A question about narrow front rollover?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: A question about narrow front rollover?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks

A question about narrow front rollover?

I grew up always hearing about "brother" , a family friend who was killed in a tractor rollover maybe 60 years ago. I have no details at all other than it was a narrow front tractor and they found him deceased in the field. All that bunch was always against owning any narrow front tractor ever since.

I try to envision how the accident occured. Do you suppose a rear wheel went into a ditch causing it to roll? I wish I knew more about this. Being raised on such a story I always avoided narrow fronts. Some folks say they are every bit as safe, me, IDK.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 794 Posts
    Really hard to tell not knowing the whole story. What I do know is nothing is safer than the operator makes it. Sometimes stuff happens, but being conscientious about how you do things is the best bet.

By narrow front, do you mean a tricycle?
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    I would agree with rtgt, would depend on the circumstances. If you mean the tricycle type front-end, when I was growing up that's the only kind of tractors there were in my area, mostly for row-cropping. And I drove a lot of them. I don't remember ever hearing of a roll-over or anyone even getting seriously hurt on a tractor.

Of course it might also depend some on the type of terrain involved, we were mostly flat land.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Are tricycles any more dangerous than a normal tractor that has a pivot front axle ? It seems that in both cases the rear wheels do all of the stabilizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi likes this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

7. Top | #5
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    Are tricycles any more dangerous than a normal tractor that has a pivot front axle ? It seems that in both cases the rear wheels do all of the stabilizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldnt think so. But...I dont know specifics on most brands and sizes and I'm sure it will vary some. I would think by the time a tractor has rolled over far enough to hit the stops....its too late to stop it from going on over.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 10:23 PM
    Thanks
    Narrow fronts are no more prone to tipping than wides on flat ground.

Farting around and mowing ditches, and similarly uneven ground on a slope, is where the wide fronts have an advantage.

Woodchuck dens collapsing, and rutted up muddy fields on hill sides can be rather sporty of old tri-cycle tractors.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-15-2014 @ 05:35 AM
    Thanks
    Tricycle front. Thinking I should not have posted this.

10. Top | #8
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    I think it is a good post. It serves to remind everyone, that rollovers can, and do happen.

I have a 9141 Avery, that my granddad and my dad put a lot of hours on. I put a few. It is tricycle. No mishaps. But there are a lot of variables out there, from location of CG, length of tractor, to terrain. I believe all are safe, if operated according to their limitations, and the operator's limitations.

That being said, ground can shift and give way, and a person can have a lapse in focus, because they are over confident, since they have "done this so many times before". Accidents will always happen. It is our job to limit those accidents, by using our best judgment.

Again, nice to have the reminder. Thanks for starting the thread.
    rtgt and Levi like this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Thanks
    I have always heard, myself, that tricycle front tractors have more of a tendency to tip over. Rather or not that is true, I don't know. One thing I do know, the tractor can flip over backwards if given the right circumstances. My old boss from years ago related a few experiences he had and heard about of this occurrence. I also was a first hand (sort of) witness of this.

One day while driving into town, I saw a JD two cylinder tractor, I believe it was an "A", on it's top near a pond. The tractor was a tricycle front tractor and the pond was man made, so there was a slope up to the pond. I drove on thinking it must have happen a day or two ago. It turns out, it just happened and the guy was still pinned underneath the tractor. After hearing this, I felt bad as I SHOULD HAVE STOPPED and see if any assistance was needed.

Anyways, the fact that a tractor can roll over backwards can happen if put in the wrong type of terrain without taking the necessary precautions. Can they tip over due to the tricycle front? I'm sure it can happen, but any tractor or vehicle can tip over if put in the wrong situation.
    Levi likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Good thread. I always assumed the narrow (tricycle) front tractors had wider or adjustable rear tire spacing for added stabilization.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast