Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Hydraulic high pressure

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts

Hydraulic high pressure

This afternoon was using our old Craftsman 2000 pressure washer. While cleaning our concrete porch and sidewalks the nozzle of the washer hit my ankle and left a pretty good mark. I was talking to my neighbor and he noticed the bruise on my ankle.
    He is a manager for a PA company doing hydro seeding and guide rails.
    Anyway he told of a safety memo the other day.

Seems a truck driver , not sure what type truck or eqpt mounted on truck, but the driver noticed he had a hyd leak but could not see where it may be.
    So he runs his hand up under the cab or side of truck. He felt something hitting the palm of his hand, pulled his hand back and noticed a small pin hole in his hand. Later that night he went to the ER because his hand was swelling and hurting really bad.

Doctors had to remove part of his hand because the hyd fluid had gotten into his blood stream.

I know this has been mentioned before but just a reminder to be aware of any pressure lines.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Tomfive and 11 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

Bulitt (05-19-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 AM
    Thanks
    A piece of cardboard is what I use.Air is dangerous too.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 5 others like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    This afternoon was using our old Craftsman 2000 pressure washer. While cleaning our concrete porch and sidewalks the nozzle of the washer hit my ankle and left a pretty good mark. I was talking to my neighbor and he noticed the bruise on my ankle.
    He is a manager for a PA company doing hydro seeding and guide rails.
    Anyway he told of a safety memo the other day.

Seems a truck driver , not sure what type truck or eqpt mounted on truck, but the driver noticed he had a hyd leak but could not see where it may be.
    So he runs his hand up under the cab or side of truck. He felt something hitting the palm of his hand, pulled his hand back and noticed a small pin hole in his hand. Later that night he went to the ER because his hand was swelling and hurting really bad.

Doctors had to remove part of his hand because the hyd fluid had gotten into his blood stream.

I know this has been mentioned before but just a reminder to be aware of any pressure lines.
    ET.-that's too bad about that fella losing part of his hand. when i came back to the coal industry in 2004. my boss got oil under his skin-3 small places- i wanted to take him to the ER right away that day-but he refused to go--it turned a different color-kinda like a bad bruise --but after a week he was ok. first time i ever had seen oil go under ur skin. he claimed it was the new type of oil that was out now.
    in the old days-u never heard of anyone getting that.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 4 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks

What you don't see

What you don't see can definitely still hurt you. Hydraulic oil just ain't at all good when inserted into your body.

Years ago, I toured a coal power plant with a friend who was part of the construction/initial startup crew. He reminded me that if I heard a steam leak, do not move as you can't see superheated steam and it can cut steel, bodies etc. Fascinating tour as we went all over the facility during his regular inspection but the idea of getting parts cut off by something I couldn't see scared the bejesus out of me.

Treefarmer
    etcallhome, flyweight, tj1 and 3 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Cut my hand pretty good with a pressure washer a few years back. Just sayin!
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Good info! thx for posting!
    etcallhome, tj1 and wentonbrown like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

10. Top | #7
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    What you don't see can definitely still hurt you. Hydraulic oil just ain't at all good when inserted into your body.

Years ago, I toured a coal power plant with a friend who was part of the construction/initial startup crew. He reminded me that if I heard a steam leak, do not move as you can't see superheated steam and it can cut steel, bodies etc. Fascinating tour as we went all over the facility during his regular inspection but the idea of getting parts cut off by something I couldn't see scared the bejesus out of me.

Treefarmer
    That is why we had wooden broomsticks in various places in the plants. You used them to detect a leak and make sure the path you intended to walk was clear. Same concept as using cardboard to detect a hydraulic leak.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Worked with an old navel guy. They used wood broom handles on ships to find the steam leaks as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, tj1 and 2 others like this.
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post
    Worked with an old navel guy. They used wood broom handles on ships to find the steam leaks as well.
    600 psi steam is VERY dynamic,,,,

My ship was built in 1944,, I was on it around 1972,,,
    I stayed away from anything that looked like a steam pipe.
    We were preached all the steam pipe failure stories,,,

I can't even repeat those stories,,,,

No one mentioned diesel fuel injector lines,,,
    ?? higher pressure than hydraulics ??
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Absolutely, diesel is just as bad. But often due to less volume there is less risk. Seen the pictures at the coal mine when they have to jagged cut you open to let it bleed out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    tj1 likes this.
    "Travis" on WFM
    First year 332 with H3 added X 2, JD 3 pt, JD factory delux seat with flip pan. 430 rear diff. 430 fender deck(have two that are mirror copies of themselves). 420, two more 332's.
    Attachments:JD 44 loader, JD 50 inch mowing deck, JD 48 replacement mowing deck JD 47 two stage snow blower, JD Hyd 42 Tiller, Gannon Earthcavator 42 inch 3 point mount, Cozy cab, JD 20 plow, Brinly 12 inch plow.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast