Advice on how to loosen a very tight bolt?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Advice on how to loosen a very tight bolt?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:07 PM
    Thanks

Advice on how to loosen a very tight bolt?

Hi,

I purchased a new extended hook for my ihitch and was trying last weekend to remove the nuts. I have a very large wrench but I cannot get the nut to come loose.

Is this normal and do I just need to give it more pressure by maybe using an extension to get more leverage?

The hitch is about 3 years old and not left out in the weather. (my tractor has a nice home) I have used WD40 but that didnt help.

Thanks for your help!
    JD4044M likes this.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 AM
    Thanks
    Yes the factory nuts are on there tight as sin. I used a 3 foot piece of pipe on a 1/2" ratchet to get mine off.
    glc, etcallhome, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    Try some other penetrant, IIrC PB blaster tested very well in a YouTube video.

Try an impact wrench, sometimes the hammering of an impact is more effective in starting a stick fastener than pure torque is.

Heat, heat the nut, not the bolt and try removing it.

Lastly try more brute force with a longer extension, etc.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    The top hook on the iMatch is notoriously very tight.

Got mine loose with a 25Ē breaker bar - a tool I use a lot since I donít have much power in my hands anymore.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...bar-62729.html

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	A1000198-1B5A-44BA-A970-FDC0D5FC9B18.jpeg†
Views:	156†
Size:	45.6 KB†
ID:	706944
    glc, Zebrafive, keane and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with others and will add WD-40 isn't a penetrating fluid that will help much. You are better off getting a penetrating fluid. They are also best to spray, let it sit overnight and do it again. Keep repeating until you break it free.

In the military we would use "cheater bars" which were large sections of metal pipe with an opening big enough to go over the handle on a 1/2" or 3/4" breaker bar. A pipe that is 4' long or so will loosen about anything we ever tried to mess with. Well it will either loosen it, break the bolt or the breaker bar. The tricky part is keeping the socket on the end of the bolt/nut. You can strip them pretty easily if you don't keep things lined up.
    glc, BigJim55, coaltrain and 4 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 AM
    Thanks
    Honestly fellas, mine broke free easily with an extension. Didn't need heat, oil, impact, etc. Just a longer lever did the trick.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

mdgilbreath†(09-27-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I agree with others and will add WD-40 isn't a penetrating fluid that will help much. You are better off getting a penetrating fluid. They are also best to spray, let it sit overnight and do it again. Keep repeating until you break it free.

In the military we would use "cheater bars" which were large sections of metal pipe with an opening big enough to go over the handle on a 1/2" or 3/4" breaker bar. A pipe that is 4' long or so will loosen about anything we ever tried to mess with. Well it will either loosen it, break the bolt or the breaker bar. The tricky part is keeping the socket on the end of the bolt/nut. You can strip them pretty easily if you don't keep things lined up.
    Been there/done that with my pickup a couple years ago.

Making a long story short - getting the lug nuts off my F-150 one year to change over to winter set took a 1/2 breaker bar with a 5í pipe. I thought each and every one would break something with all the force I was putting on the pipe. When the lug nuts broke loose there was a heck of a ďbangĒ.

I was using a really old set of S-K tools at the time. I had to use a 2Ē extension so I could keep the breaker bar/pipe in line. Like you said itís hard to keep the socket square on the nut. On the very last one - the 32nd nut - something did break - it was the 2Ē extension. But the nut must have broken loose at the same time.

I wonít get into the whole story but in the end I had a long talk with the shop supervisor at the Ford dealership shop.
    glc, etcallhome, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    The top hook on the iMatch is notoriously very tight.

Got mine loose with a 25Ē breaker bar - a tool I use a lot since I donít have much power in my hands anymore.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...bar-62729.html

I bought the cheaper version that does not have the "rubber" handle grip. Also 1/2" and 25" long.
    For when it wont work, I bought a 3/4" drive breaker bar with a 40" handle and a 3/4' to 1/2" adapter

Now I am thinking of getting a 3/4" ratchet head and 36" handle Been looking at used ones on ebay
    glc, BigJim55, coaltrain and 3 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I bought the cheaper version that does not have the "rubber" handle grip. Also 1/2" and 25" long.
    For when it wont work, I bought a 3/4" drive breaker bar with a 40" handle and a 3/4' to 1/2" adapter

Now I am thinking of getting a 3/4" ratchet head and 36" handle Been looking at used ones on ebay
    I just use a 5í cheater pipe if I need it. If I break the HF breaker bar itís no big deal as I paid around $15 for it.

If that isnít enough then I have no business messing with it.

However - I just finally broke down and ordered a Milwaukee Fuel mid torque impact wrench this morning. Itís something Iíve needed for a long time. I didnít opt for the big boy max torque job because, again, if I need something like that I shouldnít be messing with it.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Several years ago I had to put a bushing, which was left off by the dealer, on the center link frame on my MX7 rotary cutter. The nut was impossible to remove with wrench, cheater bar, impact wrench, torque multiplier, etc. Wound up cutting the bolt at the head with a sawzall to remove. Believe the bolt was a grade 8 so cutting it was a job also, until I put rotary cutter on jack stands so that the frame flex was removed. Dealer admitted they left the bushing off but said no problem to install so said OK give me the bushing and Iíll get this done in just a few minutes. A few minutes turned into a couple of hours but won the battle, so to speak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tomfive, BigJim55, kylew and 2 others like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast