Green Tractor Talk banner

Diesel fuel life span

15K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  HydroHarold 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking of storing diesel fuel in a 55 gal drum and adding a pump to fuel my tractor, but I was wondering how long can you keep diesel in a drum an it not go bad. Does it degrade like gas over time.
PS. My first post here on the forum and probably should have put this post in another place. Sorry!

#2 ·
No worries, I moved it for you.:good2:

:wgtt:

Diesel fuel in general will last a long time. However there are several factors that can contribute to degradation of your fuel. Where it's stored, temp, exposure to excessive temps or temp swings, humidity, quality of the fuel, sealed vs vented tank, how full the tank is, etc. etc. So there is no concrete answer here. I would use a quality additive and store it preferably inside out of the weather.

#3 ·
I store diesel for months in the winter. I also try to keep the containers full, as well as the tank on the tractor. I think having too much area for condensation, thereby getting water in the fuel, is my biggest worry, not the age of the fuel. My $0.02.

And Welcome! Glad you made your first post!

Reactions: Caloosakid
#5 ·
The biggest issue with drums is rust, and the seal when standing upright. Water gets in.
Under a lean-to, or in a barn, it's no problem, and any condensation gets dealt with, by a good additive and the fuel filter globe.

Algae can be an issue sometimes, but again a good additive will keep it down.

2-3 years should be no problem if stored right, but if 55Gal lasts you that long, there are other issues afoot.

#6 ·
Where and how you store it

We were just kicking this subject around here in the petroleum lab here in the refinery. The general agreement is about two years easily IF.... you use one of those blue poly drum (made to hold hydro-carbons) so it won't rust. Keep it under cover like a lean to or a shed and add some additive to remove water. In those circumstances two years is fairly easy (if not longer). I assume you aren't looking at long term storage but more like over a winter etc. It should last just fine.

#7 ·
I usually get 45 gallon each year in a drum. Condensation would be my biggest concern if it wasn't stored in a temperature controlled environment.
I'd probably even put up with some condensation though if it was an issue for the convenience of pumping the stuff.

Reactions: Caloosakid
#9 · (Edited)
:hi::wgtt:

Welcome from the top of Maine!

I use small #2 heating oil tank that I store in my heated garage. I believe it holds 130 gallons. I use about 60 gallons per year and get it topped off every spring. A good fuel additive helps out...........here's a pic of my setup. Sure beats running to the gas station with 5 gallon cans.

Attachments

#10 ·
CaloosaKid,

One suggestion is to check with your local authorities to make sure there aren't any regulations or rules on fuel storage. The EPA defines an Above Ground Storage Tank (AST) as any container 55 gallons and larger used for storing fuels and petroleum products and AST's come under Fed regulations. Most Fed regulations cover much larger tanks (1,100 gallons and larger) but state and local communities are allowed to adopt stricter regs than the EPA and some communities can have some regs for any size tank like spill plans, confinement basins, etc. In our community, for 50 gallons you need to label it with the proper flammable hazard sticker, you can't store it inside where vapors can accumulate (unless you vent it outside) and can't have it where a spill can contaminate a waterway. That's the basics that most states require but again, some local communities can have some really strict rules. Violating these can carry some strict fines and a trend is to go after the fuel suppliers for delivering fuel to illegal storage tanks or not reporting them to authorities.

#11 ·
Plus, don't forget your friendly inquisitive Insurance Man! You're dead if there's a problem and the big red squirter truck with the red lights has to come for some reason... or some other official visit reason even!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.