Any regulations for an amber strobe on a tractor?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Any regulations for an amber strobe on a tractor?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts

Any regulations for an amber strobe on a tractor?

I realize the answer to this question may be state specific (I live in PA) but does anyone know if there are any restrictions on putting an amber strobe on a tractor? My goal would be more visibility during the day and night when working near the road at the end of my driveway, especially when plowing snow at night. It could also save my bacon when I need to cross the highway to get to the neighbors property as the factory flasher lights aren't very visible from the side.

In JD's infinite wisdom the 2-series light switch mode choices are limited to flashers only, work lights only or headlights and flashers... work lights plus flashers is not an option. I would like to run the strobe when I have my front/rear work lights on.

Just curious what the collective wisdom and experience is out there regarding rules and regulations before I plunk down the money for a strobe.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Thanks
    Yep, that's gonna be a State level thing. Here in MA you are required to have a perm. mounted yellow flasher on any vehicle that is out plowing snow. I mounted mine off the back of my ROPS.
    HydroHarold and Jim Timber like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 AM
    Thanks
    I think the reason for the different modes on the switch is that your not supposed to have the work lights on while operating on roads, and you don't need the flashers when your off road.
    My 4720 has 3 modes....
    1) flashers only (daylight on road)
    2) flashers and headlights (night time on road)
    3) headlights and work lights (night time off road)

So I think there is some method to JD's madness.
    Zebrafive likes this.
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    I have the same switch choices complaint. In the winter I want ALL the lights on and especially the flashers. I have a slick 2 D-cell magnetic strobe that has several patterns. I stick it on the top of the ROPS. Town plow guy sez he can see it plain the moment he turns the corner 4 lots up. I know he won't see the flashers if I'm doing driveways...

As far as "legal"...? Either way, "Come and get me, Copper!"
    rtgt and tj1 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    I have the same switch choices complaint. In the winter I want ALL the lights on and especially the flashers. I have a slick 2 D-cell magnetic strobe that has several patterns. I stick it on the top of the ROPS. Town plow guy sez he can see it plain the moment he turns the corner 4 lots up. I know he won't see the flashers if I'm doing driveways...

As far as "legal"...? Either way, "Come and get me, Copper!"
    Funny guy Harold! You sound like my dad when he was alive.. he hated coppers! When I was a kid I must have followed in his footsteps and to this day I still have my envelope full of speeding and fix-it tickets! Used to try to outrun them, (like you said come and get me), now all they do is pick up the radio and say "he's coming"! I am also more mellow than I was then. Don't care to speed and get along with police now, have a lot for friends. but I still like your attitude! I think I was born on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon line! Would have made a good booze runner! I showed a retired statie my tickets and all he did was laugh and say I knew those troopers back then! he would have given his mother a ticket back then, was in charge of all the state radar assignments.. Keep up the funny comments Hydro!
    rtgt likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

8. Top | #6
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I realize the answer to this question may be state specific (I live in PA) but does anyone know if there are any restrictions on putting an amber strobe on a tractor? My goal would be more visibility during the day and night when working near the road at the end of my driveway, especially when plowing snow at night. It could also save my bacon when I need to cross the highway to get to the neighbors property as the factory flasher lights aren't very visible from the side.

In JD's infinite wisdom the 2-series light switch mode choices are limited to flashers only, work lights only or headlights and flashers... work lights plus flashers is not an option. I would like to run the strobe when I have my front/rear work lights on.

Just curious what the collective wisdom and experience is out there regarding rules and regulations before I plunk down the money for a strobe.
    I don't think anyone can tell you that you can't put one on your tractor and just because you cross the street to do your neighbors property that doesn't count,, you want to put one on for safety, by all means that's your legal right to do so.. Jim stated in Ma you need to have on for driving around plowing that's true, but that's running around on public roads doing commercial work. IN your own yard or across the street, not required. You pop a blue or red light on you need a permit... at least around here you do.. You stick a blue light on and use it , you will be arrested if you do not have a permit.. Yellow/amber.. have at it.. Safety trumps getting your "Bacon" burnt! Believe what Hydro said in his last sentence!
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Yep, that's gonna be a State level thing. Here in MA you are required to have a perm. mounted yellow flasher on any vehicle that is out plowing snow. I mounted mine off the back of my ROPS.
    In addition to it being a state or even local law requirement I would also say that it's generally dependent on if your operating for profit/commercial use of the equipment vs private use. If used for-profit/commercially most locations are going to require an amber light with 360• view. For private/non-profit use locally I know of no such requirement, but if you want to place one on your own dime for your own protection, amber is the proper color.
    rtgt likes this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    In addition to it being a state or even local law requirement I would also say that it's generally dependent on if your operating for profit/commercial use of the equipment vs private use. If used for-profit/commercially most locations are going to require an amber light with 360• view. For private/non-profit use locally I know of no such requirement, but if you want to place one on your own dime for your own protection, amber is the proper color.
    I appreciate everyone's input. I live on a 2-lane rural road with a speed limit of 45 MPH. However, most cars go by like the speed limit is 45 MPH MINIMUM. My driveway is at the top of a gentle rise which means I don't get much warning for approaching traffic. This morning I was at the end of the driveway spreading some stones and cars passing by didn't even let off the gas.

At least with a beacon, I'll gain a few seconds of visibility.

Every little bit helps as there is no such thing these days as "too visible".
    etcallhome, rtgt, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    I believe most all larger tractors come this the strobe as standard equipment now days. I could be wrong but all of our new equipment has it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    gbnpp05 likes this.
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    I'm like you live near the top of a grade, ,speed limit 30 most do 55 or faster. I have LED flashing lights on back of tractor, have a LED Strobe ,plus flashing lights of tractor. Don't know if it is legal or not ,but my feeling is if I can save someone from hitting me or my family so be it. Even with the lights on have had some close calls because the other driver either going to fast for road conditions ,not paying attentions or they just don't care...Personal thought they just don't care, my 2 cents.
    rtgt, tj1 and gbnpp05 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast