Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Freak Occurrences - The norm when it comes to tractors

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Freak Occurrences - The norm when it comes to tractors

Obviously, the goal is to NOT hit driveway markers. But bad things do happen to good driveway markers once in a while. Today, I accidentally killed one in a desperate attempt to not get stuck in some greasy, wet, and heavy snow. "Bummer, but oh well", or so I thought.

Fast forward to a little while later when I was plowing into the same spot, completely forgetting about the driveway marker, which was now buried. In some stroke of fate, the fallen orange fiberglass post somehow got sprung between my plow blade and something else, probably the ground. When I picked up the plow blade to back away, it dislodged and became a missile, shooting just past my head and missing me by inches or less. I only knew about it because I heard that distinctive whiz you hear when something just misses your squash, and I heard it over the sound of the tractor, which was revved up pretty good at that point.

Instinctively, I turned and caught its landing about 35 feet behind me, disappearing into a snow bank. As you can figure, that thing would have put me in the hospital or worse if it had been just a few degrees to its left. And not to mention, getting taken out by something ORANGE would just be unjust!

Of course this is a freak occurrence, but hopefully it is at least an example for folks new to the tractor world of the crazy little situations that can arise out of nowhere just when you least expect them.
    etcallhome and macgyver6046 like this.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Artillian For This Useful Post:

rodwaller (03-09-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,976 Times in 2,482 Posts
    Good story Chris, thanks for sharing it. Just proves that one truly never knows what's gonna happen or when no matter how well we prepare. No one gets out of this alive...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Ooh man, glad nothing major happened.
    The good thing is, you need one of these events every now and then to remind you to be safe.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Thanks
    Gee, Chris . . .

You literally dodged a bullet there.

Maybe you ought to buy a lottery ticket before your run of extra-good luck expires . . .
    Ralph T
    Benefactor Member NRA

==============================================

JD 2038R w/Rimguard loaded R4 tires, wheel spacers, LED lights, fender extensions, IMatch, Heavy Hitch, 8-42 lb suitcase weights, Frontier middle buster.

220R FEL with 57" materials bucket, Heavy Hitch tooth bar & Hitch'N Can, KBOH hooks, clevises & receiver hitch.

EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

JD Z960M with Tweels, Suspension Seat, Advanced Chute System, Hitch

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks
    Scary for sure!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Workin hard at loafing!
    2012 1026R c/w H120 FEL, 42" Frontier Forks, 6T49 CL Tooth Bar, CL7 Weight Bracket

RC2048 48" Rough Cut Mower, Buhler Y550R 60" Finishing Mower, 60" Frontier RB2060L Back Blade, JD Ballast Box
    Femco Hitch Adapter 2" Receiver, 60" Farm King 3PH Snow Blower, I Match, BB2048L Frontier Box Blade

6' Kodiak Landscape Rake, Braber Equipment PHD c/w 9" & 12" X 48" Augers, HLA 1000 60" Snow Blade

1980 317 L&G Tractor c/w 48" Mower and 48" Snow Blower

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Man, glad you are here to tell about it.
    JD 2012 3320 end loader, 5' rear cutter, box blade, tiller,artillian forks, Fit rite hydraulic top link, 485 back hoe
    JD 1972 820 diesel Tractor
    JD 2013 Gator 825i.
    JD 2008 GX255 lawn tractor
    JD 1978 400

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    03-01-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Artillian View Post
    Obviously, the goal is to NOT hit driveway markers. But bad things do happen to good driveway markers once in a while. Today, I accidentally killed one in a desperate attempt to not get stuck in some greasy, wet, and heavy snow. "Bummer, but oh well", or so I thought.

Fast forward to a little while later when I was plowing into the same spot, completely forgetting about the driveway marker, which was now buried. In some stroke of fate, the fallen orange fiberglass post somehow got sprung between my plow blade and something else, probably the ground. When I picked up the plow blade to back away, it dislodged and became a missile, shooting just past my head and missing me by inches or less. I only knew about it because I heard that distinctive whiz you hear when something just misses your squash, and I heard it over the sound of the tractor, which was revved up pretty good at that point.

Instinctively, I turned and caught its landing about 35 feet behind me, disappearing into a snow bank. As you can figure, that thing would have put me in the hospital or worse if it had been just a few degrees to its left. And not to mention, getting taken out by something ORANGE would just be unjust!

Of course this is a freak occurrence, but hopefully it is at least an example for folks new to the tractor world of the crazy little situations that can arise out of nowhere just when you least expect them.
    I would appreciate it if you would not put your health at risk until AFTER my forks arrive. Thanks for your cooperation with this matter.
    Gizmo2 and dieselshadow like this.
    2011 1026R 54"MMM, D120 loader w/snowbucket and bucket quick attach conversion, 5' bush hog, middlebuster, 260 backhoe
    Remember: Too tight is two pieces

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-01-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    I was plowing my brother-in-laws driveway (lives next door) with my 1026R the other day. I always push the snow across the road over a ditch so it does not bother anyone. 2 days later my brother-in-law calls me to ask if I had seen his cat. I said no because he is quit easy to spot in the snow because he is jet black. Another day went by and he called me back saying the cat was still not home and he could use my help to search our woods to look for it. If it had died we did not want my niece (his daughter) to find it. So we were out searching and about 15 minutes in while walking the road we heard the faint cry of a cat coming from the ditch where I had pushed the snow over the side of the road 3 days before. The cat had hidden in the culvert pipe that passes under the road and I had accidentally pushed snow over the only opening in the pipe so the cat had no way to get out. The poor little guy had been in there for 3 days with no food or water. I now push the snow in a different direction.
    2011 1026R 54"MMM, D120 loader w/snowbucket and bucket quick attach conversion, 5' bush hog, middlebuster, 260 backhoe
    Remember: Too tight is two pieces

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fuelhog2000 For This Useful Post:

Adamski (03-10-2013)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-15-2016 @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks

Cool

Fuelhog,

Great story and a nice reminder to keep animals safe by not burying their hiding places.
    fuelhog2000 likes this.
    Larry

"Good advice often goes unrecognized until it's too late."

1026R tractor, H120 loader, 60D mid-mount mower, JDiMatch, RB2060L rear blade with hydraulic angling, JD ballast box, 40" hydraulic core aerator, 38" dethatcher, home-made duo screen and several JD hats.

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Lucky Chris... Poor kitty!

And of course we all know not to pull up fiberglass markers with our bare hands in the Spring, don't we! I forgot all about those nasty rods and sprung one last year and found out the hard way when I pulled it out!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast