Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Hauling my MCUT on a flatbed

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 03:46 PM
    Thanks

Hauling my MCUT on a flatbed

When hauling on a flatbed do you tie your tractors down or just rely on gravity and friction. What do you tie down with if you do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    2008 John Deere 4010MCUT R4 tires with 410 loader, 5' box, 5' grader, 5' Rock Rake 4' John Deere Brush cutter, Linebacher (SP) Auger, 42" Homemade ripper, Homemade 3pt trailer hitch.

Not a clue what I'm doing, but it's always lots of fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnf View Post
    When hauling on a flatbed do you tie your tractors down or just rely on gravity and friction. What do you tie down with if you do?

Gravity and friction. Are you kidding?
    Depends on how large of a tractor you have. Ratchet straps or chains & binders.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 03:46 PM
    Thanks
    I have a jd 4010 MCUT. It's about 2k with the loader.

Marlin likes this.
    2008 John Deere 4010MCUT R4 tires with 410 loader, 5' box, 5' grader, 5' Rock Rake 4' John Deere Brush cutter, Linebacher (SP) Auger, 42" Homemade ripper, Homemade 3pt trailer hitch.

Not a clue what I'm doing, but it's always lots of fun.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Thanks

YES!!! you want to tie it down.

Doug
    Marlin and wentonbrown like this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Humbolt 3-Bag 12 Bushel PTO Grass Catcher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Chains and binders....1 for each corner and at least 1 good strap for each implement
    Marlin likes this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 05:25 PM
    Thanks
    I use the 15,000lb. rachet straps from TSC. They do a good job on a SCUT or CUT. If it were a "heavy" tractor,I would go to chains and binders. Most states have regulations on tie down use. Four corner tie down is usually it. I took a machine to Canada a couple years ago and was checked, going in, for proper tie down.
    Last edited by Phil-T; 03-02-2017 at 04:24 AM.
    SCUT 1025R FILB Purchased New August 2016

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 03:03 AM
    Thanks
    Gravity and friction...lol. that's a good one. Let Johnny Law catch you hauling something like that not secured....lol.

even most riding mowers would fall off a flatbed if not properly secured for a ride.

wow......
    1025R with MMM and FEL and an LX186

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks
    I think gravity and friction will get you a ticket and a tow. I see a lot of straps but prefer chains and binders for peace of mind. There are very strict rules about this you might want to ask your local PD where to find out what is required in your state. It's not your mower you should worry about but who it could hit when it jumps off tour gravity pad.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I hauled an old oil burner furnace on my landscape trailer one time. I figured it was so heavy that it wasn't going anywhere. Looked in my mirror as the trailer went over some railroad tracks. That burner jumped about a foot off the deck. NEVER AGAIN! The full 55 gallon drum that was on the front of my trailer (same trip) was tied down. Didn't move an inch.
    rtgt likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:00 PM
    Thanks
    Whether it's in the back of a truck or on a trailer, I NEVER tie anything down. That's what gravity is for. I am also schooled enough in physics to know that the law that states "an object in motion tends to stay in motion" is overridden by the law of gravity, so you never have to worry about your load shifting if you have to brake hard or accelerate quickly. Gotta love that Isaac Newton guy! I'm not sure why those laws of physics that I thought I knew so well were ignored back in in 1978 (when I was a newly licensed driver) as I was hauling a not-strapped-down, brand new fiberglass bathtub (in a cardboard box) down the interstate at 70 mph. It lifted out of the back of the truck, pretty as you please, and then (thankfully) skidded across the lane on to the shoulder when it landed.

OK, back to being serious... I can't add much to what the others have said, but for gosh sakes - tie the darn thing down! After the bathtub incident of '78, I now over do it with straps and haven't lost anything since. When I rented a Bobcat trailer to haul my Cub home, the guy at the rental place said that the law now requires chains instead of ratchet straps. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I used on the tractor. Also, don't forget to secure the FEL. I was talking to a guy that used to work at the JD dealership that related a story about hauling a tractor where the FEL moved from the position that it was placed when parked on the flatbed.

And secure the axles or somewhere solid on the tractor. Don't be "that guy" that places a ratchet strap across the floor of the operator's station and calls it "good". Yeah, I've seen the current delivery guy from the local JD do that.

Be safe. Over-secure your load!
    rtgt, BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast