Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Battery Charger Advice-x758

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks

Battery Charger Advice-x758

Hi Guys

I’ve never used any form of battery charger or drip charger but I’m thinking with the x758 entering almost 3 years old and winter it might be a good idea to get your advice. I don’t want to damage my battery either however.

I generally use the x758 once a week, but over winter only use it to tackle snow storms.

What charger do you advise?
    Any tips?
    Do you leave it plugged in all over winter or does it only switch on when the charge begins to drop or something?

Any advice appreciated!
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    I have two Batteryminders. I installed a pigtail on my JD 3032e that connects to the battery and the other end is installed in the upper left corner of grille panel so it is easy to just plug it up to the batteryminder when tractor is parked. The other one is used on my Craftsman Pro lawn tractor. The battery is below the seat and easy to access so I attach the other batteryminder to the battery posts with alligator clips when mower is not in use. The batteryminder safely keeps the batteries charged and also extends their life by desulphuring the plates in the battery. This is the 5th season for my mower battery and I have never had a mower battery last that long.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    Hi Guys

Iíve never used any form of battery charger or drip charger but Iím thinking with the x758 entering almost 3 years old and winter it might be a good idea to get your advice. I donít want to damage my battery either however.

I generally use the x758 once a week, but over winter only use it to tackle snow storms.

What charger do you advise?
    Any tips?
    Do you leave it plugged in all over winter or does it only switch on when the charge begins to drop or something?

Any advice appreciated!

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    I use Battery Tenders on all my equipment with batteries...year round. I'm convinced they will extend your battery life. They are cheap insurance. Also the battery tenders have a year warranty and they "DO" honor it. Just send them the old one and they send you a new one. I use both the singles and the double chargers.
    PaDave likes this.
    John Deere 5320 4WD with 520 FEL, MX-8 Mower, X585 with 45 FEL, X300, LT 133

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    SRG
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Thanks
    Here is some info/pic on what I used (parts) to install a battery tender SAE port on my machine.
    870 Block heater installation - Page 5

I primarily use it in the winter, when a battery has to work the hardest. Every once in a blue moon during the warmer months. The SAE panel socket makes it super easy to hookup.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Thanks
    Based on your reported usage, you don't need anything. The issue with lead acid batteries and their state of charge is the potential for the plates to sulfate. In a prolonged discharged state, the plates of a lead acid battery will sulfate, permanently decreasing the capacity of the battery proportional to how long it remains in a discharged state. All lead acid batteries self-discharge over time and left in that state for a prolonged period will result in sulfated plates. This is what a battery tender is designed to prevent. Of course, leaving a battery connected to a regular charger for an extended period of time will result in an overcharge, the electrolyte vaporizing and being vented from the cell. Again, a good battery tender prevents this, also.

Your running your machine long enough to maintain the state of charge and the time between snow storms is not long enough for the battery to self discharge and the plates to sulfate.

I have jet skis, motorcycles, generator and collectors cars. I haven't ever deployed a battery tender. Rather, I pull all the batteries and store them in my workshop where the temp is no lower than 50F and I connect them to a low current charge for 24 hours twice over the winter. I typically receive 5 years of life from lead acid jet ski and motorcycle batteries. I'm migrating over to AGM batteries (glass mat) when I can find them at a price point that I can cost justify them against the cost/life span of the same application's lead acid battery.
    Gra$$guy728, ttazzman and MacCool like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Here is some info/pic on what I used (parts) to install a battery tender SAE port on my machine.
    870 Block heater installation - Page 5

I primarily use it in the winter, when a battery has to work the hardest. Every once in a blue moon during the warmer months. The SAE panel socket makes it super easy to hookup.
    This is great, because I already have this piggy tail harness on the battery for my 25G sprayer, and surely I could use this for both the sprayer, and when not in use the battery charger.

For me I could wire this into my little black storage case on the rear right wheel area.
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    i have had very good luck with Deltran Battery Tenders and Harbor Freight Viking 4-amp maintainers.

i will never use another Schumacher maintainer, I've had 2 go bad (or just suck) and destroy batteries by charging them over 16 volts.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    I use battery tenders, but I only leave them hooked for a day or two at a time if I think the battery needs charging.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    I'm a fan of my NOCO battery charger/maintainer. My battery is new so it hard to say that it's worked or not. I really like the dash mounted plug with voltage indicator. Super easy to use and plug in which makes you more apt to use it.

The dash unit fits right into the un-used knock outs in the dash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181208_201348.jpg
    Yank and ttazzman like this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have a couple of battery tenders and they work great. I now use a NOCO on my 1025. I ended up installing a direct line from the battery to a NOCO port which I snapped right into that blank spot on the lower dash. It is fused right at the battery terminals. Now I simply pull the tractor on, plug in the cord and battery is kept healthy. NOCO port has LEDS display battery condition. I donít even have to lift the hood. Another GTT member had done the same thing and I liked the setup.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements