Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to clean diesel engine soot from the 1025r

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks

Question How to clean diesel engine soot from the 1025r

I don't want to melt my 1025's plastic engine hood with a strong solvent / cleaner.

What products do you use to clean the soot off of your tractors?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Dawn dish soap...............Plus it's safe for little ducks and birds.....
    glc, ejb69, arlen and 4 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Auguste (08-27-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    Simple Green
    jdforever and Kbar like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mifiremedic For This Useful Post:

Auguste (08-27-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Each day, I wash my stainless coffee mug and then rinse it out and put it away so its there for my use in the AM. I used a papetowel to wash the mug and it had Dawn dish soap on it. I took the paper towel out AFTER I washed the mug and wiped the back on my plow blade where the diesel smoke hits it and gets soot on the back of the plow. Didn't rinse it off, just wiped it with the wet paper towel with some Dawn on in and then wiped it off with a dry paper towel.

Look at the actual results.

If a little Dawn does this on a wet paper towel, actually squirting it on the diesel soot and washing with a mitt and water will definitely clean the surface with very little "scrubbing"......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190219_150137425.jpg  
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 08-27-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spellain koraction
    glc, Jeff R., jdforever and 3 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Auguste (08-27-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It was after this first season of diesel soot that I began running this in my Diesel Fuel and the soot issue dropped dramatically and it also cleans the fuel system. Please make sure to run the necessary products for winter weather issues. I happen to like and use the Howe's products. There are also several other very good brands.

I will say that running this "Meaner Power Kleaner" in the fuel has reduced the smoke by at least 80%, possibly more.

The only thing better than easily removing the diesel soot is preventing it from getting on the tractor first. Several have added elbows to their exhaust pipes to route the diesel away from their front implements, which obviously would help prevent the issue as well. However, I want the exhaust to hit the area where the front quick hitch is mounted as the heat prevents ice build up on the hitch and ice build up can damage the hydraulic fittings which angle the blade.

Howes Lubricator - Meaner Power Kleaner
    wentonbrown, Firemark and EVT like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Auguste (08-27-2019)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks
    take sully's advice. i cleaned it the same way with a mitt and car wash soap. That was until I installed an exhaust elbow. There is a long thread on here on that subject.
    SulleyBear and wentonbrown like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DMagers For This Useful Post:

Auguste (08-28-2019)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Thanks
    Goof off works too. I am going to try dawn the next time. Goof off works on almost everything. It is amazing what it does as I have used cases of it doing punchlist stuff in 1 million dollar houses and condos.

It has to be wiped of with a wet rag but almost everything does.

Good luck!

WB
    kylew and Kbar like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wentonbrown For This Useful Post:

Auguste (08-30-2019)

16. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Thanks
    I've done okay with just using 409.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wentonbrown View Post
    Goof off works too. I am going to try dawn the next time. Goof off works on almost everything. It is amazing what it does as I have used cases of it doing punchlist stuff in 1 million dollar houses and condos.

It has to be wiped of with a wet rag but almost everything does.

Good luck!

WB
    Totally agree. I always have some goof off available for stubborn spots. Used the can you had to soak a rag with for years but now I just use the aerosol spray. Cleaned some stubborn sap off my truck with minimal rag rubbing and didn't damage the clear coat. Also good for those dark vertical lines rainwater makes on my gutters.
    wentonbrown likes this.

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    After you get the soot off your tractor and implements, consider a very inexpensive addition to your tractor...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6070 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	702332

It's a shortened stub of chrome plated brass, kitchen sink p-trap pipe. 1.25" I believe, held on with a stainless hose clamp.... no more dirty snow blower, front blade, or loader frames for me!!!
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

Auguste (08-30-2019)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast