Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree318Likes

Thread: Rolled my 1025R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks

Unhappy Rolled my 1025R

On Sunday afternoon we started working on the garden and I was moving some dirt. I did this several times already on Sunday: scooping, keeping the loader bucket low, backing down the slope, and on my way. As I came up for another scoop I thought "I should drop some dirt in that low spot right there in front of me." I took a scoop and started to lower the bucket, back up, and turn on the same slope, but this time I also hit that low spot, which was enough to start the tractor on it's side.

Of course, it all happened fast at that point. I looked to the left and saw I was in the low spot, looked to the right and saw that both wheels were off the ground, then looked back to the left and stepped off the tractor that was already pretty much all the way over. Nobody was hurt.

The biggest problem is that I should have lowered the bucket further before backing and/or turning, though I'm pretty sure I had to back up at least some to simply have room to lower it further. And then, of course, turning on the slope didn't help. The loader bucket wasn't as high as this picture shows. The angle of the photo exaggerates the height of the loader (it's not straight on), and where the tractor went over there is a skid mark where the tractor and loader moved about a foot. I'm not exactly sure how high the loader bucket was, but definitely below the hood. The lights on the left side of the ROPS are completely destroyed, but it otherwise seems to be ok.

Anyway, I went over to my neighbor (who I've talked to exactly once!) and asked if he could right the tractor with his skid steer. A few minutes later it was righted, but it wouldn't start. A few hours later, it started up and I drove it back to the shed and put it away. That was enough tractoring for one day.

Are there things I should look at after an accident like this? The diesel cap was on tight, the hydraulic fluid leaked a few ounces, and oil level looked ok. Aside from the ROPS lights there didn't seem to be any damage anywhere else, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12928426_10207861835175572_2955530356281984492_n.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	155089
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danwolfgang For This Useful Post:

636mullet (04-18-2016), BillQ (03-31-2016), Carvel Loafer (03-31-2016), Gizmo2 (03-31-2016), Jep (03-30-2016), romcjr (04-03-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,223 Posts
    Looking at the pic it looks like the ROPS is up. You say you "stepped off" - does that mean you didn't have the seat belt on?
    Last edited by coaltrain; 03-30-2016 at 10:22 AM.
    etcallhome and DRobinson like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 957 Posts
    Wow! I am so glad you weren't hurt. The machine is always fixable or replaceable, a person, yeah not so much. As for what to look for, I'll defer that to the experts.

BTW, this is another reason why I am so spoiled with having flat property!

P.S......coaltrain, looks like the ROPS is up in the pic, but good point about the seatbelt.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ColonyPark For This Useful Post:

Knuckles (05-28-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post

P.S......coaltrain, looks like the ROPS is up in the pic, but good point about the seatbelt.
    Yeah - I saw that with my second look and edited my post.

Then my next question would be about any balast?
    Last edited by coaltrain; 03-30-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    05-21-2019 @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Yeah - I saw that with my second look and edited my post.

Then my next question would be about any balast?
    Looks like he had the Tiller on it, not sure if enough ballast or not. Glad your ok.
    etcallhome, Levi and Marlin like this.
    2015 2032R with turf tires & H130 loader, 61" HD bucket
    Ballast box (filled with rocks for now)
    IMatch hitch
    LR2060L landscape rake
    Artillian grapple
    Artillian 36" forks
    Befco wood chipper
    Little Giant PTO leaf blower
    Hydraulic snowplow
    Woods 60" Box Blade

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookoil View Post
    Looks like he had the Tiller on it, not sure if enough ballast or not. Glad your ok.
    You guys are good at seeing things in the pic - guess my eyes are getting worse.....

Next time I'll study the facts more before commenting.
    Marlin likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 01:58 AM
    Thanks
    Wow, glad nobody was hurt. The next thing that came to my mind after looking at the picture is the slope really doesn't look too steep. I think I have a few areas of my yard that are worse around my back fence. The only reason I had ballast is I was using the rotary cutter and then would turn around and use the FEL with a piranha bar if needed. I do have fluid filled tires in the rear. I guess I consider my self lucky at this point, thanks for posting even if it was hard to do.
    Levi likes this.
    2015 1025R - H120 FEL/49" bucket - 60D MMM/hydraulic lift - RC2048 - BB5048 - Artillian forks/36"
    Imatch hitch - Kens bolt on hooks - BXpanded piranha tooth bar
    Single point - manual independant MMM lift

Power beyond kit - planning to install at 50 hour service

Later options and dreams:
    KK 48" tiller - PHD100/PHA009 - 260 Backhoe/12" bucket - Woodmaxx TM-86H - Agrex XL300 spreader - ETA V2 48" lawn plugger - Harley rake TM-4 - 5 1/2' Farm Maxx sickle bar mower - Cole MX12 planter

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    ROPS was up, seat belt was not on. I put the ROPS up because I always bang my head into it when it's folded at 90 degrees. I've never worn the seat belt because our property is pretty flat -- aside form this one small slope in this area of the front yard. The area is built up with a stone wall and our woods -- the entry and exit area is only about 8' wide with the low point at one end and high at the other. (In other words, going up the slope to enter and going down the slope to exit.) So yeah, I never wear the seat belt. Seeing the tractor on its side, I'm not convinced that I should have been wearing the seat belt -- I would have definitely hit my shoulder, arm, and head into the ground and I can't say what the force would have been but it surely would have hurt! On a larger tractor where I think the alternative to a seat belt would be a need to jump clear of the tractor, and I can see how that would be very dangerous. But on the relatively small 1025R I simply stepped off and out of the way. I always wear my seat belt in the car. Perhaps specific to this instance, but I think it's likely I would have been injured by being seatbelted in.

The 647 tiller was on the back, which is about 300+ pounds. I was carrying it very low, FWIW, because on each trip I noticed that I was tearing up some of the slope where it was dragging, and each time I forgot about raising it higher! I didn't even think about putting the backhoe back on (650 pounds?). Would that have helped? It would have been ballast at a higher center of gravity, I think.
    1025R TLB with the 53" loader bucket and 12" backhoe bucket, 54" mower deck (no AutoConnect!), 54" snowblower, 647 tiller, and a ballast box. Fitted an RIO override, added several KBOGH products (a pair of hooks on the loader bucket, a clevis mount to the backhoe, and the diff lock pedal), a GoPro mount on top of the ROPS, R2 Manufacturing 2x 4" Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders. What next?

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    01-31-2019 @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    I appreciate you sharing your experience. From the picture, the bucket looks way to high to be making any moves on uneven ground. Approach any uneven ground from the down hill side. Stay square

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Thanks
    I'm kind of curious about your "stepping off" the tractor.... Was the tractor in motion when you did this or had it already stopped and was on it's side?

Regardless, SUPER HAPPY to hear that you're not hurt!!
    Levi, BigJim55 and Marlin like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast