• 6 Post By farmgirl19
  • 2 Post By Kennyd

Thread: Dig Safe

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks

Dig Safe

Ok, so this may not exactly be a safety specific issue but... I guess I learned my lesson and need to start calling the Dig Safe people before I putter around out on the property.

I picked up a 5' scraper blade today and decided to play a bit. I was dragging it around in an area I plan to turn into a small orchard and after an hour of moving dirt around I realized that there was a 45' long piece of coax cable floating around. I went into the house and sure enough, I had dug up the cable TV lead into the house from the street.

All my utilities are buried between the street and the house and, silly me, I just assumed they'd be buried more than 3" deep. I guess that was a bad assumption. Luckily it was just cable TV. It could have been the main 200 amp electrical service into the house. Lesson learned!

So yeah, if you're gonna start digging, make sure the area is clear of utilities - wires, pipes, whatever... Better safe than sorry.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I seem to recall someone else doing this, and mentioning their cable line was only 3 inches deep, as well.

I'm so far out in the boonies, we've barely even heard of cable. Might get this far out in 20 years! Heck, I was able to ditch dial-up internet when cell reception finally made it out here 2.5 years ago, and was able to upgrade from that in January.

Rural living may have its downside, but if cable ever comes too close to me, I'll move farther out. And, after less than exciting service from a satellite provider for TV, I not only removed the satellite, but the TVs too! Now I just amuse myself here driving y'all crazy!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    FYI: 811 is the national number, works in all 50 US states.

Call 811 - Know what's below
    Gizmo2 and felixm22 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-09-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks
    We have to call them at work or email them for at least 10 different projects per day. Funny thing is, where I am in Houston they will not mark the utilities to the house. They only mark the public ones out in the easement. Most all of our excavating is to do foundation repair on the homes. By law we still have to call to avoid the huge fines associated with hitting something without calling it in ahead of time even though they never mark in the areas we dig.

Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!
    Also: Ford 9n, Massy Ferguson 231 & 231s, Zeter 7711 and a Mahindra 3525

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    FYI: 811 is the national number, works in all 50 US states.

Call 811 - Know what's below
    As someone who works for a utility company, I second Kenny's post.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements