PUCKER!!!!: 'cause you don't need to experience everything to learn from it....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: PUCKER!!!!: 'cause you don't need to experience everything to learn from it....

1. Top | #1
    Jer
    Last Online
    11-13-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks

I'm plagiarizing the idea.

Let's write in here things that have scared the living $h!t out of us. Don't write responses, unless you have something to add to a previous. Let's have only things to pass on to others so it becomes a nice concise read for new folks and people in need of a reminder.

If suggest this format:

1. What happened, or almost happened
    2. How and why it happened
    3. How it could've been prevented

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jer; 01-15-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

2006 JD 3120 with R3 Turf Tires, 300x loader, Artillian Forks & Trailer Mover

Gator 825i S4 - NOW WITH TRACKS!!!

2014 pre-emission 997 with 60" deck

Wish List:
    now that I have a cozy cab, nothing really....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks

I'll go first....

I almost took a rebounding 5-6" poplar branch in the head.

I was trying to mow into the edge of our bluffs, and the branch caught on the ROPS, spring loading it, and whipping back. I've heard guys have been killed that way.

Just gotta be careful around the big trees. I've pruned all the ones in the yard high enough now, but all the bushes would be impossible. I think if I ever do a lot of that again I'll wear a full face sledding helmet. I'll look like a weirdo, but at least I won't drool on myself for the rest of my life.

-J.

Last edited by Jer; 01-15-2015 at 03:44 PM.
    etcallhome, sterling40man and Levi like this.
    2014 JD 5075M (just barely pre T IV emissions), H310 with bucket mounted grapple, HLA powertine forks, 8' HLA snowblade, Schulte SDX-840 Snowblower, Rhino 12' Flail, 6' Sweepster 3pt PTO broom, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, big pile of 3pt implements.

Wish List:

4. Top | #3
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks

I'll go second....

This is a bad one. Wasn't me, but it's a story that needs to be told.

I ran a trauma to save a young man's like in June of 2014. He hopped down from the cab of his old IH 1086 to open a gate while baling, and accidentally left the tractor in gear. When he realized what happened he tried to climb the ladder and get back in. He slipped, and the tractor and round baler ran him over - across his pelvis, widely opening the ring that contains some rather large blood vessels.

By the time he got to us about 4 hours later he was sick as hell, grey, unconscious, close to the end. About 8 units of blood, 10L of crystalloid, and a pelvic binder later, we got him a somewhat physiologic BP & heart rate, and to the ICU. We fixed his pelvis a few days later, and he's still with us. He'll never be the same, but he's still with us, and more importantly with his wife and kids.

So, I suppose it happened cause he got complacent, likely rushed. Also, he tried to save the equipment, and almost paid the biggest price for it. I'll add too (see below) that this guy is no dummy. He's no different than any of us.

So, what to do about it? Slow down a notch or two around the big things that can kill you. Don't be complacent. Use the park brake, put the tranny in park. Run a checklist when you get off the machine (drobinson's idea), same as I learned in flight school. After doing it 8-10 times it becomes natural and takes 2 seconds. In fact, have a checklist for starting, shutdown, parking, etc.... Always remember that metal and wood can be replaced, fingers, limbs, and heartbeats can't.

-J.

ps - after we got enough blood into him to perfuse his brain so he could open his eyes, he and I recognized each other.... I had electively fixed his shoulder 2.5 years earlier.... Small world!! He was such a great patient, a real tough SOB. It was great to be able to help him. This is how I know he's a good guy....

Last edited by Jer; 01-15-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Wish List:

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks

Ok, I'll go third too....

My grandpa was my best friend growing up. We hung out all the time, he taught me about farming.

When he was in his late twenties, he lost his leg, mid femur, in a PTO shaft on a feed mixer. I think his coveralls got caught. Now, that was 1960 something, so I'm sure guards, etc were non existent. He came close to the end that day, i'm told.

I guess the mistake was loose clothing, and if it were 2015, removal of the safety guards.

What to do about it?? ALWAYS remember how much HP is being transfered to that shaft, and how unforgiving it is once it's got you. Same for post hole augers. Snug clothing, no strings from your hoodies or toque's or winter gloves, no loose boot strings. Leave the damn PTO guards on. Don't disable the PTO to ass-in-seat safety switch.

-J.

ps - Pop lost the tip of his index finger in a combine header in the late 70's - slow learner......

Last edited by Jer; 01-15-2015 at 03:59 PM.
    Levi likes this.

Wish List:

7. Top | #5
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks

Fourth.....

Saw a guy when I was a resident who was checking the level in the fuel tank (the gasoline fuel tank) of his truck or tractor. It was dark out, so he's used, yup, you guessed it......

HIS LIGHTER!!!!

Darwin is alive and well.

I'll assume that I won't be needing to essplane how to prevent that one.

-J.

Last edited by Jer; 01-15-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    Levi likes this.

Wish List:

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Good advice in all the examples, Doc. But, number 2 tells a story that all of us need to remember - slow down and think. It takes a matter of seconds to run a mental checklist before dismounting. It seems as though the more experience we have and the more familiar we are with the equipment, the more likely we are to do stupid sh-t. I'm guilty, but I notice that being older has made me stop and think more.

I could probably list dozens of incidents that have made me pucker, but my first was at age 11 or 12, I was driving a Copar Panzer tractor, small garden tractor, which was my primary means of transportation at the time. I was on a side hill in my Dad's apple orchard, stopped, backed around (too damn fast) and rolled all the way over and landed on the wheels with me still in the seat. I drove back to the garage, cleaned off the oil that spilled, filled the crankcase and kept going. Never did tell my Dad, but I learned a valuable lesson.

A big thanks to guys like you that have the ability to put people like us back together.
    ColonyPark, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    I have way to many pucker stories...

One , right after getting my 2210 w/fel ,,,had no ballast on tractor, dew on the ground & not in 4X4 . Started going down the hill to the creek , next thing I know, tractor is picking up speed ,, quickly put bucket to the ground.

Remember think through what you are doing ,,

Years and years ago , cleaned out our garage. Had 4 blocks of 50# salt, a 50 # LP tank, 2 or 4 car or truck tires with rims, plus at lot of other things in FIL trailer and using his MF455 L&G tractor. Started down around the side of the house and next thing I know , tires with chains on are turning backwards and picking up speed. Slid about 300' and thankfully the FIL had just tilled the garden and that is what kept me from going in the creek.

Don't overload the tractor ,, make that second or third trip . Be Safe.

Could go on , and on and on...
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    I have way to many pucker stories...

Could go on , and on and on...
    .....we're listening.....

Wish List:

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Here's one from this Fall for new TLB operators: I had a FULL bucket of cordwood splits 4' raising off the ground going to the stack. It's a new location that has room for 3 rows next to a chainlink fence then starts to slope uphill. I was finishing the second row. As I eased to the end of the row slightly down hill turning slightly to the left I felt the RH back tire going off the ground. Instant instinct got the BH boom swinging to the right mighty quickly but not all the way until the machine gently settled on the frame/front axle stop. Now I know exactly where that tipping point is with how much weight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JD wood.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	38896

Tractor was 8' further up the hill and about where the camera was in this picture. "It doesn't look like it's steep!" It's not that steep, it's just steep enough with a full bucket.

Keep your load as low as you can, it's far easier to grab the loader lever and drop the bucket than swinging the BH. I didn't drop the bucket as I would have knocked down the ends of 2 rows of wood. I went for "Door Number 2" because I hate doing extra work restacking wood.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10
    Jer
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Keep your load as low as you can, it's far easier to grab the loader lever and drop the bucket than swinging the BH. I didn't drop the bucket as I would have knocked down the ends of 2 rows of wood. I went for "Door Number 2" because I hate doing extra work restacking wood.
    Using the BH is a fancy move, no question, but for Christ's sake, just drop the bucket, spill some wood, and stop yourself from getting crushed under your machine!!!! That line of thinking is exactly how my patient almost died - trying to stop the tractor to prevent a mess (not a life), and in doing so, almost dying himself......

Pardon the criticism, but again, plastic and metal can be re-bought - fingers, limbs, and heartbeats.......not-so-much.

-J.

Wish List:

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast