Thread: burned eyes

1. Top | #1
    rgd
    Last Online
    02-18-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Thanks

burned eyes

I'm typing by brail...so bare wit me.
    Yesterday, I seerely burned my eyes for the first time. It didnt take but a split second. Went to th ER last night as I thought it was from another incident. I cleaned my battery trmnals yesterday aslo....and naturally had a flake of the corrosion flick into my eye. It burned for a second but not enough to slow me down for long.6 hours later I could noy open my eyes as they were swelled almost shut and any light was torture...also felt like I had sand all in'em. So...my first instict was that the acid was the culprt. Docc at the ER asked me if I had done any welding that day..yep. It turned out that was tge cause and the little bit of acid only contributed. So here I am...beautiful day and I cant see worth a hoot. Doc said its probably going to be 72 hours bwfore I'm haeled up. I learned my lesson..and just want to remind the veterans and esecially the noobs.... cover them eyes!
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rgd For This Useful Post:

has15 (05-05-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts
    Great reminder Randy. Hope you can read this!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    Hope you heal fast:empathy3:! But there is a lesson to be learned here. Always safty first A bone can heal, but you only get one chance with your eyes.
    Jeff
    Jeff

2012 X540
    Rim Guard loaded rear tires
    48'' Snow Plow with Angle Kit
    52''X24'' Lawn Roller

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    First, a friend of mine once got a speck of lye in his eye. It didn't bother him all that much at first, but after three days he could hardly see and his eye was almost swelled shut, like yours. We told him he should have went right to the ER, but he didn't listen. He ended up okay, but it was something I wouldn't want to go through.

Second, what type of welding helmet were you wearing? You were wearing some sort of eye shield, right???? Hopefully once you recover and can read this you let us know.

Anyone reading this who is thinking of getting a welder, the first accessory you should purchase is an auto-darkening welding helmet. It is convenient, and you can see the work without flipping the thing up and down and needing five hands and ESP to hold the welding rod or gun in place while moving your helmet around. Even the harbor Freight $60 auto helmet is fine (I had one for three or four years before I upgraded to a SpeedGlas). Your vision is your most important sense. Don't screw with it.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

8. Top | #5
    rgd
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy b. View Post
    First, a friend of mine once got a speck of lye in his eye. It didn't bother him all that much at first, but after three days he could hardly see and his eye was almost swelled shut, like yours. We told him he should have went right to the ER, but he didn't listen. He ended up okay, but it was something I wouldn't want to go through.

Second, what type of welding helmet were you wearing? You were wearing some sort of eye shield, right???? Hopefully once you recover and can read this you let us know.

Anyone reading this who is thinking of getting a welder, the first accessory you should purchase is an auto-darkening welding helmet. It is convenient, and you can see the work without flipping the thing up and down and needing five hands and ESP to hold the welding rod or gun in place while moving your helmet around. Even the harbor Freight $60 auto helmet is fine (I had one for three or four years before I upgraded to a SpeedGlas). Your vision is your most important sense. Don't screw with it.
    Thanks guys for the well wishes.

First, let me apologize for the misspellings and lack of coherency in my posts. I am still in a fog but getting to where I can see a little better than my last post.( I can almost see the letters on the keyboard) The pain meds are contributing to my incoherency...

Yesterday , I finally had some time to rework my boxblade so that it would fit the quick hitch standard. Originally ,the top link was 17" above the bottom pins, I lowered it to 15.25". The top link hook would also catch/bind against the factory bracing so I trimmed some of it off for clearance. I had the BB situated just outside of my garage where it was in a breeze when I was welding it up. A couple of times, the weld would "swiss cheese" on me due to the mixed gas being blown away . I tried using a moving blanket to help shield the wind. I held the blanket up over me and the weld area with my left hand and gun in the other, I forgot to put my Miller auto darkening shield down once...and realized it immediately...of course a really bonehead move. But....I also cut out this 1/2" metal with my plasma torch and a couple of times didnt use anything over my eyes. (the flame was sheilded by the metal ...and it was most of the time...but not always) I believe it was the plasma rig that was my undoing and will be picking me up some shade 5 safety glasses next week.
    I know there are some members on here getting interested in welding, and I really encourage it. But there are some safety precautions that must be adhered too. I got a little cavalier and am paying the price. Fortunately its gonna get better. I was really worried though on the way to the ER....I was thinking it was the battery acid causing the problem. So....heads up ya'll,welding is fun,but be careful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006.JPG   008.JPG  
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rgd For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow (05-05-2012)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 2,507 Posts
    Thanks for sharing your story Randy, we all learn from mistakes.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgd View Post

But....I also cut out this 1/2" metal with my plasma torch and a couple of times didnt use anything over my eyes. (the flame was sheilded by the metal ...and it was most of the time...but not always) I believe it was the plasma rig that was my undoing and will be picking me up some shade 5 safety glasses next week.
    Yup, using the plasma torch has gotten a few guys I know. Glad to hear you should be okay!!!
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

12. Top | #8
    rgd
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks again...and I really hope my story will help save someone from having to endure this.(Its misery) I've had a touch of the burned eyes in the past, but it was really mild compared to this go around. Before,it just felt like I had some sand in my eyes...but this time, my eyes almost swelled completely shut and it felt like needles ,not sand in my eyes. With that said,I want to pass along some tips that the nurse at the ER shared with me...as her husband and son both weld in the oil fields. First,rinse out the eyes with milk to help soothe the burning and do it as often as needed. Second is to use a raw peeled potato cut to fit the eye socket...this will help draw out the burning sensation too. But,by all means see a doctor. He gave me prescription anti-biotic drops that is very important in fighting infection. Keeps hands very clean when near the eye as they will be very vulnerable and infection is usually what leads to lost eyesight from this scenario.
    JD 2520 TLB
    JD gt 275

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    12-21-2014 @ 04:31 PM
    Thanks
    Lived that pain too, then I decided to take a few semesters of welding classes. The old timer that taught the class had done every conceivable type of welding, including nuclear equipment at one of the local shipyards. He laughed when I told him what had happened and told me the remedy was to take some potato shavings and lay it on the eyes (closed obviously) for a while. Never did figure out exactly how long a while was, but apparently it was supposed to have something to do with the base property of potatos. Never triued it out, hope I never have to...

ANyway, glad you're feeling better.

Greg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Attono For This Useful Post:

rgd (07-02-2012)

15. Top | #10
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Thanks
    Ever since it was mandatory 15 years ago at work to have PPE especially safety glasses, no matter what I'm doing around the house,I'm wearing them. It also helps that they are bifocal and they sure help for reading manuals and labels and performing close up work.

Greg
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD: