Aluminum or Not
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Aluminum or Not

  1. Top | #1
    Maineguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Location
    Aroostook County, Maine
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 4 Posts

    Aluminum or Not

    Looking at a steel big text trailer or an aluminum trailer. I live in northern maine so in the winter it will get hit with salt and whatever else they put down now . The big tex steel trailer is 1700 plus tax and the mission aluminum is 2222 out the door cash. Money isnt the decider, I just thought I could repaint the steel if it rust, but the aluminum may start looking bad early since I cant preesure wash in winter. Thoughts?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    ky_shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Location
    Bluegrass state
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 270 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineguy77 View Post
    Looking at a steel big text trailer or an aluminum trailer. I live in northern maine so in the winter it will get hit with salt and whatever else they put down now . The big tex steel trailer is 1700 plus tax and the mission aluminum is 2222 out the door cash. Money isnt the decider, I just thought I could repaint the steel if it rust, but the aluminum may start looking bad early since I cant preesure wash in winter. Thoughts?
    What will you be towing a trailer with? Saving a few lbs on trailer weight allows for heavier loads if that is a benefit for you by going with aluminum. I have seen some really nasty pontoon boats end up shining like new after a good chemical bath, if the aluminum trailer ends up looking rough I assume it would be easier to clean it rather than painting steel.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-22-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

  4. Top | #3
    Maineguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Location
    Aroostook County, Maine
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_shawn View Post
    What will you be towing a trailer with? Saving a few lbs on trailer weight allows for heavier loads if that is a benefit for you by going with aluminum. I have seen some really nasty pontoon boats end up shining like new after a good chemical bath, if the aluminum trailer ends up looking rough I assume it would be easier to clean it rather than painting steel.
    I will be towing my two seater maverick and my 4 seater maverick, also my 1025r during winter months to snow blow and summer I do camp driveways with a box blade
    BigJim55 likes this.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,545
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 847 Times in 645 Posts
    I'd go with the aluminum. Even with the ability to paint steel, it's still a PITA.
    DRobinson, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  7. Top | #5
    Maineguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Location
    Aroostook County, Maine
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 4 Posts
    Just realized I totally underestimtaed my weight of tractor....14ft single axle isnt going to cut it, I need a 16ft dual...time to get trailer brakes put ont the tundra
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, fdmars and 2 others like this.

  8. Top | #6
    OxPath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,371
    Thanks
    769
    Thanked 978 Times in 604 Posts
    I went through your dilemma. I did purchase a 14', 5000#, two axle, steel BigTex. Even though the tongue weight was perfect at 450#, the trailer wasn't long enough and I had to have the backhoe on my 1025R offset to the side. That's what happens when you order a trailer out of state without a test fit of equipment.

    I sold the trailer the next year and bought an 18' BigTex, 7200# car hauler. That extra length gives me the wiggle room to get the proper tongue weight with the tractor and whatever else I might have loaded. A 16' trailer might have been sufficient, but I wasn't making the same mistake twice.

    I was, at the time, towing with a Tacoma so my tongue weight was more critical than yours with the Tundra. I invested in a tongue scale to make sure I was within spec and it proved to be a good investment as six inches back or forth on the 14' trailer changed the tongue weight by 100#.

    Depending on the year of your Tundra and if it has a towing package, it might have a pre-installed brake controller plug under the dash. If so, you can purchase a matching plug for whichever brake controller you decide to go with. I've been pretty happy with a Tekonsha Prodigy P2, I purchased from eTrailer.com. They also had the correct wiring adapter to fit my Tacoma.

    In regards to steel or aluminum: Both trailers will have steel axles, springs, brakes, coupler and maybe wheels, which will need attention after the winter. On the steel trailer with a wooden deck, there isn't much else that needs more than routine maintenance. BigTex have a pretty solid paint job and I have no rust so far.
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 3 others like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

  9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    33,886
    Thanks
    5,702
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    In regards to steel or aluminum: Both trailers will have steel axles, springs, brakes, coupler and maybe wheels, which will need attention after the winter.
    We had an aluminum horse trailer for many years. In the end the trailer itself looked great. The steel axles, brakes, coupler and wheels, not so much.
    Levi, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  10. Top | #8
    Maineguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    11-18-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Location
    Aroostook County, Maine
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    I went through your dilemma. I did purchase a 14', 5000#, two axle, steel BigTex. Even though the tongue weight was perfect at 450#, the trailer wasn't long enough and I had to have the backhoe on my 1025R offset to the side. That's what happens when you order a trailer out of state without a test fit of equipment.

    I sold the trailer the next year and bought an 18' BigTex, 7200# car hauler. That extra length gives me the wiggle room to get the proper tongue weight with the tractor and whatever else I might have loaded. A 16' trailer might have been sufficient, but I wasn't making the same mistake twice.

    I was, at the time, towing with a Tacoma so my tongue weight was more critical than yours with the Tundra. I invested in a tongue scale to make sure I was within spec and it proved to be a good investment as six inches back or forth on the 14' trailer changed the tongue weight by 100#.

    Depending on the year of your Tundra and if it has a towing package, it might have a pre-installed brake controller plug under the dash. If so, you can purchase a matching plug for whichever brake controller you decide to go with. I've been pretty happy with a Tekonsha Prodigy P2, I purchased from eTrailer.com. They also had the correct wiring adapter to fit my Tacoma.

    In regards to steel or aluminum: Both trailers will have steel axles, springs, brakes, coupler and maybe wheels, which will need attention after the winter. On the steel trailer with a wooden deck, there isn't much else that needs more than routine maintenance. BigTex have a pretty solid paint job and I have no rust so far.
    Thanks man...I do have a tow package 5.7 trd off rd. Not skilled in tongue weight so I need to do some studying. All I have ever hauled in my side by sides on my 6x12. Really appreciate your info.
    BigJim55 likes this.

  11. Top | #9
    OxPath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,371
    Thanks
    769
    Thanked 978 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineguy77 View Post
    Thanks man...I do have a tow package 5.7 trd off rd. Not skilled in tongue weight so I need to do some studying. All I have ever hauled in my side by sides on my 6x12. Really appreciate your info.
    That's good! It's very likely you already have the wiring harness and controller plug installed. Mine is a white molex looking plug that was tied up under the left side of the dash between the emergency brake and the side wall. You should be able to determine the exact location of yours by visiting a Tundra or towing forum and as mentioned, eTrailer.com has a fitment walk-through that will help you match your truck to the proper wiring adapter for the brake controller. If you're really lucky, there may be a video of a controller install in your actual vehicle.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

  12. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,545
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 847 Times in 645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineguy77 View Post
    Thanks man...I do have a tow package 5.7 trd off rd. Not skilled in tongue weight so I need to do some studying. All I have ever hauled in my side by sides on my 6x12. Really appreciate your info.
    If you have the tow package then all the wiring is already in place. When I setup my Tundra to tow my camper all I needed to add was the brake controller and a $12 cable that adapted the brake controller to a plug that is located under the dash in the center right near the 12v cigarette lighter outlets. The biggest problem I had was finding a decent place to mount the controller. You can hook the whole thing up in under 10 minutes.
    Gizmo2 and BigJim55 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts