Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Increased lubricity, diesel additives

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:04 PM
    Thanks

Increased lubricity, diesel additives

Im new to this tractor life and I love it. But of course I know nothing, as Sgt Shultz would say. One of the guys at church was saying he is adding ATF to his diesel since his injector pump siezed. Its what his mechanic has always used. So I started asking around. Believe it or not the JD dealer actually said he uses Marvel Mystery oil, others use outboard motor oil, bio diesel. So I will ask the community. Am I being overly concerned. I probably use about 50 gallons a year. Also I was thinking of buying a 55 gallon drum at the beginning of winter. that way I would have it for my generator if needed and if not use it in the tractor next season. I realize moisture is a concern. All inputs appreciated. If it makes a difference i'm in middle TN.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    The only additive I use is an anti gel additive in the winter, and even then I had my diesel gel up in my filter a couple of years ago. New diesels are designed to run on low sulfur fuel and in my opinion and additive is more likely to cause problems then help.

If you really want to add something its been a few years ago but I saw a study that showed what additives added the most lubrication properties to diesel, and bio was at the top of the list. Maybe if you had a much older diesel engine you might consider it more important. Maybe someone will post a link to that study.
    DanW likes this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbea View Post
    Im new to this tractor life and I love it. But of course I know nothing, as Sgt Shultz would say. One of the guys at church was saying he is adding ATF to his diesel since his injector pump siezed. Its what his mechanic has always used. So I started asking around. Believe it or not the JD dealer actually said he uses Marvel Mystery oil, others use outboard motor oil, bio diesel. So I will ask the community. Am I being overly concerned. I probably use about 50 gallons a year. Also I was thinking of buying a 55 gallon drum at the beginning of winter. that way I would have it for my generator if needed and if not use it in the tractor next season. I realize moisture is a concern. All inputs appreciated. If it makes a difference i'm in middle TN.
    Why not simply use the diesel Fuel Protect product that JD sells (TY26787)? Pour some in and fa-git-about-it. It only requires ~2 oz. per 5-gallon container so the 16 oz. $6.63 bottle goes a long way. I use the winter formula all year round.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuel_protect.jpg  
    Kennyd, glc, Duke Snyder and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Why not simply use the diesel Fuel Protect product that JD sells (TY26787)? Pour some in and fa-git-about-it. It only requires ~2 oz. per 5-gallon container so the 16 oz. $6.63 bottle goes a long way. I use the winter formula all year round.

I use JD winter also. Year around, in every five gallon jug.
    glc and OxPath like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Funny this came up..

My cardlock fuel company just sent a letter saying some "new" diesel will be avl @ the private pumps.

Yea Oregon is NO Self Serve......Gotta have a business to get a card for the private fuel stations...Better than waiting at the local ones for horrible service and going inside to pay......

0.30$ more per gallon but...prolongs engine life and is more friendly to to planet..bla ..bla ...bla.

I just wish they'd put in a pump for off road diesel instead......
    Dave C, wildbranch2007 and PJR832 like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Funny this came up..

My cardlock fuel company just sent a letter saying some "new" diesel will be avl @ the private pumps.

Yea Oregon is NO Self Serve......Gotta have a business to get a card for the private fuel stations...Better than waiting at the local ones for horrible service and going inside to pay......

0.30$ more per gallon but...prolongs engine life and is more friendly to to planet..bla ..bla ...bla.

I just wish they'd put in a pump for off road diesel instead......
    Just make sure it isn't some bio-diesel blend. You don't want that stuff.
    johnH123 and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Lots of guys use nothing and the tractors run just fine for a long, long time.
    I prefer to use Stanadyne Performance, as thats what I run in the VW, and its pretty highly regarded. Plus I never have to worry about temperatures. Helps with lubricity, and keeps fuel from "gelling".

I would advise NOT using ATF or 2 Stroke oil, people do it all the time, but that doesnt make it good. They are not designed to do anything to help pumps or injection systems.
    I found out some time back that adding it to diesel can actually do more harm than good. There was (probably still is) a test out there regarding different additives to diesel fuel with regard to lubricity, cetane, etc, along with a few other tests thrown in too. If I run across it, Ill post a link.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks

Well thanks...I just went dumpster diving for the letter.

It reads "The Ultra Clean" Pat Pending blend of Renewable Diesel & Biodiesel
    ( 20% renewable ,20% Bio D , 60% standard diesel)

bla bla ....Increased lubricity and more complete combustion of bio diesel

YUK....my guess is this is no good huh?

Most stations only have the bio D ...I think its S 90 or whatever. 10% bio.

A few stations give you a choice....Time of year used to be a factor on the good gas ..Its all but gone now.

Just a couple stations in a 30 mi radius with Non Ethanol reg gas....$5 + per gallon
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks

Not a problem for us

We've been running bio-diesel blend for . . . at least 10 years. The only issue we've had was when we first started using it. It cleaned the fuel systems and the accumulation plugged the filters on one tractor. As I recall we started with 5% and now run 15%. We've literally not had a fuel, injector or pump problem running it.

My brother works with a guy who jumps into thing in a big way. He started making his own bio-diesel and ran his Mercedes on 100% bio for several years until he sold the car. So, my direct experience and second hand experience were both good with bio-diesel. Admittedly we seldom get below 0 F here and then it's usually only for a few hours so users in colder climates may have another experience.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Well thanks...I just went dumpster diving for the letter.

It reads "The Ultra Clean" Pat Pending blend of Renewable Diesel & Biodiesel
    ( 20% renewable ,20% Bio D , 60% standard diesel)

bla bla ....Increased lubricity and more complete combustion of bio diesel

YUK....my guess is this is no good huh?

Most stations only have the bio D ...I think its S 90 or whatever. 10% bio.

A few stations give you a choice....Time of year used to be a factor on the good gas ..Its all but gone now.

Just a couple stations in a 30 mi radius with Non Ethanol reg gas....$5 + per gallon

I am in Oregon, and I pump my own diesel almost 100% of the time for my Dodge Ram 3500. It is legal to pump your own diesel fuel here in Oregon. I've only been to one station where they would not allow it. It was at Fred Meyer's in Sandy, where the same pump dispensed gasoline and diesel. They absolutely insisted that I could not pump my own, so I left without filling up. Usually, I only let pump-monkeys fuel me up when I'm all dressed up and going somewhere nice for dinner, or some such, and make double sure they don't select and grab a gasoline pump handle. I've had to stop more than one from doing that in my time!

My local 76 station has off-road diesel that only has B5 (5% biodiesel), and it is not dyed red either. In fact, they only have one underground storage tank for diesel, so both "on-road" and "off-road" diesel come out of the same nozzle. They just charge the off-road price if you tell them it's for off-road, ...and pump it into something other than your car or truck.
    Treefarmer likes this.
    • 2019 1025R
    • 120R Loader - 53" Bucket
    • 54" Mower Deck - Auto-Attach, Independent Lift Option, Mulch Kit
    • Beet Juice in Rear Tires

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast