Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree225Likes

Thread: The John Deere Manual of Death and Dismemberment

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 04:00 PM
    Thanks

The John Deere Manual of Death and Dismemberment

As a recent owner of a John Deere tractor I wanted to share with you all something I noticed reading the manuals for the tractor and the related implements.

I had no idea there were so many ways to kill one's self or risk serious bodily harm when operating a tractor or an implement. I had no idea that my John Deere tractor and its attached implements were essentially a death machine on Ag Tires.

I don't recall seeing any such warning pics in the VW Beatle owner's manual that I have.

Whoa! Owning and operating a tractor is not something to take lightly!

Of course, all joking aside I know a tractor is a serious piece of equipment and needs to be treated with respect and attention at all times to avoid injury.

When I am training a new apprentice at the bakery one of the big things I talk about is kitchen safety. I have a 60 qt mixer that is a bit of a monster. I emphasize that this machine has no feelings or conscience or morals. If you are not careful and get your arm in the way of the paddle or dough hook when it is running it will break it and keep on running like nothing has happened. I stress that it is important to treat the machines with respect and to be mindful at all times. One moment's carelessness can lead to a lifetime of regret.

But back to the John Deere graphics. Whoa! Those pics are serious!!!

Here are couple of my favorites:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCAN0076.jpg   SCAN0077.JPG  
    2015 3038e with Frontier 57" Tiller and FEL
    D125 Riding Mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Thanks
    I was laughing at something similar this morning.

I bought a welder and it has a HUGE sticker on the top of it with a warning that "Welding can result in a fire" and I thought to myself, "Huh, who would have ever thought that using something that MELTS METAL could result in a fire?"

I guess some people aren't capable of putting 2 and 2 together....
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-10-2018 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    All of those pictures are for idiots and lawyers.......sometimes the same thing.
    Matt

NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-17-2016 @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    I always get a kick out of these stickers. Especially the ones with no words. Really let's your imagination wander.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-01-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    My favorite is the one that shows a tractor can turn you into a barber pole.

In seriousness, though, tractors have a much, MUCH wider range of ways to kill yourself than anything the average person comes into contact with on a daily basis. I think a lot of us take that for granted, but for a middle manager who just bought is 10 acres in the country, there's a hell of a lot of ways to die he's never even thought of.
    mjncad and BigJim55 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    How about this one.....

This is on the left side of my tractor just ahead of the cab.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warning.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	42460
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    How about this one.....

This is on the left side of my tractor just ahead of the cab.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warning.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	42460
    Dang, nasty wet keyboard and tissues again!! Does anyone get the idea that there is someone out there who is so intrigued with those safety graphics that it becomes a mental mantra? Over and over again sitting in the seat running those pictures again and again in their head and suddenly just jumping off the seat to stuff their hand under the mower deck or grab a spinning tire or shaft... Only to find that the RIOS craps out the engine and prevents his desired act. Right there is one individual that needs "URIOS" (Undefeatble Reverse Implement Operation)! It's coming, Folks...., just as soon as a lawyer can use those stickers to win his case with "The Sticker Shock Defense" . (Sorry... it's late....)
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Thanks
    The old JD safety cartoons ( in the two-cylinder era) were better! I especially liked the one where the guy was cleaning his double barrel shotgun, smoke from the barrels & two holes in his head, including the bar attaching the barrels together!
    mjncad, DRobinson and BigJim55 like this.
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

11. Top | #9
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Anyone remember the Gov't study done, that caused a warning to be issued to farmers and ranchers, that stated...

"Don't step in cow manure. It is slick and you could lose your footing and fall."

Personally, I think there should be some sort of competency test before you have kids or pets, and now I am thinking you need one before moving to the country and playing with equipment. But I've always said a person that doesn't know the 4 strokes of their car/truck engine, should not be allowed on the roads either. You don't have to be a mechanic, but you should know a little something about the machine you are using!
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Anyone remember the Gov't study done, that caused a warning to be issued to farmers and ranchers, that stated...

"Don't step in cow manure. It is slick and you could lose your footing and fall."

Personally, I think there should be some sort of competency test before you have kids or pets, and now I am thinking you need one before moving to the country and playing with equipment. But I've always said a person that doesn't know the 4 strokes of their car/truck engine, should not be allowed on the roads either. You don't have to be a mechanic, but you should know a little something about the machine you are using!
    As a kid growing up Amish we were always barefoot as soon as the weather warmed up. It didn't matter if we got a frost after. When the shoes got put up they didn't make an appearance again till the first snow came that fall. One of my first outside chores was to get the cows every morning and night. In the spring your feet get cold when it frosts so as I made the cows get up the first thing they did was sh!t and let me tell you it's warm. I would stand in it to warm my feet and coat them for protection from the cold. Never once did I slip or even started to. Lots of grip. Remember one time in the cold with a very thin jacket I got so cold that I laid down where I made a cow get up and I laid down in it's place. Next thing I knew was Dad waking me up asking what I was doing. Man, I thought I was getting the whipping of my life. Cows had to be in the barn at 6am and 6pm, no excuses. I was around 5 or 6 years old. I told him what happened and he just told me that we have to get the cows to the barn and get them milked. No whipping but I remember it like it was yesterday. People should talk to people that do the real work before giving warnings but it's my humble opinion that most of the warnings that you see is for the person that has never operated said equipment. I think we've all been at that spot at one time or other. Common sense? Yah it's on it's way out the door. People making the rules/warnings have probably never been on said equipment. Or walked a mile in the worker's shoes. Or bare foot.
    Last edited by Levi; 03-22-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (03-22-2015), grnspot110 (03-22-2015), MFreund1 (03-22-2015)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast