Know where your controls are....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Know where your controls are....

  1. Top | #1
    Big
    Big is online now
    Big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 209 Times in 153 Posts

    Know where your controls are....

    I was mowing the lawn today and apparently came too close to a underground yellow jacket nest. They started stinging the crap out of me while I was going uphill towards the house. I pressed down all the way on the go fast pedal and was swatting, slapping, and jumping around in the seat when suddenly the tractor stalls midway. Operator out of seat shut down the tractor.

    So there I am in a panic trying to escape as fast as I could and trying to figure out what next. Ok parking brake, seatbelt, and jump off. Well I got the parking brake, seatbelt was fighting me, but the arm rest snagged my shirt and I tumbled off the side, roll, and got up running towards the safety of the house. All in all I got stung only a few times and a sore ankle. Could have been worse if I didn't know exactly where the parking brake was or a somewhat collected mind to engage it before I escaped with my life.

    Moral is you never know when you'll end up in a situation, some are foreseeable, some sting the hell out of you.

    Tonight it's yellow jacket killing. Gas works great
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_20190728_115813.jpg†
Views:	39†
Size:	6.48 MB†
ID:	697414
    Last edited by Big; 07-28-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Auto correct not so correct
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 17 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

    -Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    PikeCoGreenTractorMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Location
    near Beaver, OH
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
    Bigness - I've not yet had the displeasure this summer of disturbing an underground yellowjacket nest. Our prior experience is one free pass then avoid the swarm the next time around, Gas or pre-mix is a great killer, but it doesn't cool off much at night to keep them from getting stirred up again.

    I'm not cursed with an arm rest on my rig, so bailing out would be easier for me. Decades ago I was spraying "hot-shot" brand killer into a football sized paper nest in a landscape evergreen. The angry devil paralleled the stream and got me hard on the wrist. Probably the last time I've been stung here.

    Brian

    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I was mowing the lawn today and apparently came too close to a underground yellow jacket nest. They started stinging the crap out of me while I was going uphill towards the house. I pressed down all the way on the go fast pedal and was swatting, slapping, and jumping around in the seat when suddenly the tractor stalls midway. Operator out of seat shut down the tractor.

    So there I am in a panic trying to escape as fast as I could and trying to figure out what next. Ok parking brake, seatbelt, and jump off. Well I got the parking brake, seatbelt was fighting me, but the arm rest snagged my shirt and I tumbled off the side, roll, and got up running towards the safety of the house. All in all I got stung only a few times and a sore ankle. Could have been worse if I didn't know exactly where the parking brake was or a somewhat collected mind to engage it before I escaped with my life.

    Moral is you never know when you'll end up in a situation, some are foreseeable, some sting the hell out of you.

    Tonight it's yellow jacket killing. Gas works great
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_20190728_115813.jpg†
Views:	39†
Size:	6.48 MB†
ID:	697414
    Last edited by PikeCoGreenTractorMan; 07-28-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    glc, etcallhome, rtgt and 6 others like this.
    Brian




    2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

    '94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

    Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

    46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

  4. Top | #3
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,725
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Been there, done that two summers ago. Got me twice in the back under one eye and in the forehead. It took me a while to locate the nest which was buried deep under a lot of dead leaves in the middle of a bush.

    Once located it was time for full on warfare. It was the best use of half a gallon of kerosene Iíve ever witnessed. The flames against the night sky was a sight to behold. When the charred earth cooled I dug up the bush to reveal a huge underground cavity containing thousands of dead enemy soldiers.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Location
    Joelton TN
    Posts
    19,768
    Thanks
    1,065
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Dang, still a beautiful piece of property. And who wouldnít want that awesome tractor there sitting on it as well.

    Too bad the OP canít use it....


    Perhaps I could store it for you here? Just trying to help man. This yellow jacket problem could last a long time.
    glc, rtgt, jdforever and 8 others like this.
    - Jason

    GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

    Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

    2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

  7. Top | #5
    Big
    Big is online now
    Big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 209 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Been there, done that two summers ago. Got me twice in the back under one eye and in the forehead. It took me a while to locate the nest which was buried deep under a lot of dead leaves in the middle of a bush.

    Once located it was time for full on warfare. It was the best use of half a gallon of kerosene Iíve ever witnessed. The flames against the night sky was a sight to behold. When the charred earth cooled I dug up the bush to reveal a huge underground cavity containing thousands of dead enemy soldiers.
    Funny how we take such vengeance against such tiny creatures. Very painful tiny creatures though.
    glc, Zebrafive, rtgt and 7 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

    -Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

  8. Top | #6
    Big
    Big is online now
    Big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 209 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Dang, still a beautiful piece of property. And who wouldnít want that awesome tractor there sitting on it as well.

    Too bad the OP canít use it....


    Perhaps I could store it for you here? Just trying to help man. This yellow jacket problem could last a long time.

    Thanks, but I rescued it an HR ago. They seemed to have retreated to their underground bunker. They don't know what is to come.... hahaha. I may be replying a successful attack tonight or painful failure. We'll see
    glc, dieselshadow, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

    -Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

  9. Top | #7
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,743
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Dang, still a beautiful piece of property. And who wouldnít want that awesome tractor there sitting on it as well.

    Too bad the OP canít use it....


    Perhaps I could store it for you here? Just trying to help man. This yellow jacket problem could last a long time.
    I would say that pic would make an awesome Deere ad.

    Big - back to your subject - yes, being able to automatically get to the controls like the parking brake are certainly warranted. It could have come out a lot worse than it did for you especially with the hill involved. You could have easily been run over by your own tractor while trying to escape. Then the little buggers would have had their way with you.....
    glc, rtgt, jdforever and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  10. Top | #8
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,725
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Funny how we take such vengeance against such tiny creatures. Very painful tiny creatures though.
    I'm a "Live and Let Live" guy usually but once they draw first blood then it becomes an Apocalypse Now remake! Except when it comes to snakes... then it's strike first and strike hard. :-)
    glc, dieselshadow, rtgt and 6 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    North New Jersey
    Posts
    395
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 160 Times in 73 Posts
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

    glc, dieselshadow, jgayman and 8 others like this.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toughsox For This Useful Post:

    BWV†(07-28-2019)

  13. Top | #10
    Big
    Big is online now
    Big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 209 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.
    I actually thought of a flame thrower. Or gas and tannerite combination
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

    -Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts