• 2 Post By CADplans

Thread: Safety Tip

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Thanks

Safety Tip

Good Sunday, everyone

As we enter the time of the year where we may be more inclined to use log or tow chains for a variety of uses, I wanted to remind everyone that inspecting the chain condition before use is important to ensure integrity. I'll use an example from this past season.

When my wife and I acquired her mother's home and land in Southern Ohio, there was a peach tree that had not bore fruit in many years. Due to persistent suckering, we trimmed most of the branches and the trunk until we had about a one foot stub sticking up from the tap root. A friend who is a professional tree trimmer advised that the stub/root could be removed using a chain and tuck or tractor. My B-I-L attempted to pull with his Avalanche, no-go. I put the draw bar on my JD-4720, wrapped the chain around it and the stub, pulled tension, put the tractor in 4WD, locked the differential, and pulled the stub and about a six foot lateral root. I heard one side of one link pop, had it broke the other side of the same link, I would have been horse-whipped by my own chain. This is a chain that I have used for over 15 years, mainly towing logs behind an ATV for fire pit wood. Closer inspection of the chain showed corrosion, erosion, and other issues that no doubt reduced the tensile strength of the chain. I replaced the failed link with a replacement and have had no further issues.

I'm not suggesting that you have non-destructive testing performed, but rather, slip the links through your fingers and look for corrosion, flat spots or nicks that may become a failure point if the remaining tensile capacity is exceeded. If you're using your tractor or 4WD pickup and chain to extricate a vehicle from a ditch and the chain fails, the stored energy will be released very violently and may potentially injure you or worse.

I had a close call in the early summer and thought that I'd pass along this tip to the other members of this forum.

Have fun this winter but stay safe!

Brian
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PikeCoGreenTractorMan For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark(11-29-2015), etcallhome(11-29-2015), Jeff R.(11-29-2015), johnH123(11-29-2015), Zebrafive(12-01-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    I've seen several chains through back glasses and windshields in my day. People getting pulled out of mudholes. "Back up and give it a good jerk?"

Going through town a couple weeks ago I saw a truck with the perfect imprint of a chain embedded in the tailgate.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    Rule of thumb is to never yank or jerk on anything made of metal, ie cable, chain, etc. Always use a steady pull when using chains or cables. If you need to tug, jerk or yank something to pop it free then use a tow strap or recovery strap. Its has stretch to it to take the shock load and if it does break its not nearly as deadly.
    etcallhome, rtgt and coaltrain like this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 PM
    Thanks

Stay safe

It's good advice to check chains and cables before use. A tow strap is ok but not if it has metal fasteners on the ends. If a hook breaks on a stretched tow strap you have a hunk of metal flying at very high speed.

In all cases where there is any chance of breaking something, it's advisable to lay an old blanket or better, canvass tarp over the chain, cable or strap. It will help contain the energy and knock the cable to the ground safely.

Tractors and trucks can generate a lot of potential energy. If it's suddenly released it become kinetic energy and certainly can become deadly.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    The approach I use is to size the chain for safety,,,

My 10K pound tractor will stall with this chain,,, so I consider it safe tor the 650,,,

Do proper maintenance,,, or replace the chain,,, IMHO,,,

etcallhome and keane like this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements