• 3 Post By PJR832

Thread: Mowing season...be safe and mindful while backing

1. Top | #1
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks

Mowing season...be safe and mindful while backing

I know many of us have disabled the ROI switch because it's a pain, but please please check behind you before backing up!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-have-n1010761
    Gizmo2, keane, jdmich and 4 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    There's no question that is a very terrible thing to have happen but I doubt RIO would have saved him. The best safety switch is the one between your ears.

The bottom line is you do not allow pets and children to be outside while you are mowing the grass.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    There's no question that is a very terrible thing to have happen but I doubt RIO would have saved him. The best safety switch is the one between your ears.

The bottom line is you do not allow pets and children to be outside while you are mowing the grass.
    I'm not debating the do or don't defeat RIO. I was just wanting to point this out. I didn't say be mindful while backing with RIO disabled. I guess I thought to put the RIO remark in before someone said "that's what the RIO is for". I'm like you. ALWAYS check behind you before backing.
    PJR832, trboxman, JD4044M and 1 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Safety First is sometimes the last thing on peoples' minds.

I'll plead guilty to that sometimes. Some days you just want to out there and get it done so you can move on to other projects, and that's when mistakes can happen.

Just remember to do what I consider some safety basics:

1. Walk the yard looking for branches, stones, toys or wildlife (I have almost run over box turtles before).
    2. Make sure the area is clear of pets and children.
    3. Be mindful of your discharge direction.
    4. When mowing near the road exercise caution. If possible disengage blades when traffic passes and stop. Look if you use the road to turn around.
    5. If backing and mowing, look everywhere TWICE before doing so. You could look back left and there is someone to the right and when you look back right they move behind you so you never see them!
    6. Make sure your equipment is in proper working order!
    dieselshadow, PJR832, Big and 2 others like this.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    7. DONíT discharge your clippings towards the road. Itís not only illegal, but throwing objects towards the road and littering the streets with loose and potentially greasy material is dangerous to motor vehicles, especially motorcyclists.
    keane, PJR832, Big and 2 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    7. DONíT discharge your clippings towards the road. Itís not only illegal, but throwing objects towards the road and littering the streets with loose and potentially greasy material is dangerous to motor vehicles, especially motorcyclists.
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Folks around here do it all the time. I too thought it was illegal but apparently in PA it is not. Although I saw on the news where some law maker is introducing a bill that would make it illegal.

Even while in the car I cringe every time I pass by someone mowing right beside the road with the deflector chute removed. I keep expecting to hear a big clunk as a rock or something bounces off the side of my car or hits a window.

That's one thing I like about having a full-time mulch kit installed..... no discharge of debris.
    PJR832, Big, JD4044M and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Folks around here do it all the time. I too thought it was illegal but apparently in PA it is not. Although I saw on the news where some law maker is introducing a bill that would make it illegal.

Even while in the car I cringe every time I pass by someone mowing right beside the road with the deflector chute removed. I keep expecting to hear a big clunk as a rock or something bounces off the side of my car or hits a window.

That's one thing I like about having a full-time mulch kit installed..... no discharge of debris.
    Same here, drives me nuts, I have two people very close to our house that do it every time they mow.

I'll have to check with oxpath if it actually illegal here, if it is illegal here in NY it it certainly not enforced. Maybe it's one of those grey areas, if you were to cause a motorcycle to have an accident it can probably come back on you or your homeowners insurance.
    Big, JD4044M and Dr Kubar like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements