Share Your Safety Story, Here Is Mine.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree300Likes

Thread: Share Your Safety Story, Here Is Mine.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts

Ken's thread reminded me of one of my safety mistake. So, here is my story.

Many years ago when I was young and knew everything, I was using an electric drill with wire brush on it with out safety glasses. As luck would have it I did feel the particle hit my eye and thought no more of it. That night when preparing for bed it felt like I just had a piece of dirt in my eye. I thought that if it is a piece of dirt it can work out over night. Well, I ignored the dirt in the eye feeling for another day, and shortly all felt well and back to normal, and was for a while. About a week later, one bright and sunny morning I could not even open my eye as the pain was to great. My eye did not physically hurt, but was super sensitive to light. Off to the eye doctor we go. Of course he then puts me in the head restraint and immediately shines a bright light in my eye. I physically had to hold my eye open with my hand for him to examine it. Then shortly after that came the eye drop, to which I could now look directly into the sun if I wanted. What he found was a piece of wire embedded into my eye that had become infected. It was a strange feeling to hold my eye open as he came at with what looked like a dental pick. I didn't feel a thing. I was lucky, no lasting repercussions from stupidity, but am the wiser for it today.\

Do not take your safety for granted. Anyone else have a horrifying safety story that they survived? Let's here your tale. I have a chainsaw one I can tell later, again young and stupid, still have the scar to prove it. Have not had these close calls now for over thirty years and I want to keep it that way.
    Last edited by RandyM; 07-29-2016 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
    glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 16 others like this.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RandyM For This Useful Post:

56Nine (07-29-2016), BetterThanATonka (08-01-2016), BigJim55 (07-29-2016), Bubber (07-29-2016), coaltrain (07-29-2016), ColonyPark (07-29-2016), etcallhome (07-29-2016), Gizmo2 (07-29-2016), grnspot110 (07-29-2016), Jeff R. (07-29-2016), johnH123 (07-29-2016), keane (07-29-2016), Kennyd (07-29-2016), pcabe5 (07-29-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Glad you had no further problems, Randy. As the Safety Director at my work, I fight and argue with people to wear their PPE which includes, of course, safety glasses. I don't understand the reasons. My favorite is, "They look goofy". I always respond with, "If you're here cruisin' for chicks, you picked the wrong place".
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    Glad you had no further problems, Randy. As the Safety Director at my work, I fight and argue with people to wear their PPE which includes, of course, safety glasses. I don't understand the reasons. My favorite is, "They look goofy". I always respond with, "If you're here cruisin' for chicks, you picked the wrong place".
    My safety glasses are the exact same thing as my sunglasses just with clear lenses-this way I feel comfortable wearing them-except of course while operating bungee cords

FYI: I buy usually 6 pairs of each at a time from this place-always great prices and fast shipping: Safety Glasses USA - Safety Glasses, Sunglasses, Safety Equipment

In fact I have an order on the way now...
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-29-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Thanks
    Probably the worst I've done was at the farm when my parents still lived there. I was using Dad's old JD "B" & a pickup bed trailer spraying brush along the road bank on a dirt road close to a mile from the house. The "B" died & wouldn't restart, so I walked back to the house & got the 720D with the model 80 3-pt blade. The blade was turned backwards for pushing brush, so I planned to back it up to the front of the "B", run a chain between the front wheels & lift the front of the B up & tow it back to the house. I parked the "Diesel" a few feet in front of the B while & put the chain in place. While I was on one knee putting the chain on, I heard the tires of the Diesel on the hard-packed clay road. I jumped, but not soon enough, my left thigh was caught between the blade & the front tires of the B & couldn't move anything. I was finally able to jerk free with a really bad bruise & torn britches! Recuperated for a bit, hooked the B up, lifted it & headed back to the house.

From then on, I always set the brakes!!!
    Lowell

1944 JD LA, 1953 JD 40S, 93-755 w/60" deck, '04-790 w/300 loader, 2000-F725, '07 "TS" Gator, 80-314 & numerous attachments!, 1980-2418 Power King, 1948 AC "G" & 1961 International Cub Lo Boy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to grnspot110 For This Useful Post:

RandyM (07-30-2016)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts

I'm sure I have more than I recall right now, but one of the first that comes to mind is very much like Kenny's story. I was welding, and flipped my hood up. Didn't have safety glasses on and went to chip slag off a hot weld. There are three mistakes right there- no glasses on under my hood, chipping slag by hitting it instead of scraping it, and trying to do it on a hot weld. A piece of slag flew off and hit me just a bare fraction of an inch from my eyeball, right in that soft skin around the eye. Aside from the pain, I came less than 1/16 of an inch from being blinded in one eye.

That was the last time I ever did that, but the frustrating thing is I knew better even before it happened. I was right in front of my shop, but too lazy/ complacent/ stupid to walk ten feet and get a pair of safety glasses because it would only take a second.
    Last edited by 56FordGuy; 07-29-2016 at 05:39 PM.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

RandyM (07-30-2016)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    When I was 19 I spent a summer working for a friend who owned a landscaping company. One day I was running one of the mowers (before God invented Z-turn mowers) and the grass catcher got clogged up. I throttled the mower down and disengaged the blade. I removed the grass catcher, but neglected to wait for the blades to stop turning before I stuck my hand in there to unclog it. I was VERY lucky...the spinning blade barely caught the inside of my ring finger on my left hand. It removed a small strip of skin, but that was it. Had I stuck my hand in 1/4 inch further, I would have lost at least 1 finger. I still have a scar on that finger...and this happened in 1985.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WifeSaidOK For This Useful Post:

RandyM (07-30-2016)

14. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    I was working on the rear shocks of an old beautiful Pontiac Grand Prix we owned maybe thirty years ago. I was ignorant enough to have the car up on a bumper jack. When the whole thing started heading sideways above me I scrabbled my butt out of there just as it landed. I think I got scar tissue on my heart from the scare.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

RandyM (07-30-2016)

16. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 Times in 2,579 Posts

Damn! My heart skipped a beat just reading that.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

17. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks
    My 9 lives were gone before i turned 21. Ive used 9 more since then. There was always a disreguard for a basic safety principal, usually just one. It was always a personal project, or recreational activity.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

18. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks
    Ok ive got one to share, my fault but i wasn't in danger myself.

Mowing a lawn at what was a local gass station. With the old chute guard, that was just a step. No a discrage damper. I hit i butter knife in the grass while someone was pumping gas into a pickup truck. I hit a butterknife appatently. The guy came over yelling waiving his arms. I shut it down to hear. He was pointing at his truck. I saw the smashed left slider glass, and after walking over with him i found the butter knife to the right of his rearview stuck in the windshield. Based on the angle it pretty much flew over his filler cap. How close to his head? The stations insurance covered it but i was never rehired. I was lucky i didnt kill someone. It still keeps me paranoid about discharge, ill run if im in the output direction of another mower, and may wait 5 minutes to make the one outbound pass in front of my house until no cars are there just incase

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

RandyM (07-30-2016)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast