• 4 Post By etcallhome

Thread: Sliding down a hill on a tractor

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts

Sliding down a hill on a tractor

I came across these two videos this afternoon watching the Tractor Mike channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/thebigrockranch/videos).

It shows a guy brush hogging and going down what doesn't LOOK like a very steep hill. First in 2WD and then in 4WD. Tractor is a Kubota L2800 with liquid filled rear tires and an empty loader bucket. I don't know about you but I clearly felt some pucker factor myself watching the 2WD video.

2WD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef8AwzSzQJc

4WD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIG7xsuAomg
    keane and DanW like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I came across these two videos this afternoon watching the Tractor Mike channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/thebigrockranch/videos).

It shows a guy brush hogging and going down what doesn't LOOK like a very steep hill. First in 2WD and then in 4WD. Tractor is a Kubota L2800 with liquid filled rear tires and an empty loader bucket. I don't know about you but I clearly felt some pucker factor myself watching the 2WD video.

2WD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef8AwzSzQJc

4WD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIG7xsuAomg
    From the shot of the tires it looks like wet grass.

X2 on the pucker factor.
    Last edited by DanW; 09-26-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    etcallhome and Firemark like this.
    "Wherever you leak, the world hangs a bucket." - Gallagher

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks and differential pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,097 Times in 2,260 Posts
    In the first video he is jamming on the brakes. In the video from 0.48 seconds onward. Wrong thing to do - need to hit the go pedal to get the wheels to catch up to the tractor speed to regain control.

The only time I have ever used my brake pedal is for parking or steering with one brake.
    glc, etcallhome, PaDave and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,275 Posts

Sliding down a hill on a tractor

Been there, our horse pastures are very steep, MFWD engaged always after the first time that happened. I shot a video earlier in the summer in hopes that it would show, but it didnít show the full degree IMO.
    I have never slipped a tire once on some very steep slopes with the MFWD engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PJR832; 09-26-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    The only time I have ever used my brake pedal is for parking or steering with one brake.
    That and the video reminds me of a friend who was a former coworker and good fishing buddy. In the small world category, as a kid he used to help the farmer who owned the land I later bought a lot off of and now live on. The field behind me is still being farmed and at the far corner is a tractor path going down a short but steep hill to the road. As a kid he used to have to drive the tractor pulling a loaded hay wagon down that hill. The first time he did it the farmer told him to just keep it going straight and don't touch the brakes. Scared the crap out of him.

Sold - 1991 John Deere LX186 w/48" deck, 42" front plow, 1993 John Deere TRX26 snowblower
    Now own - 2018 John Deere 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Warning Light Brush Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, All States Ag Parts Mirrors, Ken's Hooks and differential pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,275 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    That and the video reminds me of a friend who was a former coworker and good fishing buddy. In the small world category, as a kid he used to help the farmer who owned the land I later bought a lot off of and now live on. The field behind me is still being farmed and at the far corner is a tractor path going down a short but steep hill to the road. As a kid he used to have to drive the tractor pulling a loaded hay wagon down that hill. The first time he did it the farmer told him to just keep it going straight and don't touch the brakes. Scared the crap out of him.
    We only pull our loaded wagons down off the top of our one field with the 2555 which happens to be FWD. The White 2-85 is a heavy enough tractor if we had a new set of sneakers on the back. The Ford 5000 is simply to small and rear drive only.

glc, etcallhome, DRobinson and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    We only pull our loaded wagons down off the top of our one field with the 2555 which happens to be FWD. The White 2-85 is a heavy enough tractor if we had a new set of sneakers on the back. The Ford 5000 is simply to small and rear drive only.

Best guestimate, this was around 45-50 years ago and odds are the tractor he was driving was old at the time. Beyond that I have no clue what it may have been.
    PJR832 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Yea pucker factor in 2wd.

I can relate to the video, one of our daughters was in the garden with my in-laws and her mom (my wife) I had loaded the trailer of my FIL with a 50gal LP tank, 4 50# saw blocks, a set of winter tires on rims, and a lot of other items cleaning out the garage. I'm using my fil MF1655 lawn-garden , wheel weights, chains on turf tires and I start down the hill beside the house to our basement..
    Well I didn't get close to the basement door, 300' later I'm still sliding down the hill, tried pushing the forward pedal as far as it would go, pressed the rev pedal and tire is spinning backward and not slowing. The whole time my daughter is yelling she wants to ride and I'm sliding toward them in the garden,.

Thankfully the garden had just been tilled and the it stopped me and tractor .

Yes pucker factor kicks in real quick..
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Anytime a machine gets away from you it is a problem. I thank this is just someone doing a set up to get attention. The tractor is following a path it has already mowed. It has a front end loader with a bucket. Camera is showing all around before the run away. Bucket tilted and put it down. Tractor will stop.
    My 13 year old daughter had that worked out on our 680 CK. I had knocked out the brake lines using it for a dozer. Operator, steering wheel holder or you tube looking for points?

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements