Know where your controls are....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Know where your controls are....

1. Top | #1
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks

Know where your controls are....

I was mowing the lawn today and apparently came too close to a underground yellow jacket nest. They started stinging the crap out of me while I was going uphill towards the house. I pressed down all the way on the go fast pedal and was swatting, slapping, and jumping around in the seat when suddenly the tractor stalls midway. Operator out of seat shut down the tractor.

So there I am in a panic trying to escape as fast as I could and trying to figure out what next. Ok parking brake, seatbelt, and jump off. Well I got the parking brake, seatbelt was fighting me, but the arm rest snagged my shirt and I tumbled off the side, roll, and got up running towards the safety of the house. All in all I got stung only a few times and a sore ankle. Could have been worse if I didn't know exactly where the parking brake was or a somewhat collected mind to engage it before I escaped with my life.

Moral is you never know when you'll end up in a situation, some are foreseeable, some sting the hell out of you.

Tonight it's yellow jacket killing. Gas works great
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_20190728_115813.jpg†
Views:	39†
Size:	6.48 MB†
ID:	697414
    Last edited by Big; 07-28-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Auto correct not so correct
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 17 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Thanks
    Bigness - I've not yet had the displeasure this summer of disturbing an underground yellowjacket nest. Our prior experience is one free pass then avoid the swarm the next time around, Gas or pre-mix is a great killer, but it doesn't cool off much at night to keep them from getting stirred up again.

I'm not cursed with an arm rest on my rig, so bailing out would be easier for me. Decades ago I was spraying "hot-shot" brand killer into a football sized paper nest in a landscape evergreen. The angry devil paralleled the stream and got me hard on the wrist. Probably the last time I've been stung here.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I was mowing the lawn today and apparently came too close to a underground yellow jacket nest. They started stinging the crap out of me while I was going uphill towards the house. I pressed down all the way on the go fast pedal and was swatting, slapping, and jumping around in the seat when suddenly the tractor stalls midway. Operator out of seat shut down the tractor.

So there I am in a panic trying to escape as fast as I could and trying to figure out what next. Ok parking brake, seatbelt, and jump off. Well I got the parking brake, seatbelt was fighting me, but the arm rest snagged my shirt and I tumbled off the side, roll, and got up running towards the safety of the house. All in all I got stung only a few times and a sore ankle. Could have been worse if I didn't know exactly where the parking brake was or a somewhat collected mind to engage it before I escaped with my life.

Moral is you never know when you'll end up in a situation, some are foreseeable, some sting the hell out of you.

Tonight it's yellow jacket killing. Gas works great
    Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_20190728_115813.jpg†
Views:	39†
Size:	6.48 MB†
ID:	697414
    Last edited by PikeCoGreenTractorMan; 07-28-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    glc, etcallhome, rtgt and 6 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Been there, done that two summers ago. Got me twice in the back under one eye and in the forehead. It took me a while to locate the nest which was buried deep under a lot of dead leaves in the middle of a bush.

Once located it was time for full on warfare. It was the best use of half a gallon of kerosene Iíve ever witnessed. The flames against the night sky was a sight to behold. When the charred earth cooled I dug up the bush to reveal a huge underground cavity containing thousands of dead enemy soldiers.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Dang, still a beautiful piece of property. And who wouldnít want that awesome tractor there sitting on it as well.

Too bad the OP canít use it....

Perhaps I could store it for you here? Just trying to help man. This yellow jacket problem could last a long time.
    glc, rtgt, jdforever and 8 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

7. Top | #5
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Been there, done that two summers ago. Got me twice in the back under one eye and in the forehead. It took me a while to locate the nest which was buried deep under a lot of dead leaves in the middle of a bush.

Once located it was time for full on warfare. It was the best use of half a gallon of kerosene Iíve ever witnessed. The flames against the night sky was a sight to behold. When the charred earth cooled I dug up the bush to reveal a huge underground cavity containing thousands of dead enemy soldiers.
    Funny how we take such vengeance against such tiny creatures. Very painful tiny creatures though.
    glc, Zebrafive, rtgt and 7 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

8. Top | #6
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Dang, still a beautiful piece of property. And who wouldnít want that awesome tractor there sitting on it as well.

Perhaps I could store it for you here? Just trying to help man. This yellow jacket problem could last a long time.

Thanks, but I rescued it an HR ago. They seemed to have retreated to their underground bunker. They don't know what is to come.... hahaha. I may be replying a successful attack tonight or painful failure. We'll see
    glc, dieselshadow, rtgt and 4 others like this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post

I would say that pic would make an awesome Deere ad.

Big - back to your subject - yes, being able to automatically get to the controls like the parking brake are certainly warranted. It could have come out a lot worse than it did for you especially with the hill involved. You could have easily been run over by your own tractor while trying to escape. Then the little buggers would have had their way with you.....
    glc, rtgt, jdforever and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Funny how we take such vengeance against such tiny creatures. Very painful tiny creatures though.
    I'm a "Live and Let Live" guy usually but once they draw first blood then it becomes an Apocalypse Now remake! Except when it comes to snakes... then it's strike first and strike hard. :-)
    glc, dieselshadow, rtgt and 6 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

glc, dieselshadow, jgayman and 8 others like this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toughsox For This Useful Post:

BWV†(07-28-2019)

13. Top | #10
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.
    I actually thought of a flame thrower. Or gas and tannerite combination

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast