• 8 Post By Evergreen
  • 2 Post By Evergreen

Thread: Motown Mowdown - 14th May, 2016

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks

Motown Mowdown - 14th May, 2016

I'm sure that most of you are familiar with the decay of Detroit, Michigan even if you aren't from the area. It would be easy to have a discussion about why The Motor City has fallen on times and there is certainly more than enough blame to go around. But in the long haul, those kinds of discussions get nothing accomplished. If you want to make a difference, sometimes you have to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

For a few years now there has been a grass roots movement to keep Detroit's playgrounds open for the children of the city. It is spearheaded by a group of volunteers who call themselves The Detroit Mower Gang. They have been featured by several news articles and even made their way onto a couple of tv shows. Their philosophy is that the children of Detroit need a safe place to play, and five year olds can't cut the grass themselves. Politics at city hall needn't interfere with summer fun.

The Detroit Mower Gang welcomes anyone who can help. Showing up in person with equipment and fuel is all you need to join. Food and beverages are donated to the group from other charities and the community at large. If you want more specific information, they have a website and a Facebook page (note: their website is a little out of date, but their Facebook page is current. Also, you don't need to sign up to Facebook in order to see their page and get information!).

I am planning on attending the season kickoff on May 14th this year and I will have an open seat in my truck as well as an empty space on my trailer big enough for a riding mower. If anyone on here lives in either the Lansing area or somewhere between Lansing and Detroit and would like to join me, I would welcome them to do so.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evergreen For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (01-05-2016), rtgt (01-07-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Just a little bump to shamelessly plug this thread!

My extra spot on my trailer has been filled and I think the date has been changed to the next weekend.

I know nearly all of you don't live anywhere near Detroit. On the off hand chance that you or someone you know does and would be interested in joining in, please encourage them to sign up!
    DRobinson and Levi like this.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements