Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Youtube tractor how too videos

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks

Youtube tractor how too videos

Hi All
    I was just watching a youtube video of how to remove a 260B BH. I considered a number of the presenters actions Quite dangerous, two general one looked like he walked under the boom when it was in the air the other he climbed under the the BH to show it free of the bottom mounts. Then when removing the BH from the tractor he lifted the BH up out of the bottom hook mounts with the stabilizers which meant the DH was high in the air sitting on the hydraulic cylinders. He then said drive the tractor forward 6" to access the power beyond hoses rotate the controls as you do with the FEL to relieve pressure.

When I remove my 260 I put the stabilizers firmly on the ground I then pull the top retaining pins by putting the curled bucket on the ground and using it to push back and loosen the pins then using the bucket controls I tilt the BH away from the tractor till I can install the transit pin in the boom keeping BH as close to the ground as possible. This also gives access to the power beyond hoses to disconnect, the power beyond system depressures as soon as you turn the tractor off unlike the FEL so I don't touch the controls. If I am leaving the BH unattached for more than a couple of hours I install pieced of metal made in a U shape over over the stabiliser cylinders to stop them bleeding down.

My problems with the video were he left the BH high off the ground, if one of the stabilisers bleed bown it could fall over. Also, don't touch any of the controls if the the BH is off the tractor sitting on the stabilisers and bucket while the power beyond is still connected to the tractor, as the cylinders with weight on them could collapse.

I know to most this is common knowledge but to someone new to a tractor this could be dangerous. There are very good how to video around (Hi Tim) but don't take the first one you look at as the right one look at a a few and if you still have questions ask. There are No stupid questions just stupid answers.
    Regards John

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    You have to remember that ANYONE can make a YouTube video, sometimes a "how to" can turn out to be more of "how NOT to".
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    This doesn't apply to just tractors, obviously. My wife's cousin's husband died trying some woodworking artistic technique he saw on youtube where you apply high voltage to wet wood to get a particular burn effect. Hmmm, high voltage and water mixed together to get some kind of artistic burn in wood... what could go wrong with that? Apparently a large number of people have died trying it, as some woodworking organizations denounce the technique now.

It all boils down to using common sense, which isn't particularly common as we all know.
    rydplrs, BigJim55, keane and 5 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John 54 View Post
    If I am leaving the BH unattached for more than a couple of hours I install pieced of metal made in a U shape over over the stabiliser cylinders to stop them bleeding down.

John-

Do you have a pic you could share of the U-shape metal and how you use it? I have a terrible time reattaching the 260 BH after it's been off my 1025R for a while. I store my BH outside and not on a dolly. I've had the BH on the tractor for a few months now because I know the issues I'll have when I try to put it back on once it sits a while. All the videos I've watched of the install/uninstall are of the user taking the BH off and then putting it right back on. That gives no time for bleed-down. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks-
    Patrick
    -> 2017 John Deere 1025R TLB
    -> Piranha Tooth Bar
    -> 4' County Line Tiller
    -> John Deere Ballast Box
    -> 5" County Line Scraper Blade
    -> County Line Carry-All
    -> County Line Boom Pole
    -> 36" Titan Forks
    -> Ken's Hooks
    -> HF Quick Hitch

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by MadOx View Post
    John-

Do you have a pic you could share of the U-shape metal and how you use it? I have a terrible time reattaching the 260 BH after it's been off my 1025R for a while. I store my BH outside and not on a dolly. I've had the BH on the tractor for a few months now because I know the issues I'll have when I try to put it back on once it sits a while. All the videos I've watched of the install/uninstall are of the user taking the BH off and then putting it right back on. That gives no time for bleed-down. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks-
    Patrick
    I'd like to see that pic too. Bleed down is a problem, mine is sometimes off the tractor for a few days at a time.
    Last edited by NotYourGrandfathersDeere; 01-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    MadOx likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    You have to remember that ANYONE can make a YouTube video, sometimes a "how to" can turn out to be more of "how NOT to".
    I went looking for one to send a friend about installing tire chains. I had to watch almost 10 to find one that actually had a clue. Even chain retailers were way off the mark. I thought they were hoping people would have them fall off and break.
    PJR832 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,223 Posts
    YouTube is a joke 90% of the time. Itís the last place I would go for advise.

Read the manual. Ask questions on a good forum like this one.

I will never understand the obsession with YouTube.
    rydplrs, wentonbrown and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    My 260B is stored on a dolly I made, and never bleeds down.
    Last time I reattached it, it was off for 3 months.
    Maybe the dolly is the reason it doesnt.

If I stored it off a dolly, outside, I would most definitely NOT put anything steel over the cylinder to prevent leakdown. Steel rusts, and even a very small amount on the cylinder rod would be very bad. Sometimes this can happen in high humidity indoors too. Id go for aluminum or wood. Or just build a cheap dolly to store it on. Mine was maybe $30.
    Sure would be a shame to see anyones cylinder ruined due to rust.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 2,507 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadOx View Post
    John-

Thanks-
    Patrick
    Just lower the backhoe onto some wood blocking (6x6's or 4x4's) to stop the settling.

But this is what John is talking about:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails download.jpg Stabilizer-Lock.jpg
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

MadOx†(01-05-2019)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    YouTube is a joke 90% of the time. Itís the last place I would go for advise.

Read the manual. Ask questions on a good forum like this one.

I will never understand the obsession with YouTube.
    It does have good points.

The door slamming, stop start process for training my car remote....resetting the oil change light in my old Audi....and my personal favorite. I was under my old t-100 replacing the clutch. The throw out bearing wouldnít pull out. Checked YouTube, backfilled the pocket with grease, and drove a socket extension through the hole to force the bearing out hydraulically. I didnít even get out from under the truck to find a completely unknown trick.
    coaltrain, PJR832 and MadOx like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast