Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Dealer miss hap.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    12-02-2018 @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks

Dealer miss hap.

I was looking for the deluxe grill guard for my tractor. While I was at the dealer picking up some parts , I asked if they had this item in stock. They said they did at another store. They gave me the price ( witch I have been kicking around ) and said they could have it shipped over. So I told them to ship it. I still was in doubts that it was worth over $100 a piece ( 3 pieces in kit part #bw16585 ). I went today to pick it up today and had them open the box up. When I took out one of the pieces it looked like they slid it across the shop floor. A lot of the paint was scratched off and rusting. I told them I was not going to pay full price or at least through in a can of paint. He called his supervisor over and ask him what they could do for me with this. He looked at it for a minute and said I guess we will have to order a new kit. My response was I was not making another trip back to the dealer and left. On the way home the parts guy ( not supervisor ) calls and said he did not like the answer I was given and ask the owner what they could do. He offered me 10% off the price. Had they made this offer while I was standing their I would have accepted that. I said I think the reason you have this in stock was because the last guy would not accept it either the way it was for new price. I told them I had made up my mind and did not want the item any more. I have no harsh feelings toward the parts guy , he has given me discounts on other things. The supervisor ( one of the brothers kid who own dealership ) on the other hand needs to stay in the back room a away from the public. He will not even acknowledge you when standing at the counter , walks past you no eye contact , nothing.
    I have been around this dealership in the past when I was working for AG business. They bought a sprayer from them and the owner had to ride with me to show me how to operate the computer screens. So no bashing on them , just the supervisor ticked me off today and had to vent. So now I am going to make a brush protection guard , just not the headlight guard. I have no way to bend the pipe. I will post up a picture when I get it finished.
    Levi, FredHickory and Daveb like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks

Frustrating for sure

Well, the business has a first line employee who gets it and a management person who doesn't. My guess is that in the long run the parts guy who's trying to do the right thing will get frustrated and leave. Probably the same thing is happening in the back of the shop unless the shop foreman is keeping the management types out of the shop and treating customers right on the sly.

Either the junior manager will learn or the dealership is in trouble. The question is whether he will learn quick enough to keep the good employees and customers.

Treefarmer
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Well, the business has a first line employee who gets it and a management person who doesn't. My guess is that in the long run the parts guy who's trying to do the right thing will get frustrated and leave. Probably the same thing is happening in the back of the shop unless the shop foreman is keeping the management types out of the shop and treating customers right on the sly.

Either the junior manager will learn or the dealership is in trouble. The question is whether he will learn quick enough to keep the good employees and customers.

Treefarmer

Same bunch of sh1t at the bike shop that I used to work for. Then the owner wonders why sales are so low. He thinks it's because we don't get enough door swings.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks
    For years I delivered flash parts ( machine down ) for Deere. You would be surprised what I have seen come out of the Milan parts depot. Scratched, bent, open boxes, boxes with pieces sticking through the cardboard. What I am saying it's not the dealers fault but since it was at another location of the dealership they should have communicated between them selves and saved you the trip in.

if if you are making your own, I saw a cheap tubing bender at harbor freight. That might be fine for a job or two. Good luck and keep us up to speed with pictures.
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    For years I delivered flash parts ( machine down ) for Deere. You would be surprised what I have seen come out of the Milan parts depot. Scratched, bent, open boxes, boxes with pieces sticking through the cardboard. What I am saying it's not the dealers fault but since it was at another location of the dealership they should have communicated between them selves and saved you the trip in.

if if you are making your own, I saw a cheap tubing bender at harbor freight. That might be fine for a job or two. Good luck and keep us up to speed with pictures.
    Drifterbike---i just heard of this today--while i waiting in the office of the lawn and garden side. their was a sign hanging on his wall that said to the customer who has warranty on ur machine that JD will no longer pay for this delivery of parts--unless u as the customer pays it. heck i had never even heard of machine down before. just as overnight freight before, and i knew it was extra money for that.
    so evidently JD's warranty paid for this in the past, not so now.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 2 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post

I was at the HVAC parts house yesterday. The parts guy took my FSIL down the isle to shop for parts. Seeing I'm trying to learn the business I followed them. This was an old wooden shelf system that barely fit the 3 of us. Well my FSIL picked up a damaged box part. After deciding on the part he put it back and gabbed the perfect box one next to it. He said I don't know what happened to the open one. Being a parts guy I cracked the joke. The open one was probably returned by you on a prior date. The 2 of them got a good laugh.

I learned the parts business the hard way over 20 years. Any time I seen any open or damaged box I would inspect the parts. Also to see if it is missing any type of mounting/special hardware. Especially if it was right before a customer wanted to buy it or was calling about it before coming to the store. Same thing if another dealer was on the phone inquiring about buying the parts. I'm not going to lie about doing 100% of them but I did my best. Also I wanted to make sure that I had the part in my hand before telling any phone inquiries that it was available.

This way I was assured that no one would be disappointed. Then I didn't have to worry about the part coming back like a boomerang. If the customer wanted to return the part because of damage I knew that he did it.

Unfortunately this kind of stuff happens in any type of parts business.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 03-08-2017 at 07:12 AM.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks

Dealer miss hap.

So the kid was the owners relative. Huh. Maybe a nice phone call.

We had the same experience when we bought my wife's Mazda CX-9. It was used and on the lot for six months. They wanted 21K for it. I offered 20 thinking we'd meet in the middle. Little snot nose wouldn't budge and was very rude. We walked out.

I should mention that I had access to see what these were going for at auction and new we were giving them a better deal.

Anyway a week goes by and they call us to see if we have considered their offer. Nope haven't. Don't need it and after being treated the way we were not going to either.

We finally did make a deal. And it's what I wanted originally. But it took the owner getting involved. He was nice and said I wasn't being unreasonable.

Some people just need to learn not to be as$holes.
    Levi, BigJim55, spferdil and 1 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    I received a call the other day from one of the shops I have delivered to over the past years. We talked for a while and I asked him how were things from Advance.. Wrong thing to ask seems the other day he ordered a new (not reman) alternator. He noticed the box had been opened , but in the stores defense , drivers and commercial sales manager has a habit of opening the box before delivery. We've saved a lot of 2nd trips to the customer by doing this. Back to the delivered part , Joe puts part on the rack because he has the old one ready to take off. After driver leaves opened the new box ,,,WTHeck he finds a dirtier alternator than the one he just took off.
    He calls the store tells them what he found, Sorry we'll get one out to you .. He is one of our customers 20-30 mins from the store on a good day of interstate driving. Guess he never received his NEW part till way ,way later that afternoon.. He was not a Happy Camper...guessing looking in the box that day fell thru the cracks.

In your case, I believe I would have asked for 15-20 % off the price instead of accepting the 10%. Yes it was nice someone had the BaL_s to know what or who keeps the doors opened day to day. I've seen the same thing at Adv over the years. One store manager will bend over backwards and do flips if asked and the new manager will tell the customer "Sorry there is nothing we can do."
    When I was outside tech I tried my best to satisfy the customer, with out them ,,no job,no work and finally no money coming in. Yes MaBell at that time had no competitors ,,they do now. As we've talked on here about Frontier and other companies some don't learn till it is to late.

Don't know if this is some of Sears and the other companies folding or crumbling over the years.
    Levi, BigJim55, spferdil and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    One of my regular customers calls about a speed sensor. Seeing we only had one I needed to check it. The way I look at it is if the computer says one we have none until I put my hands on it. Part is actually in stock. A week later he comes in to buy it. When I pull the part I found the following. Someone had bit open the corner of the sealed bag. (Service department) Upon removing it the part was clean but smelled like transmission fluid. The customer agreed to buy it at 15% off. I kept the bag as evidence. Ended up needing this evidence to cover my butt. Someone in the office noticed the discount and complained to the owner about it. Then I got the third degree. After explaining everything the owner said that I did the right thing. They still changed it in the computer so I could no longer discount anything. Also could not do a return sale without a managers approval. Every time I ask my boss to put his code in he goes off like a Roman candle. Like "I don't have the time for this!" Then they wonder why I was frustrated with my job.
    Been much happier since I've been let go.

The morel to the story is any time the parts package is open or damaged it presents some kind of problem. Even with a factory sealed package you can still be playing Russian roulette. lol
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 03-09-2017 at 05:35 AM.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    05-29-2017 @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks
    Start using Google reviews and hold these businesses accountable to good customer service.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    etcallhome and Drifterbike like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast