Is This Safe??? Using the loader as a man lift.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree539Likes

Thread: Is This Safe??? Using the loader as a man lift.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

Is This Safe??? Using the loader as a man lift.

I was going to build a platform on a pallet, but saw this in one of Tim's videos - and thinking of doing the same with one of the IBC Tote cages I have for storing firewood.

But I was moving one of the Cages the other day, and because of a knee injury, I am kinda clumsy getting on and off the tractor. I had the cage high in the air and as I dismounted I barely touched the loader lever and the cage "dumped" really fast. If I would have been in it, and it was 6-7 feet in the air - I would have been dumped hard on the cement floor.

So - is this not a good idea??? Is there anyway to "lock" the loader arm up with the engine off??? I'm working by myself, so it is unlikely someone would come by and accidently hit that lever. But I would hate for there to be a touch of that lever by the wife delivering a soda, or asking her to get my glasses on the seat while I'm up in the air - or anything else unexpected.

Or is this just not a safe way to use the tractor? It sure would make the present project a thousand times easier.

Photos stolen from Tim's Video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 8.45.58 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 9.33.51 PM.jpg  
    Last edited by konakid; 01-08-2017 at 01:35 AM.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konakid View Post
    Or is this just not a safe way to use the tractor? It sure would make the present project a thousand times easier.
    There is 0.000% chance that you can make a JD loader "safe",, ZERO!!

Do people do it? I do it all the time. I know it is wrong.

Material lifters are totally different than people lifters,,,
    But, you play with these toys,,, (I DO enjoy playing,, ) and you take the chances.

Forget the accidental touched valve handle,, what will happen when a hose bursts,,,
    etcallhome, fdmars, pcabe5 and 5 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 02:37 PM
    Thanks
    If you are working alone, then use a ladder or scaffolding. You would still have to climb up into the cage once it is in position anyway and scaffolding won't leak down and change position over time.

The hydraulics on the tractor will leak down over time with the engine off and the forks will slowly dump. I use my forks with a sheet of plywood as a table at times and have to restart the tractor once or twice an hour to tip the forks back up.
    etcallhome, fdmars, pcabe5 and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 02:37 PM
    Thanks
    One other comment on the picture you posted: that strap is a single point of failure for the cage. A whole lot of bad would happen if it were to fail while occupied and front heavy. I'd prefer to see two straps minimum.
    etcallhome, fdmars, pcabe5 and 3 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    There is an SCV lock lever that can help keep the lever from moving accidentally, but I have not used it and can't speak for it's reliability. I fall back on my old horse riding days and always mount and dismount the tractor from the left side so as not to hit the lever.

I have to agree with the others though. I would be very hesitant to use the tractor forks as a man platform when I was working alone, which is most of the time. I'd think it would be just as easy to have a scaffold section preassembled, and with a little rigging, use the forks to move the scaffold.

etcallhome, fdmars, pcabe5 and 5 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,280 Times in 1,410 Posts
    I refuse to use the loader as a people mover.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, fdmars and 9 others like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I seen this done on a 2 series to trim some trees. Even with a actual man cage designed for a fork lift, 2 idiots and a safety harness it looked way to dangerous for me.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    There is an SCV lock lever that can help keep the lever from moving accidentally,

To answer your question, use this it does work as I use it when kids are around.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 6 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I personally think the only way to do this is you have to have two people, one on the tractor and one on the platform. If you do it yourself, you're probably better off using a ladder.
    Kennyd, etcallhome, OxPath and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    There is an SCV lock lever that can help keep the lever from moving accidentally, but I have not used it and can't speak for it's reliability.

This all depends on what tractor the OP has.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast