I need a grease gun. Any recommendations?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: I need a grease gun. Any recommendations?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks

I need a grease gun. Any recommendations?

I just bought a new 1025R a few months ago. I only have 12 hours on it, but I know that I'll need to grease the fittings sooner than later. What grease gun do you guys recommend. I see the LockNLube commercials all the time. Is the LockNLube Professional Pistol-Grip Grease Gun as good as they say?
    2019 - John Deere 1025R, 120R Loader, 260 Backhoe, Block Heater, iMatch, Frontier AP10F Pallet Forks

2019 - Iron Bull, Equipment Trailer, 83”x16', 10,000 GVWR
    2018 - Iron Bull, Dump Trailer, 6'x12', 10,000 GVWR
    Stihl saws - MS 271 Farm Boss, 034, HT 56 C-E

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    The lock n lube tip is a no brainer....get one...Yes its worth it.

If your tooled up for De Walt or Milwaukie cordless tools....Get one of the cordless gg's

I have the De walt....Works great.
    I'd have rather bought Milwaukie but DW was on sale and I needed a new battery anyway.

Can't go wrong with either. AND its the season they will go on sale SOON.

What I don't like in the cordless is the ability to "feel" how the fitting is taking grease.

There are times I revert to the oldschool hand pump guns...I have about a dozen scattered about the sheds & barns.

Some dedicated to certain greases...Corn Head ,The gooey orange stuff for excavater ,Red ,Black...and some others .

The LNL tip is so far ....perfect.
    Dr Kubar, ttazzman and biodiesel like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post

If your tooled up for De Walt or Milwaukie cordless tools....Get one of the cordless gg's

I have the De walt....Works great.
    I'd have rather bought Milwaukie but DW was on sale and I needed a new battery anyway.
    I was looking at the Dewalt 20V cordless grease gun. I already have a lot of their tools and a variety of batteries. Maybe that's the way to go, huh? As you suggested, I can add the LockNLube coupler for a better setup.
    Ripsaw likes this.
    2019 - John Deere 1025R, 120R Loader, 260 Backhoe, Block Heater, iMatch, Frontier AP10F Pallet Forks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
    I was looking at the Dewalt 20V cordless grease gun. I already have a lot of their tools and a variety of batteries. Maybe that's the way to go, huh? As you suggested, I can add the LockNLube coupler for a better setup.

I got my DW for 99 bux iirc...it works for a long time with the 2.0 battery.

Now they have them on sale with a plastic case..and whatever else.

Its got a nice long hose...put my LNL tip on it.

Now the only downer I've encountered.....the tip needs a swivel as the LNL lever ended up in an odd position and is sometimes akward to pull on lever and have it clear whatever ( loader frame ,excavater hoses...etc).

I think theres a new fix for this someone posted recently. Somesort of swilel dealiO

Otherwise...you will be way happy if your tooled up for DW.

I bought it ..( my only 20 v tool) and the adapter to run the 20v batts on all my 18v stuff.

18v batteries are still running 99 bux and I'm not playing that game...can get 2 of the 20v for 80 or less .

Ohh....the spring on the DW GG is one beast...I've had Jr. open it up the 2 times we've changed grease tubes.
    Last edited by theduke; 10-20-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post

What I don't like in the cordless is the ability to "feel" how the fitting is taking grease.
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have a couple manual grease guns and a Milwaukee M18 gun - all with LnL couplers. I prefer the lever type instead of the pistol grip. There is something satisfying about the "feel" of grease smoothly flowing into the zerk confirming that everything is free and clear. :-)

I've had the best luck with the Workforce heavy duty grease guns that Tractor Supply sells.
    Last edited by jgayman; 10-20-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    rtgt and Dr Kubar like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Thanks
    I admit that it would be nice to have a battery operated grease gun and I have both DeWalt and Milwaukee stuff. But there just is not enough grease zerks, nor the need to grease often enough, to justify the cost. I have 2 JD grease guns and and a Plews grease gun. I have the Lock&Lube on one of the JD guns and a swivel nozzle on the other. One has the rubber hose. That lets me pretty much get to anything I need. However, one of the JD guns is the pistol grip and it is difficult to operate as it takes more hand strength. I would not recommend it. The Plews grease gun is used only to put cheap grease in gear boxes that tend to leak gear oil.

Dave
    rtgt, coaltrain, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks

Grease Gun

Go for the Lube-Shuttle -- great system

rob
    1025R
    JD 647 Tiller
    JD 120R front end loader
    Heavy Hitch Super Duty single weight rack with cart
    8 JD suitcase weights (42 lbs)
    Heavy Hitch bucket tooth bar
    Ken's hooks, 2' receiver, seat springs, chain shortener and new handle for using the left loader mast to mount up
    Mirror on right loader mast
    RB 2060 rear blade
    54" front quick mount snow blower
    Winter Rear Chains
    Electric Linear Actuator for snow chute
    2 of Ken's bolt on chain boxes

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robwheeler View Post
    Go for the Lube-Shuttle -- great system

rob
    Rob, I just watched this video before I even saw that you posted!

New Grease Gun Technology! Greasing The 1025R/1023E Drive Shaft - YouTube

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    If I may say get a pair of glasses before you grease a ujoint. Have had a few (not on the tractor so far) that squirt grease as the seal let's the grease escape. Much easier to wash the glasses then the eye. Tho to be honest some grease is still a bugger to get off glasses.
    biodiesel likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    Greasing a JD SCUT drive train is very awkward. It’s hard to lie on the ground to get the U joints and try to manipulate a lever-type grease gun underneath the tractor. The Milwaukee makes all that a lot simpler. LockNLube tip is a must, however.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast