Operator manuals in .pdf format?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jgayman
  • 2 Post By jgayman
  • 1 Post By 56Nine

Thread: Operator manuals in .pdf format?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Thanks

Question Operator manuals in .pdf format?

I am looking for "Operator Manuals" for the things that I bought from JD in .pdf format that I can store, and access, locally on a tablet or phone without having internet access.

Everything that I find on the JD site for operator manuals are hot linked pages from an on-line table of contents page for whatever manual being viewed. It would be nice to have a PDF file of the complete document available in the field for quick reference, without making a trip to the house. ...and no, I don't want to carry all of the printed manuals with me. I hate getting the paper versions all greasy, grimy, and torn up.

In particular, at the moment, I am looking for the operators manual of my 54D MMM. Are stand alone documents available anywhere?
    • 2019 1025R
    • 120R Loader - 53" Bucket
    • 54" Mower Deck - Auto-Attach, Independent Lift Option, Mulch Kit
    • Beet Juice in Rear Tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Never mind, what I suggested only does it for the displayed page, I apologize.
    Last edited by JustinHEMI; 10-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    2019 2038R, dual rear vavles, power beyond, 220R loader, 57" HD bucket, iMatch, R3+ tires, JD premium LED light kit, wheel spacers, Artillian diverter, EA wicked root grapple, Heavy Hitch "flexible ballast" and bolt on toothbar, Ken's extended iMatch hook and loader grip, Titan forks, Woods BB60X rotary cutter, CRI stump bucket, Fit Rite hydraulics top link.

1940 John Deere H with PTO, hand start.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    To my knowledge, Deere doesn't have any PDF format digital copies of the Operator's manuals. (They do for technical service manuals!)

Not sure what you use for a web browser but if you look at the online operator's manual, there is a "Print" function at the very top of the index column on the left-hand side of the page. If I click on that on my laptop, the print dialog comes up and Chrome allows me to select "Save as PDF" as my printer. If I do that it saves the entire Operator's manual as a PDF on my local hard drive. That's the end result you are looking for, yes?
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    To my knowledge, Deere doesn't have any PDF format digital copies of the Operator's manuals. (They do for technical service manuals!)

Not sure what you use for a web browser but if you look at the online operator's manual, there is a "Print" function at the very top of the index column on the left-hand side of the page. If I click on that on my laptop, the print dialog comes up and Chrome allows me to select "Save as PDF" as my printer. If I do that it saves the entire Operator's manual as a PDF on my local hard drive. That's the end result you are looking for, yes?
    They sure do. They have Printed, Download (PDF) and CDROM copies of pretty much every manual. The PDF 1-series manual is $37.18. You can get PDF copies of the Technical Manual, Parts Book, Operator's Manual. There are also PDF manuals for attachments like snow blowers, 17P cart, mower deck, etc.

Warm up your credit card ahead of time as most of the PDF Operator's Manuals are in the $37-$42 range.
    arlen and kylew like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

Using Chrome. I tried that already. It only "prints" the page(s) being currently viewed, not the entire document.

I suppose that I could print to PDF for each section and then compile all of them into one Acrobat file, ...but what a PITA!

It makes no sense to me why JD can't/won't supply digital operator manuals to verified buyers of their equipment. It's not like I want a service manual for free, just a stinking operator's manual for a product that I bought from them.
    Last edited by KTManiac; 10-06-2019 at 07:08 PM.
    • 2019 1025R

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KTManiac View Post
    Using Chrome. I tried that already. It only "prints" the page(s) being currently viewed, not the entire document.

I suppose that I could print to PDF for each section and then compile all of them into one Acrobat file, ...but what a PITA!

It makes no sense to me why JD can't/won't supply digital operator manuals to verified buyers of their equipment. It's not like I want a service manual for free, just a stinking operator's manual for a product that I bought from them.
    Why would they do that when they sell the PDF manuals for $40 a pop? They already provided a free printed copy.

Be happy that they provide easy access to the on-line manuals. Not many manufacturers do that. Try Kubota some time. The links take you right to a "Buy Me Now" site. I just wish JD didn't remove access to on-line Operator's Manuals for older equipment. It's the older equipment that is likely to be purchased used without a manual and having access to an on-line copy allows the new owner to familiarize themselves with the safe operation of the machine.
    wildbranch2007 and kylew like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

Well, I compiled a single document of OMLVU26521 Issue H2, which I assume is the latest revision for the 60D & 54D AutoConnect MMM (which is a different revision from the paper operator's manual that came with my 54D [OMLVU26521 Issue F7, printed 7/17 near as I can tell] that was purchased at the end of August 2019)

Next, I need to strip the URL hot links, and then link the Table of Contents listings to the appropriate pages & views of the completed full document. That will take a while before I can get to that, but shouldn't take too long to get it done once I start on it.
    • 2019 1025R

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    After you get it all figgered out, go ahead and fix this one up so i can click one button to print the whole thing, please, while yer idling......

OMLVU25849
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Thanks
    Personally I print as little as I absolutely can, but know not everyone is the same. There are a couple of options that may be helpful to retrieve the manual you're looking for:

1) from a command line enter $wget -r -l 2 -k OMLVU25849 This will download the latest 1025r "landing page" as well as anything linked to it. Note: you have to have wget installed on the PC, I use MAC and it's native, windows users can get the installer. Once it's downloaded, navigate to the directory the files were downloaded, find index.html/?tM and change remove '/?tM'. Index.html will now open in a browser of choice if you want a table of contents in the left pane and content in the right, open toc.html to just have hyper links to the pages to display full browser window. It will navigate just like the web page, except not require an internet connection. I have not found a good way to use this with a cell phone, and it does not play well with could storage (Google, Box, Dropbox).

2) If you have adobe acrobat, you can down load the site by following the directions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/usin...pages-pdf.html the problem doing it this way a) is that from the landing page all the links point back to the same URL as the web page, and 2) the specific pages show up in the PDF bookmark list with the same name.

3) combining the two processes, yields the best results. Download the page as outlined in step 1 with all the links, use acrobat to combine them into one file step 2. Upload to your cloud service of choice and you'll be good to go and can access with all devices.

The attached PDF is of the 1025r manual using both steps, and re-arranging the table of contents to the front. This link OMLVU25849_19.pdf - Google Drive is the manual from my google drive. The links in the preview mode don't work, but once downloaded they do. If you choose to print it, it's crazy wasteful as many of the 260 pages are mostly empty.

I know it's a bit of putzing, but worth in IMHO to need internet connection to view the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    KTManiac likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

arlen (10-07-2019), KTManiac (10-08-2019)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements