Got a License?

View Poll Results: Do you have a license for you CUT?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • My State doesn't require any license

40 93.02%
  • My State requires a license & I DON'T have one

3 6.98%
  • My State requires a license & I DO have one

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Got a License?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Thanks

Got a License?

Sooo... An interesting story in the news here yesterday and today.

A 9-year old was operating a Cat SkidSteer moving snow in the family driveway. This is a privately owned piece of equipment (i.e. not a business) used on private property. In clearing his driveway, his 12-year old brother slipped and fell and the 9-year old apparently ran him over. The older boy was med-flighted to Boston and is in serious condition.

Story here.

Hopefully the 12-year old will recover quickly.

In reading the story they mentioned that, in MA, you are required to have a regular driver's license and a hoisting license to operate this equipment. In looking further, I found a MA State FAQ on the hoisting license:

2. Q: What activities are covered under the hoisting regulations?

A: The regulations, appearing in 520 CMR 6.00, apply to any Hoisting Machinery that has the minimum capability of hoisting the load higher than 10 feet or that has the capability of lifting loads greater than 500 pounds or if the capacity of the bucket exceeds 1/4 cubic yard capacity. See 520 CMR 6.01.

3. Q: Who must have a hoisting operator's license?

A: M.G.L. c. 146 § 53 states that anyone who will operate derricks, cableways, machinery used for discharging Cargoes, and temporary elevator cars used on excavation work or used for hoisting building material, when the motive power to operate such machinery is mechanical and other than steam, including but not limited to excavators, backhoes, front end loaders, uniloaders, skid loader, skid steer loaders, compact loaders or similar devices, lattice cranes, derricks, cranes with or without wire rope; all Fork Lifts, powered industrial lift trucks, overhead hoists (underhung), overhead cranes, underhung cranes, monorail cranes, lifting devices, cableways, and powered platforms, must hold a license from the Department.
    In reading that, it appears that CUTs would also require a license. The lifting capacity on mine is more than 500 lbs.

There is an exemption to the law if the equipment is used exclusively for agricultural purposes but I'm not sure how the State views general use on private property (i.e. yard work not on a farm). So, as silly as it seems, I guess I need to get one.

Just curious if any other States have similar requirements and if anyone from a State that does require a license actually has one.
    636mullet and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-02-2018 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks
    Wow!!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 2,507 Posts
    I've only ever heard of this "hoisting license" in MA, there was/is much discussion about it on TBN.

With the pain this family is already going through, it's unfortunate now they will have to deal with the state government also.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I've only ever heard of this "hoisting license" in MA, there was/is much discussion about it on TBN.

With the pain this family is already going through, it's unfortunate now they will have to deal with the state government also.
    The State of MA has a habit of going after the family in these sorts of things in order to "teach a lesson" to the general public.

I did find that Rhode Island also requires a license for any powered equipment that can lift over 500 lbs.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I would guess that the law is over broad and would not hold up-to a challenge in Supreme Court of MA. If there is no way to license a 9 year old than they have a good fight. Depending on the licensing requirements a private owner may also have a good case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Wow, shocker. . . . IMO the government always has their hand out. . . . . Protecting us from ourselves!
    rgd, Uncle Wayne, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Sooo... An interesting story in the news here yesterday and today.

A 9-year old was operating a Cat SkidSteer moving snow in the family driveway. This is a privately owned piece of equipment (i.e. not a business) used on private property. In clearing his driveway, his 12-year old brother slipped and fell and the 9-year old apparently ran him over. The older boy was med-flighted to Boston and is in serious condition.

Story here.

Hopefully the 12-year old will recover quickly.

In reading the story they mentioned that, in MA, you are required to have a regular driver's license and a hoisting license to operate this equipment. In looking further, I found a MA State FAQ on the hoisting license:

In reading that, it appears that CUTs would also require a license. The lifting capacity on mine is more than 500 lbs.

There is an exemption to the law if the equipment is used exclusively for agricultural purposes but I'm not sure how the State views general use on private property (i.e. yard work not on a farm). So, as silly as it seems, I guess I need to get one.

Just curious if any other States have similar requirements and if anyone from a State that does require a license actually has one.

Regarding this unfortunate accident & the instant knee jerk reaction to issuing licenses for equipment operation, hoisting, etc. on private property, in way will prevent a similar occurrence. The only thing it would ad to is another tax on private citizens, a further restriction of personal freedoms, and the windfall profits from the issuing of fines. I am sure the liberal minded will insist that this is needed in order to protect us from ourselves because the politicians see us as being too stupid to manage our own affairs.

Now let me ask this- Whatever has happened to parental responsibility? Why where these kids operating this equipment to begin with? Why must we now require licensing due to the actions of parental morons. Maybe these kid should not be in the house with the so called parents or guardians. Having grand children of my own I feel for these kids. But come on now. If anyone subscribes to the theory that a piece of paper is going to give someone a brain & stop the stupid stuff, well then should I say that's plain "stupid". Maybe one day we will realize we need to be responsible for ourselves & our actions & stop empowering these two bit liberals who could not care less beyond the fees they can collect & the further reduction of your freedom & independence. I see jackass behavior all the time, but I would never suggest we issue a license for it. This is just my very own .02 on the subject. Wishing a great outcome for that kid & his brother.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 2,507 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Regarding this unfortunate accident & the instant knee jerk reaction to issuing licenses for equipment operation, hoisting, etc. on private property, in way will prevent a similar occurrence. The only thing it would ad to is another tax on private citizens, a further restriction of personal freedoms, and the windfall profits from the issuing of fines. I am sure the liberal minded will insist that this is needed in order to protect us from ourselves because the politicians see us as being too stupid to manage our own affairs.
    Its already been a "requirement" for many years.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    And oftentimes, kids are operating the equipment on the family farm as soon as they are able to reach the pedals, and they are plowing fields, etc.

Very sad and unfortunate, and my heart goes out to the family, and especially the child operating the tractor, but I do not say it was wrong for him to be operating the tractor.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to farmgirl19 For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (01-29-2015)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 AM
    Thanks
    I think it's only in Ma. like Ken mentioned.
    We have crane certification in NJ as do alot of states.
    I had mine and didn't renew it last go around.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast