• 2 Post By konakid
  • 5 Post By tj1

Thread: I Need Someone To Scare Me "Straight"

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

I Need Someone To Scare Me "Straight"

I'm trying to be overly safe, but I am constantly forgetting to use my seat belt. My ROPS is always up. But, I seem to always just need to move a little something here or there, on level ground, and then see something else, and before I know it I have done something that I should have been using the seat belt. Or I am having to get off and on a lot to situate something, and promise myself I'll remember to buckle up when I start moving again - and forget.

Of course, I want it to become automatic - like it is in my car now.

I started thinking about the mechanics of a tractor roll and what really happens. And in my case I don't have any "long" hills (for a multiple rollover)- but many places were I could (due to a rock or hole and side slope) lay it on it's side. Is that a "killer?" What usually happens when a tractor just lays over, and the operator has no belt on? If the ROPS is down, does it want to keep going and land upside down? If the ROPS is up, I assume it just stops there on it's side?

If that is the case - the ROPS is up, and it just stops and lays there, what usually happens to the operator if he doesn't have his belt on? I'm telling myself it may not be that bad for me.

I've been reading some of the rollover topics - but if you could advise/tell me one thing that would "scare me straight" and help me get in the right habit - what would you tell/advise me? Does anyone else constantly forget to buckle up? It's so bad now, I'm almost in the habit of not ever buckling up. Help!!!
    etcallhome, pcabe5, keane and 1 others like this.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Artiliian Forks and Dolly
    Back Hoe
    BXpanded Thumb and BH Dolly
    x300

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,223 Posts
    Simce your ROPS is always up - just treat it like your vehicle. At least for me - I can't even drive across a parking lot without my seatbelt on - my wife is the same way. It's just automatic that I put my seatbelt on before I put it in gear.

I used to be a heavy equipment and truck driving instructor so this is engrained in my head.

You are just going to have to train your brain. If you use your parking brake every time - tell yourself that every time you release the parking brake you will have your seat belt on first. Doing this for a week or so and it should become automatic.

I did the same with setting my parking brake on my tractor. 1/2 my property is pretty level. When I have the loader on just lowering the loader will hold it. But I didn't like that so I trained my brain to set the parking brake every time before I get off.

Don't discount the importance - I am glad to see you posting this!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Thanks
    I didn't use to buckle up but I went to unload a pallet of wood pellets off the back of my truck one day and forgot that I didn't have my ballast box on. The pellets weigh 1 ton per pallet and that's way more than my loader is rated for. Usually that isn't a big deal. I can slide them off the bed of the truck and the loader will go down to the ground fairly quickly but slow enough that it doesn't cause any issues.

But without the ballast box on there, as soon as the pallet came off the bed of the truck the rear wheels came right up off the ground and my chin landed on top of the gas cap in the middle of my hood. If I hadn't been holding on to the steering wheel for dear life I'd have gotten thrown right into the bed of the truck.

So once I got my chin bandaged up, took a shower and got a fresh pair of undies on, I got that ballast box on there and now I buckle up every time. It only takes one good scare. You'll remember... assuming to live through it.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Simce your ROPS is always up - just treat it like your vehicle. At least for me - I can't even drive across a parking lot without my seatbelt on - my wife is the same way. It's just automatic that I put my seatbelt on before I put it in gear.

I used to be a heavy equipment and truck driving instructor so this is engrained in my head.

You are just going to have to train your brain. If you use your parking brake every time - tell yourself that every time you release the parking brake you will have your seat belt on first. Doing this for a week or so and it should become automatic.

I did the same with setting my parking brake on my tractor. 1/2 my property is pretty level. When I have the loader on just lowering the loader will hold it. But I didn't like that so I trained my brain to set the parking brake every time before I get off.

Don't discount the importance - I am glad to see you posting this!
    Stan hit the nail square on the head.

To answer your question about the tractor going over with no belt on the operator; what could happen is that the operator hits the ground before the tractor and the bar and/or the tractor lands on the operator.

JimR cites two valid examples:
    1. Buckle up
    2. Ensure that you have proper ballast.
    Last edited by DRobinson; 01-09-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Add comment
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Thanks
    In my truck (or any other modern vehicle, I suspect), I get about 30 seconds to get my seat belt on after I start the engine or it starts squawking. You probably need something like this for your tractor. If you are not electrically inclined, I would be glad to help you design a circuit. I saw one module on Amazon for this purpose, but I have no experience with it.
    etcallhome and Oscar Leroy like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    In my truck (or any other modern vehicle, I suspect), I get about 30 seconds to get my seat belt on after I start the engine or it starts squawking. You probably need something like this for your tractor. If you are not electrically inclined, I would be glad to help you design a circuit. I saw one module on Amazon for this purpose, but I have no experience with it.
    With all the safety features that are built in these days, which many call excessive, I'm surprised there isn't something like that already - along with those backup alarms that you can't spend an entire day without hearing at least once somewhere. Don't get me wrong - cuz the first thing I would do is probably put an on/off switch on them if there were some - but I'm surprised.

And thanks for the offer of assistance. I think I could probably figure something like that out - good idea. I told the wife to remind me whenever she sees me on the tractor, but that isn't working either.
    etcallhome and keane like this.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Artiliian Forks and Dolly
    Back Hoe
    BXpanded Thumb and BH Dolly
    x300

9. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:45 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konakid View Post
    With all the safety features that are built in these days, which many call excessive, I'm surprised there isn't something like that already - along with those backup alarms that you can't spend an entire day without hearing at least once somewhere. Don't get me wrong - cuz the first thing I would do is probably put an on/off switch on them if there were some - but I'm surprised.

And thanks for the offer of assistance. I think I could probably figure something like that out - good idea. I told the wife to remind me whenever she sees me on the tractor, but that isn't working either.
    Just remember this; When the tractor goes over it goes over hard, there is no bounce and if you are under it you could die. you're gong to fall out of the seat. If you're lucky you may just loose an arm or leg but if it lands on your noggin, it''s watermelon time a la Gallagher. how's that for scaring you straight? See if you can download some OSHA videos.. that will work too... Jim R was lucky, that tractor could also have turned sideways, remember when the rear wheels are off the ground the rest of the tractor can rotate just like the steering wheels do.. Play it safe and use the rops and seat belt. You wife will miss you.....
    RandyM, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 2 others like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements