need help choosing and info for a upgrade set of brakes on my chevy silverado 1500
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: need help choosing and info for a upgrade set of brakes on my chevy silverado 1500

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts

need help choosing and info for a upgrade set of brakes on my chevy silverado 1500

i want to upgrade my front rotors, and calipers on my 2006 chevy 4/4 pickup. i have had Wagner's rotor's and pads on for several yrs. but they are starting to wear down, and i do believe i have one caliper sticking some, as of last summer when the boy changed out the pads, the inside pad was wore out, and the outside was like new.

so what's any good at a decent price. i have had my eye on some slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. would like to try a set for where i live, it's up and down all the time. the wagners have been good, but they are pricey too. so educate me on some better kinds, as i'm out of the loop on this stuff-ok.

here's what i found on rock auto-is rock auto -ok?

Z36 Extreme Performance Truck & Tow w/Calipers
    Power Stop Truck & Tow Caliper Brake Kits offer superior stopping power that is demanded by those that Tow/Haul, as well as the off-road enthusiast.Any time you add weight to a vehicle by hauling a load, towing a trailer, or adding a larger wheel/tire combination, you change the operating conditions of your stock brake package. Powerstop Truck & Tow Brake Kits are specifically matched components designed to produce the brake torque that is needed due to the increase in wheel diameter or load.
    Brake Pad Features:

Rotor Features:

Caliper Features:

Z36 Truck & Tow Upgrade Brake Kit:
    [TABLE="class: nobmp, width: 534"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: listing-border-top-line listing-inner-content"]
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 995 Posts
    BigJim,

I'm not so sure you need drilled or slotted rotors unless you're going to be taking the pickup to the track. You might want to look into freshening things up with some "professional" quality replacement parts.

Raybestos is a top tier supplier and offers some premium replacement brake parts for fleet, taxi and police service that are a couple of levels improved over stock.

Here's some reading information for you:

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybes...specialty.html

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybes...echnology.html

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybes...ipers/rpt.html

These should also be available through Rock Auto.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks
    I use Rock Auto all the time, no problems. I also checked up on slotted rotors, i chose to stay far away from them. I choose to stay near to original quality. Just my personal opinion, not trying to offend anyone.
    JD 4100 HST, 410 FEL.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Raybestos, Wagner, Bendix ... any name brand will work. Just stay away from the China junk.

Don't need slotted/drilled rotors. Just buy a good set.

If you have use ceramic pads plan on replacing everything again next time.

Definitely replace both calipers and hoses.

When you have only one pad wear out (of the 2 on the same side) it was probably because the sliders were frozen.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 03-31-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    I didn't bother with slotted rotors but I have the Powerstop Extreme pads on my Tundra right now. I put them on last summer and they are a good improvement over the Toyota factory pads. I wouldn't hesitate to use Powerstop pads again.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    +1 for Rock Auto. I have had a good experience with them. I have friends who use them a lot.

One thing that they offer is bundles. They have pads, hardware, and rotors. They also have one that includes calipers. For my vehicles, they are usually Power Stop in the kits. I have been buying the middle (I think it says daily driver) rather than the economy or heavy duty/performance.

Their kits even include small packets of caliper grease. It is a handy touch if you don't have it on hand.

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    i want to upgrade my front rotors, and calipers on my 2006 chevy 4/4 pickup. i have had Wagner's rotor's and pads on for several yrs. but they are starting to wear down, and i do believe i have one caliper sticking some, as of last summer when the boy changed out the pads, the inside pad was wore out, and the outside was like new.

so what's any good at a decent price. i have had my eye on some slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. would like to try a set for where i live, it's up and down all the time. the wagners have been good, but they are pricey too. so educate me on some better kinds, as i'm out of the loop on this stuff-ok.

here's what i found on rock auto-is rock auto -ok?
    RockAuto is top notch and generally you won't find better pricing or quicker shipping.

Just get direct factory replacement parts, you and your wallet will be happier.

In regards to the drilled, slotted or drilled and slotted rotors; these will greatly reduce the lifespan of your pads and under normal daily driving or towing conditions will often result in uneven wear or premature failure of the rotor itself. You will also find that the dust production is considerably greater. The drilled/slotted rotors are designed to dissipate heat and gasses under extreme braking conditions to ensure pad contact with the rotor is maintained, you will not encounter these conditions in anything other than a panic stop in a daily driven vehicle.
    Last edited by voxombmx1; 03-31-2017 at 07:15 AM.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voxombmx1 View Post
    RockAuto is top notch and generally you won't find better pricing or quicker shipping.

In regards to the drilled, slotted or drilled and slotted rotors; these will greatly reduce the lifespan of your pads and under normal daily driving or towing conditions will often result in uneven wear or premature failure of the rotor itself. You will also find that the dust production is considerably greater. The drilled/slotted rotors are designed to dissipate heat and gasses under extreme braking conditions to ensure pad contact with the rotor is maintained, you will not encounter these conditions in anything other than a panic stop in a daily driven vehicle.
    I have always used OEM parts and have had no problems.

Well said about the rotors and pads.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by voxombmx1 View Post

This would not be a problem with only one panic stop. The problem usually only shows itself under track conditions. Or possibly running from Johnny law. lol

Drilled and or slotted rotors looks cool if you're ride has bigger open design wheels. Something like a Viper, Mustang, Corvette etc. lol
    It also says that I have more money than they know what to do with. As if the car didn't say that enough when it's stock. lol
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 03-31-2017 at 02:26 PM.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    This would not be a problem with only one panic stop. The problem usually only shows itself under track conditions. Or possibly running from Johnny law. lol

Drilled and or slotted rotors looks cool if you're ride has bigger open design wheels. Something like a Viper, Mustang, Corvette etc. lol
    It also says that I have more money than they know what to do with. As if the car didn't say that enough when it's stock. lol
    not looking for styling going down the highway i have LOTS of hills, and mountains around my place. just want something that will work better than what came on it. chevy rotors aren't or wasn't very good steel-IMO- getem hot coming down the mountain while raining, and they would warp. i know lots of uns have chevy's-not bashing chevy's. just my opinion. and i'm not riding em-either.

i also had a 98 f-150- that was my ride t the coal company. this outfit had the worst roads into the job, i've ever seen in my life. i griped every time it rained. slop every where. i started using Wagner's rotor's and their pads on it, after that slop chewed up the ford ones. they seemed to last a while longer, and didn't warp from going up and the mountain daily back then. even dropped down to 2nd to keep from touching the brake's as i came home in the wee hrs of the morning.

i didn't get around to calling today to see what prices are at my shop, really a auto parts place- i get a pretty good discount their, as i've had a account their from 1992. boys use it all the time sometimes they forget to tell me
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast