Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Danner work boots vs. tractor step

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks

Exclamation Danner work boots vs. tractor step

Thought I posted this situation but apparently not. I bought a pair of Danner work boots last year (made in the USA ), great boots and good ankle support.

So there I was with my foot on the tractor step to enter the cab like usual and when I went to move that foot the boot tread got caught in the grid of the step. Having ignored the "always have three points of contact when entering and exiting equipment" I started to fall backwards and at the last moment I grabbed the handrail on the opened cab door.

Falling backwards wouldn't have been kind to my head however I'm a slow learner and almost repeated the same situation a few days later but not nearly as dramatic. I had an instant flashback of the earlier experience.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, JKR and 11 others like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johncanfield For This Useful Post:

keane (02-03-2019), Marlin (02-15-2019), Treefarmer (02-02-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 951 Posts
    Close, close!!!
    Glad you caught yourself.

That's a long way down falling backwards, believe me I know.
    Neil

2019 4066R with cab (aka Cooterpiller), 2014 997 Z Trak
    Other equip: 1982 IH 274 diesel, 1957 Farmall Cub, Woods Billy Goat 5 foot rotary cutter, Ford three point hitch 6 foot dozer blade,
    home brew dirt and gravel grader, dirt scoop, choppers, Woods six foot belly mount sickle bar, home brew 3PH 25 gallon sprayer, 1992 33 inch cut Snapper
    rear engine rider, 1984 30 inch cut Snapper rear engine rider.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,027 Times in 2,194 Posts
    I have in engraved in my brain how to get in and out of equipment properly - I used to teach that stuff and just got so used to it that I would have to stop and think hard about doing it another way.

But I did it once - fell off my big truck when getting out.

I was driving a Mack for my first year hauling mail. The other guys had fairly new Volvo’s - I wanted a Volvo. Called the boss and he sent me one.

First day with the Volvo. At the end of my run I would fuel after I dropped my trailer then go home. Getting out of the Volvo properly - backwards - I made the second step, reached for the grab bar, and it wasn’t there. Thankfully the fuel pump was right behind me - gave it a heck of a bang but at least it kept me upright.

The grab bar on the old Mack was on the outside of the cab. When I looked up to see what happened - the grab handle on the Volvo was inside the door jamb so it was hidden when the door was closed.

It took me so long to learn that new grab handle. I got enough of a hit that day that I stopped before making my decent each time for a month before I got used to it. Memory function is hard to change.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yikes, you were lucky there was something behind you to break the fall!

I’m trying to be super careful and aware especially when using power tools since old age is catching up with me (turned 70 recently.) Another fly in the ointment that complicates getting into and out of equipment is my left leg is weaker than my right leg due to neuropathy. I’ve always placed my left foot on the step first but I’m trying to retrain myself to use the other foot.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If that fuel pump wasn’t there it would have been bad - I was falling faster than I could even try to get my arms behind me somewhat. It would have been the head banging on the asphalt at full force.

Since I’ve had RA I have to be very deliberate with every move I make. I get on and off my tractor as if I were 90+ years old. I had to get the assistance of KennyD to get a step put on my tractor - just couldn’t do it without anymore.

Same goes getting in and out of my truck. For 9 years with my ‘09 F150 I was so mad that Ford felt the driver side grab handle was unnecessary. That plus I had the tubular running boards which had very small section where you could just get the ball of your foot on it. Thankfully now with my ‘15 I have a grab handle once again plus nice big platform running boards.

The risk of falling is always on my mind. Because of the RA my joints are pretty messed up. If I try to work on something like underneath my tractor or truck I have to rig up a rope from the rafters nearby so I can help pull myself up. If I fall outside somewhere I have to hope my wife is watching so she can come help me.

Falling off equipment is no joke. When I worked for the state you could be written up for getting out of equipment and trucks coming forward. A lot of guys did it especially the trucks. According to their statistics the most common “light” injury was coming out of trucks forward and them getting the heel of their boot caught.
    mark02tj and johncanfield like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You are a real trooper Stan - my sister had RA.

The Mrs. is always on me about working too hard, too much and "why don't pay somebody to do that" but it keeps me entertained, I save money, get exercise, and I know the job is done right.
    DRobinson, coaltrain, Jep and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    You are a real trooper Stan - my sister had RA.

The Mrs. is always on me about working too hard, too much and "why don't pay somebody to do that" but it keeps me entertained, I save money, get exercise, and I know the job is done right.
    Even though it’s painful and I am painfully slow, I have to do something every day. The first few years having RA I just sat in this chair - about drove me insane. But with the combo of all these medications I can at least do something for an hour or so a day. Have learned that is my limit but at least I get a feeling of accomplishment - very important to keep the attitude in check.
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks
    I love Danner boots. In fact, I just spent 3 days walking around the farm show in mine. Everything else is tired, but my feet are still feeling good!

JKR, mark02tj, Jep and 2 others like this.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I wore Danner boots many years ago. But then they started importing them. This was before I could do any research as internet in every household was still rare then. So I guess you can get made in the USA on some certain models now.

I had a pair of low hikers that I wore when I was mowing commercially - had them for years and refused to give them up. Was especially upset when I found I couldn't replace them with the same thing.
    JKR, Oscar Leroy and johncanfield like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks
    Yes, many of them are made in the USA, including the ones in my pic.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast