Thread: This couldv'e been bad....

1. Top | #1
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts

Thumbs down This couldv'e been bad....

I was mowing the grass with the ol' 2720 about 10:30 this morning. There was still some dew on the grass in the shady areas. Didn't think much of it. I just did my thing as I have many times in the past. Well in backyard there is a fairly steep slope that I have to sidehill to cut it. There I was, done this a bunch of times. All of a sudden the left rear tire got light. A little wet grass and a fresh mole hole caused the tractor to start to roll to my right!

A hour later, actually only a split second later I realized nothing had happened. I didn't roll. The tractor was fine, my ROPS was up, my seat belt was on. I was prepared. I'm glad I was. I don't think the tire actually left the ground, but I'm not sure. I let off the forward pedal immediately as my butt instantly grabbed the seat. That may have stabilized the tractor. I was able to continue on a few seconds later without a scratch.

I guess why I'm sharing this with you for a few things.

1. Don't get complacent. The one time you don't use your ROPS and seatbelt when you should, it may be a very bad day. Just because you've done the same thing a hundred times before, doesn't mean something won't happen today.

2. ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. The theory behind this is simple. If the ROPS is up and you roll, the belt will hold you in the tractor and hopefully prevent major injury. If you decide to leave your ROPS down and you roll, you may have a small chance of jumping clear of a super heavy weight trying to crush you if your belt is off.

3. It CAN happen to you.

I finished cutting the grass without incident. I don't think anybody saw me panic for that split second.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, rgd and 7 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Bubber (06-22-2014), CobraDriver (07-07-2014), DRobinson (06-23-2014), farmgirl19 (06-22-2014), GADeereHunter (06-30-2014), mjncad (06-24-2014), MtnViewRanch (06-22-2014), rgd (06-23-2014), rtgt (06-22-2014), Vern1026R (06-23-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    It's sharing stuff like this that helps drive home it really can happen to you.

Glad you didn't flip it. I like talking with your better half, but that's a phone call I don't want to get.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    I got sideways on a hill today which I normally go up and down on, the tractor slid down the hill sideways about 10 feet. Scared the snot out of me.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I got sideways on a hill today which I normally go up and down on, the tractor slid down the hill sideways about 10 feet. Scared the snot out of me.
    Bet you won't do that again!
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

8. Top | #5
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I have a couple of smaller areas of my pastures that doesn't get mowed. Pretty rocky for one thing, and very sloped for the other thing. It doesn't look too bad, when you are walking the pasture, but get on the tractor, and they can feel like a 45* slope. No matter ROPS up or down, I just leave them. Might take a few days before anyone thought to come looking for me, so if I ended up injured, or in the water, (they are near enough to the stock tank), it would be ugly. Not worth the risk, IMO. But I have found areas that I have mowed before that sometimes feel unsafe. I usually think I am just being silly, but your post shows, not all conditions are the same. Thanks for sharing, dieselshadow!
    dieselshadow likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Over the years I have had countless circumstances such as what dieselshadow wrote, every one turned out ok, fortunately. Simply driving over a good size stone/rock with one rear tire and a bucket full of dirt can make for a bad experience, I did it again the other day. Wake-up calls are good if they end well, some don't. Being overconfident never works out well.

Good thread.
    dieselshadow likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Thanks
    Still getting used to my tractor I was nervous mowing the hill in our backyard for the first time. Probably shouldn't have done it while it was wet I'll admit. Going across the slope in one area the front tires slid. I stop and put the tractor in w wheel drive to make sure. Got to the end and switched it back to 2 wheel drive, but also got off and put the ROPS up. Got back on and hooked the seat belt. When I got into the same area again, stopped and switched into 4 wheel drive again.

I had a cousin killed in a tractor accident many years ago. They demand respect, even the little SCUT and CUT ones.
    Gizmo2 and farmgirl19 like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I was mowing the grass with the ol' 2720 about 10:30 this morning. There was still some dew on the grass in the shady areas. Didn't think much of it. I just did my thing as I have many times in the past. Well in backyard there is a fairly steep slope that I have to sidehill to cut it. There I was, done this a bunch of times. All of a sudden the left rear tire got light. A little wet grass and a fresh mole hole caused the tractor to start to roll to my right!

A hour later, actually only a split second later I realized nothing had happened. I didn't roll. The tractor was fine, my ROPS was up, my seat belt was on. I was prepared. I'm glad I was. I don't think the tire actually left the ground, but I'm not sure. I let off the forward pedal immediately as my butt instantly grabbed the seat. That may have stabilized the tractor. I was able to continue on a few seconds later without a scratch.

I guess why I'm sharing this with you for a few things.

1. Don't get complacent. The one time you don't use your ROPS and seatbelt when you should, it may be a very bad day. Just because you've done the same thing a hundred times before, doesn't mean something won't happen today.

2. ROPS up, seatbelt on. ROPS down, seatbelt off. The theory behind this is simple. If the ROPS is up and you roll, the belt will hold you in the tractor and hopefully prevent major injury. If you decide to leave your ROPS down and you roll, you may have a small chance of jumping clear of a super heavy weight trying to crush you if your belt is off.

3. It CAN happen to you.

I finished cutting the grass without incident. I don't think anybody saw me panic for that split second.
    Jason:

Happy you are OK and didn't roll. You proved the point that I was trying to make in a post a couple weeks ago.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements