As the title suggests, this morning I had a lead acid automotive battery blow its top off in my basement. I have cleaned up the spill with baking soda, but I am at a loss for what to do with the battery itself. The case is cracked, top blown away (into bits around my basement) and still half full of acid. Should I attempt to transport the battery as is in some kind of container, or should I attempt to neutralize the acid then transport? Is a 5 gallon bucket capable of withstanding this acid?
I am fine, by the way, as I was upstairs at the time. It sounded like a balloon of the same volume popping, only a lot louder!