Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Best trailer for X350 to tow long distance

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 04:34 PM
    Thanks

Best trailer for X350 to tow long distance

I need to find a trailer for towing my X350 about 300 miles round trip every other week. I have some properties out of town that I've had to start maintaining the lawns and it's just easier (and cheaper believe it or not) for me to do it myself.

I'll be pulling with an F-150 equipped with a V8. I'd like to be as economical as possible while maintaining safety and versatility. Along with the lawn tractor, I'll also need to take a small push mower to get in one backyard that I cannot access with this mower as well as the typical weed eater and blower and a couple of small 2gal gas tanks.

Does anyone have suggestions? Features that I should be very specific when looking? Should I stick with new or press my luck with Craigslist?

I've been driving the thing up into the bed of the truck with ramps and truthfully, it scares me. I have to find the perfect spot to lower the height of the bed otherwise I can't get it up in there. Longer ramps just aren't an option. I'm already scared to death of the ones I'm currently using and have pinched my fingers more times than I care to admit.

I apologize for being a newbie. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for - pretty sure once I start learning the lingo I'll get better at this.
    Gizmo2, BigJim55 and JimR like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,893 Times in 2,870 Posts
    I'm a big fan of torsion axles...
    http://www.completetrailers.com/the-...e-demystified/

BTW, Welcome to GTT.

Last edited by Gizmo2; 03-31-2017 at 09:40 AM.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 05:00 PM
    Thanks
    If I was towing my mower around every other week like that I'd look for a used enclosed trailer (Something in the range of a 6'x10' or 6'x12') and use it as my storage shed for the mowers and their accessories.
    Gizmo2, meburdick, ejb69 and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (03-31-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,171 Posts
    What sized mower deck do you have on the X350? It's such a small lawn tractor that just about any small trailer will do. Your F150 won't even know you are pulling anything. You don't need anything special. A small landscape trailer with a drop-down rear ramp will make loading and unloading a breeze. Just get something wide enough to accomodate the width of your mower deck and long enough to have room at the front for your push mower and gas cans. Probably best to just toss the weed wacker in the back of the pickup.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Thanks

Save Yourself A Lot of Money

Quote Originally Posted by yellowm3 View Post
    I need to find a trailer for towing my X350 about 300 miles round trip every other week. I have some properties out of town that I've had to start maintaining the lawns and it's just easier (and cheaper believe it or not) for me to do it myself.

I'll be pulling with an F-150 equipped with a V8. I'd like to be as economical as possible while maintaining safety and versatility. Along with the lawn tractor, I'll also need to take a small push mower to get in one backyard that I cannot access with this mower as well as the typical weed eater and blower and a couple of small 2gal gas tanks.

Does anyone have suggestions? Features that I should be very specific when looking? Should I stick with new or press my luck with Craigslist?

I've been driving the thing up into the bed of the truck with ramps and truthfully, it scares me. I have to find the perfect spot to lower the height of the bed otherwise I can't get it up in there. Longer ramps just aren't an option. I'm already scared to death of the ones I'm currently using and have pinched my fingers more times than I care to admit.

I apologize for being a newbie. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for - pretty sure once I start learning the lingo I'll get better at this.
    I was faced with the same problem. I have an F-250 4x4 and I had to haul my tractor every week to maintain another property also.... I bought a set of arched loading ramps from Sears (photo below). Always load with the tail gate as low to the ground as possible and have the ruck facing downhill if possible. I have done this hundreds of times without a hiccup. One caution though - NEVER stop the tractor when you are halfway up the ramp or you could risk doing a wheelie and flipping over backwards. If you do stop on the ramp, back off completely and start again from ground level. Pulling a trailer always reduces fuel mileage due to added friction of pulling another two wheels over the road. Avoid the trailer if you don't really need one, or secretly want one! Let us know how you made out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tractor Loading Ramps.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	338570
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 03-31-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Xmission Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket, Tooth Bar, Single Point Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, WR Long 3rd Function Hyd, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger with Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What sized mower deck do you have on the X350? It's such a small lawn tractor that just about any small trailer will do. Your F150 won't even know you are pulling anything. You don't need anything special. A small landscape trailer with a drop-down rear ramp will make loading and unloading a breeze. Just get something wide enough to accomodate the width of your mower deck and long enough to have room at the front for your push mower and gas cans. Probably best to just toss the weed wacker in the back of the pickup.
    42" - the 48" won't fit in the bed of the truck and I couldn't justify the price difference for the extra 6" either way.

I think my biggest concern (?) is what do I look for to make sure I'm not going to have the trailer "popping up" on me down the highway. The speed limit is 85 part of that way. Not that I'll go 85 with the trailer, just saying driving 45-55mph for 150 miles makes for a much, much longer day for me.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    I was faced with the same problem. I have an F-250 4x4 and I had to haul my tractor every week to maintain another property also.... I bought a set of arched loading ramps from Sears (photo below). Always load with the tail gate as low to the ground as possible and have the ruck facing downhill if possible. I have done this hundreds of times without a hiccup. One caution though - NEVER stop the tractor when you are halfway up the ramp or you could risk doing a wheelie and flipping over backwards. If you do stop on the ramp, back off completely and start again from ground level. Pulling a trailer always reduces fuel mileage due to added friction of pulling another two wheels over the road. Avoid the trailer if you don't really need one, or secretly want one! Let us know how you made out!

Name:	Tractor Loading Ramps.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	338570
    My current ramp setup is a 3-ply and what I like best about it is I don't have to worry with lining it up perfectly. It's very forgiving. The yards/streets where I'm unloading/loading are not. Coupled with the fact that I need the push mower to do one backyard I just feel like a trailer is my best option until I decide whether I'm going to hang on to these properties or sell them.

I have plenty of other things I can use the trailer for. Plenty!
    HomesteadJoe likes this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowm3 View Post
    42" - the 48" won't fit in the bed of the truck and I couldn't justify the price difference for the extra 6" either way.

I think my biggest concern (?) is what do I look for to make sure I'm not going to have the trailer "popping up" on me down the highway. The speed limit is 85 part of that way. Not that I'll go 85 with the trailer, just saying driving 45-55mph for 150 miles makes for a much, much longer day for me.
    A 42" deck should easily fit in a 5' wide landscape trailer.

What do you mean by trailer "popping up" ?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    A 42" deck should easily fit in a 5' wide landscape trailer.

What do you mean by trailer "popping up" ?
    Driving faster than a trailer is rated will make it "pop up" and bounce. Probably not the correct terminology, but I've seen trailers doing this down the highway by my house.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks
    I use a 5x10' Landscape/Utility trailer for the lawn tractors. This size is perfect for me, can haul most dimensional lumbar boards and sheets flat, trailer full of mulch etc. Anything larger and I use a tandem axle. I think this is the perfect size all around trailer, easy to handle at 500 lbs.

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	719.3 KB 
ID:	338610
    Gizmo2, jgayman and HomesteadJoe like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast