Green Tractor Talk banner

Used Hydro Oil

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ttazzman 
#1 ·
Quick question. What are some of the other members doing with their used hydraulic oil? I've changed my hydraulic oil and I'm left with the used oil. Is there something usefull I can do with it?

#10 ·
I have several clean 5 gal buckets with lids. So when I do my hydraulic fluid change I am going to save it just in case it is needed. Nothing wrong with it when removed at the right time. So if I store it right and something like a ripped out hydraulic line I can save a few hundred dollars and still keep the tractor working till I can afford new. Just don't want to throw it away. My old Massy135 got the used oil from my Water Tender I put it in the transmission and engine to keep it running up to over 11,000 hours when I sold it. Don't do this to your new JD's and I won't do it to mine till just about wore out and leaking fluids big time.

#11 ·
Just as most posters, there are many places in my neck of the woods that take used oils free of charge.

Some guys use it to seal there trailer decks, but, most say it's not quite as good as used motor oil. :unknown:

#13 ·
Don’t yell, but I save it along with engine oil to help start large brush burn piles :banghead:

#15 · (Edited)
Shhhhhhhh! I do too. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Gebada22
#16 ·
Cold weather lube

I use it for bar oil in colder weather. I'm not as thrilled when it's hot as it seems to mostly sling off the chain. Sometimes I'll blend it.

It's a pretty good rust preventative/lube on things that are exposed to weather. Not as good as Fluid Film but I've got several gallons sitting around. It was the recommended lube for Woodmizer rails that the cutting head ran on as it didn't attract sawdust as much as heavier oils.

Treefarmer

Reactions: jdforever
#18 ·
I save my clean jd hydro oil....works good in Dozer carrages... general topical lube....leak replacement etc....use dirty motor oil for burn piles, sealing, soaking wood posts.......local auto parts will take any I want to dump....I heat my shop with geothermal so cheaply it's not worth me messing with to burn it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.