If you routinely remove your hitch from the receiver, how do you stow it safely?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: If you routinely remove your hitch from the receiver, how do you stow it safely?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks

If you routinely remove your hitch from the receiver, how do you stow it safely?

I know some remove their rear hitches between tows, and others leave the hitch installed. I also understand that in some localities the law requires the hitch be removed when not towing. Where I am the law is that the hitch must be removed if it blocks your license plate, but if it doesn't block the number, the hitch can be left installed 24/7.

If you do routinely remove your hitch, but want it along with you, how do you store it safely? It's a pretty solid and heavy item to just leave loose on a cab floor, and just tossing it in the pickup bed invites theft. I don't have a tool box in the bed and don't want one, so what is a good, safe way to stow my hitch when I remove it?
    jhays likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Under or behind a seat?

I leave mine at home.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    12-02-2018 @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks
    I have a gym bag I put mine in under the back seat. The law here says to remove when not towing , but I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for it. I don't have a choice to leave it in , my garage door will not close with anything in receiver.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:35 AM
    Thanks
    Mine get tossed in a bed mounted tool box.
    etcallhome, Levi, OxPath and 4 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    I have always just left it in. Never had a problem being stopped by the police.
    It has saved my a$$ the few times that I got rear ended over the years. One time I was in a line of cars that stopped quick. This kid in a Chevy Cavalier hit my 1995 F350 DRW Crew Cab at about 30 mph. My hitch pretty much totaled the car. The 2&5/16" ball insert was sold steel. Not hollow like most of them. The car didn't even scratch it. lol
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 03-18-2017 at 05:59 AM.
    etcallhome, Levi, OxPath and 9 others like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Well my hitch for my 2 inch ball would fit in a bag but I usually just put it on the back floor board of my crewcab and it doesn't move around. The weight distribution hitch for my 2 5/16th ball is too big and heavy for a bag. If I carry it around it goes in the bed. Never had an issue with someone trying to steal a 50lb piece of steel. My bed sits up pretty high so it's not a grab and go kind of thing.

However, if you want be organize look at this or something similar Sears.com

These go on sale every now and again. The wife has bought me several to store chains and other heavy awkward tools that sometimes travel. I would think this would hold a hitch if it wasn't too big.
    etcallhome, Levi, OxPath and 2 others like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    I never leave on in the truck - it will seize in there after a short period of time. Also it is a shin/knee knocker for me.

I have 3 or 4 inserts each setup differently. I only keep one in the truck which is setup with a clevis for using a chain or strap to pull someone out of a ditch or be pulled.

I have a tote in my truck which is full of tools and emergency supplies - that's where I keep it. But I have a tonnaeu cover on my truck.

I have to have emergency supplies with me like coat, boots, gloves and most importantly the fixings for a fire. There are many places around here where you will go 20 miles or more without seeing a house and no cell service anywhere. If I break down or get stuck I have to survive.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:20 PM
    Thanks
    Never leave mine in unless I'm towing back to back. I have several different sizes and setups that hang on the wall of my shop next to where I park my truck. Shin bangers, and will rust in around here. I do carry two in a tool bag with tow strap on floor of crew cab. One has 2" ball and other has clevis with a towel between them so they don't rattle. Never know when I have to pull someone out, is why the clevis one, and then take clevis off for hay wagons and implements. 2" is common for smaller trailers.
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    I have a small canvas (cordura?) tool bag just big enough for the receiver hitch and spare convert-a-balls that I put it in. Fits perfectly behind the rear seat on my RAM (by flipping up the seat bottom and shoving it under). Out of sight, out of the way, doesn't make any noise.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,194 Posts
    When not in use, I place my hitch under the back seat on a small rubber floor mat. It stays put.
    etcallhome, Levi, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast