Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Hung trees

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks

Hung trees

A friend of mine has a friend of his that is always borrowing his tractor. Long story short, the friend was trying to dislodge a pretty large gum that was over his fence and caught in another tree.

He's not sure exactly what happened, but somehow the tree came back over onto him and the tractor. Hit him in the head so hard before the ROPS caught it that it bent the seat frame down. Hit the rops so hard that it bent it and broke one of the mounting bolts.

He was knocked out and off the tractor. Lost a lot of blood before his wife happened to find him. I think his blood pressure was something like 60/40 when the paramedics arrived. spent a few days in the hospital with a bad concussion and hematomas in his neck. This was a few weeks ago and he still has no memory of the incident.

He's a lucky guy and even luckier that he is pretty short. If he were taller he would have been a lot more involved in the impact before the ROPS saved him.

Got to have a lot of respect when working around trees like that. They can be very unpredictable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to userjh160 For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (11-13-2016), etcallhome (11-12-2016), gbnpp05 (11-12-2016), Gizmo2 (11-12-2016), Jep (11-14-2016), Jim Timber (11-20-2016), keane (11-12-2016), Kennyd (11-12-2016), MoMiner (11-12-2016), Superglidesport (11-12-2016), Treefarmer (11-12-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    Good reminder...thanks for posting this story.
    I almost lost a close freind 1.5 years ago due to a tree accident, it gave me much more respect for them.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks

No Joke

They call hung trees "Widow makers" for a reason. I absolutely hate dealing with them unless I have enough cable to be far, far away. I would guess the but end dug in and the tree flipped but that's just a WAG based on seeing it in other circumstances.

The other thing that gets too many people is pushing on a tree with a loader and having the top break out and come crashing down on the machine. That's especially dangerous with dead trees but a limb can come off any tree. 500 lbs or more falling from 50 feet up has an incredible amount of energy, more than enough to destroy an ordinary ROPS on a CUT.

The friend was lucky to be alive. Sounds like the tractor may have major issues. If the ROPS was bent up that bad, a lot of force went down onto the rear end. That will need to be checked very carefully for hairline cracks or other damage before a new ROPS is installed.

Treefarmer
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 993 Posts
    I've had some experience with hung trees. Especially when cleaning-up storm damage due to a hurricane in the mid-80's and more recently Tropical Storm Sandy.

There's so much weight up high that it's impossible to anticipate which way the tree will fall once it's free. It's usually nearly impossible to get a lead high enough on the tree. You need to pull it with enough leverage to move where you want it to go. Can't do that very well with the lead low on the tree.

I have had luck cutting across the stump at an extreme downward angle which allows the tree to drop and ultimately free itself. Each situation is different. If in doubt carefully assess the situation and make sure you have assistance just in case something goes wrong.

Right now I have a huge blow-over that I haven't figured out. It's not going anywhere soon. Too large and heavy to pull using the tractor. Extreme angle which makes cutting it in place very difficult. I may just try dropping the surrounding trees first. We'll see. It's on the back burner for now.

Go slow. Be safe.
    Levi, MoMiner, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks

Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I've had some experience with hung trees. Especially when cleaning-up storm damage due to a hurricane in the mid-80's and more recently Tropical Storm Sandy.

There's so much weight up high that it's impossible to anticipate which way the tree will fall once it's free. It's usually nearly impossible to get a lead high enough on the tree. You need to pull it with enough leverage to move where you want it to go. Can't do that very well with the lead low on the tree.

I have had luck cutting across the stump at an extreme downward angle which allows the tree to drop and ultimately free itself. Each situation is different. If in doubt carefully assess the situation and make sure you have assistance just in case something goes wrong.

Right now I have a huge blow-over that I haven't figured out. It's not going anywhere soon. Too large and heavy to pull using the tractor. Extreme angle which makes cutting it in place very difficult. I may just try dropping the surrounding trees first. We'll see. It's on the back burner for now.

Go slow. Be safe.
    Good advice for sure. One helpful thing is to use a pole saw to take off as much weight as you can from a safe distance. Sometimes that can be quite a bit, sometimes none depending on how the tree is hung. Cutting at an angle is helpful as to some extent you can influence which way the tree bole moves if it slides. Wedges are helpful with that as well. If you have enough tractor, or winch you can cut a tree with a hinge and use a cable to start the bend. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to really deal with a downed/hung tree completely safely short of having a crane pick it up. I've looked at a tree for a very, very long time before starting a cut and while I thought I knew what was going to happen I also had escape routes planned and cleared. Unless I absolutely have to deal with one right now, I'll leave it for some time to see if it will come down on it's own. The other issue is when a tree hangs, it usually breaks some limbs so you have that danger as well. I want those to come down before I'm under them.

I still hate dealing with hung trees. Sometimes there's no choice but I'll go stupid slow if necessary and bring as much equipment as I can to make it safer.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts
    What a great reminder that the ROPS is just not for rollovers. We also forget that we do not need to be on hilly terrain for them to protect us. Loader work on flat ground can quickly get out of control also. Tractor use is very serious business and needs our attention at all times. Thank you for the post and I am really glad your friend is on the road to recovery.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

10. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,904 Posts
    Thanks userjh160.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    They call hung trees "Widow makers" for a reason. I absolutely hate dealing with them unless I have enough cable to be far, far away. I would guess the but end dug in and the tree flipped but that's just a WAG based on seeing it in other circumstances.

The other thing that gets too many people is pushing on a tree with a loader and having the top break out and come crashing down on the machine. That's especially dangerous with dead trees but a limb can come off any tree. 500 lbs or more falling from 50 feet up has an incredible amount of energy, more than enough to destroy an ordinary ROPS on a CUT.

The friend was lucky to be alive. Sounds like the tractor may have major issues. If the ROPS was bent up that bad, a lot of force went down onto the rear end. That will need to be checked very carefully for hairline cracks or other damage before a new ROPS is installed.

Treefarmer
    The tractor has a fluid leak coming from somewhere around the rear end now. Didn't think about checking the frame and such for damage, good idea.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Thanks
    This is an interesting case where the ROPS provided some protection in an unanticipated way. I always get an anxious feeling when I see pictures or read threads where the tractor is being used with the ROPS down. All safety features exist because at least one gruesome accident occurred at some point. There's nothing worse than re-learning the need for a safety feature the hard way.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,579 Posts
    Thanks for the post and glad to hear your friend is on the mend.

Hung trees are no fun. Over the years have cut trees and have had my share of hung trees. When I was cutting didn't have the use of a tractor. Truck would be setting far enough away and never had enough chains to really help me . So I was always trying to find ways or to keep them from being hung.
    Widow makers are always the scariest for me. Would always look above and around the area to see what branches that could or may fall where I was at or near to me. Same as Treefarmer was saying look at a tree see what way you want it to fall but make sure you have a escape route incase it falls the wrong way.

Yes ROPS probably saved your friends life.
    BigJim55 and keane like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast