Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tires ain't pretty

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks

Tires ain't pretty

We used to have a commercial here that said that. Anyhow, here's the deal. 2004 Ford Super Duty had BFG's that started separating on me in the 40K range. Two blow outs on I95 pulling a trailer is not fun. Not to mention having to changed the dang things. Went to the local truck tire place and they highly recommended the Bridgestone A/T Revo 2 in 10 ply. So after more than a $1000 I had new tires. I did this about two years ago. A month ago the truck was hopping really bad on the rear and I took it back in. They found a separated tire and pro-rated it on wear. I have probably 25k on these tires. This past Friday I am heading up the interstate pulling a gooseneck flatbed with an 8000 pound tractor on it and truck started to shake. Before I could get stopped the tire blew. Truck tire. The tread had separated and came off the inside of the tire ripping my fender up. So two $225 tires separated within a month of each other. I did some looking around the Bridgestone A/T is complained about for several years starting in the mid 2000's. Now I gotta wonder what to do. Pro-rate I won't get much (I had to pay $169 for the first pro-rated tire that got replaced. Now I need 4 new ones since I used the factory original spare and it blew within 50 miles. I now need, 1 for the latest blown tire, 2 to replace the ones left that my pop, and 1 for a spare. Pro-rated it will still be around $1000. Or, do I use the Bridgestone I got pro-rate a month ago as the spare and buy 4 new different brand tires? I kind of want an A/T tire and not just a highway tire.

What are you guys using? Do you tow many trailers? How much weight and how often? Even my factory tires lasted over 40K before they started to separate.

I have a friend who ordered a 2004 SD off of my build sheet. He got the same BFG's and blew a front tire doing $2800 damage to his truck. He had 30K on his tires at the time.

I figure about $500 damage to my rear fender and my deductible is $500. lol
    Don't squat with your spurs on!
    JD 5065E, JD 737 Z-Turn, Can Am XT1000, Massey 271, Massey 451, Vermeer Baler, Various other tools.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    I'd be talking to someone at corporate at both these tire manufactures. Something doesn't seem right with the tires doing that at 25K. Of course this assumes that they're not overloaded and the pressure is monitored regularly......... ~Scotty

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    I'd be talking to someone at corporate at both these tire manufactures. Something doesn't seem right with the tires doing that at 25K. Of course this assumes that they're not overloaded and the pressure is monitored regularly......... ~Scotty
    I had just had them rotated and rebalanced the month before. Before I left that day I checked and both rear tires were set at 80PSI which right for a load. I had the truck on the over load springs but no where near dragging the rear bumper. Should have not been to much for those tires. Triple axle trailer setting under the tractor. The first tire separated when I was running empty.
    JD 5065E, JD 737 Z-Turn, Can Am XT1000, Massey 271, Massey 451, Vermeer Baler, Various other tools.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Are you running the factory sized tire? It's not as much of an issue on a single rear wheel truck, but on a dually wider rear tires will run each other when loaded and cause failures. That doesn't sound like your issue, but worth mentioning for someone else that may be experiencing similar problems.

I'm running Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my 2001 F-350 dually. They're an all terrain tire with nice highway behavior. I tow regularly, and where from 5-6,000 lbs to 17-18,000 lbs (trailer and load combined). I've put as much as 20k behind it and I've been very happy with these tires. They ride well empty and loaded, and perform reasonably well off road. They're as good in the mud as any all terrain tire I've ran, but not quite as good as the Federal Couragia MTs I had before these. The Federals were an absolute nightmare on the highway though, with terrible tread life.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Are you running the factory sized tire? It's not as much of an issue on a single rear wheel truck, but on a dually wider rear tires will run each other when loaded and cause failures. That doesn't sound like your issue, but worth mentioning for someone else that may be experiencing similar problems.

I'm running Cooper Discoverer AT3s on my 2001 F-350 dually. They're an all terrain tire with nice highway behavior. I tow regularly, and where from 5-6,000 lbs to 17-18,000 lbs (trailer and load combined). I've put as much as 20k behind it and I've been very happy with these tires. They ride well empty and loaded, and perform reasonably well off road. They're as good in the mud as any all terrain tire I've ran, but not quite as good as the Federal Couragia MTs I had before these. The Federals were an absolute nightmare on the highway though, with terrible tread life.
    Yeah, I am running the factory size tire. I am also single rear wheel and not dual. I had looked at the Cooper when I got the Bridgestones but the dealer said he recommended them over the Coopers which he sold also. Maybe he makes more on Bridgestones? lol I am not sure at this point what I am going to do yet. May go back to Michilins but I they don't have a good A/T tire the size I need.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    One dumb thought what kind of valve stems are your tire guys using? Not that the valve stem would affect the tire separating but could cause a blow out if they are using light duty valve on a 10ply tires at 80psi will blow the valve out.

The reason I ask is when I had 10ply tires put on my TrailBlazer they used light duty valves. I was not to concerned as I got the 10 ply tires more for fuel savings than load capacity and will probably never run the tires with more than 35-40 psi.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    One dumb thought what kind of valve stems are your tire guys using? Not that the valve stem would affect the tire separating but could cause a blow out if they are using light duty valve on a 10ply tires at 80psi will blow the valve out.

The reason I ask is when I had 10ply tires put on my TrailBlazer they used light duty valves. I was not to concerned as I got the 10 ply tires more for fuel savings than load capacity and will probably never run the tires with more than 35-40 psi.
    Big ones with pressure relief valves screwed on to them. This is an old family owned tire store who deals with trucks much bigger than mine on a daily basis. Huge RV's, tractors, dump trucks, buses, you name it.

Good thought you had though. I have seen the same thing from the car tire stores trying to mess with truck tires.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-01-2015 @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks

Something wrong with that but those numbers seem off...

I am still running the factory tires on my truck. They are generic bridgestones... and I am ALMOST to the wear bars (am sitting in Ionia Michigan right now, 600+ miles from home)...

Last week, and the week before that I blew out 2 different tires on my trailer! The first one went, and changing the tire was a PITA, as my spare was low on air. Getting a tire gauge that can properly register 100+ psi is a bear (RV tire gauge is what you want).

Anyway, I changed the tire, purchased (from across the street) a smaller compressor (I have a decent one at home, but didn't bring it with me)... by the way I had JUST refilled all my trailer tires to 85PSI, because they max at 90PSI cold, and I figured 85 was correct... they were 10 ply tires.

When we took it to get replaced, we asked (since the tires looked BRAND NEW, and we purchased our trailer used 2 years ago, and its a 2004, and we KNEW they weren't original tires)... if the tires were OK, as we had 3 more on the trailer if they were OK (asking specifically about dry rot!)... NO PROBLEM they said...

Next week no interstate 83, we blew one out on the other side, grumble grumble...

4 tires later, we upgraded from 10ply E rated to 12 ply F rated, and went with Carlise tires... Jury is still out on them, but so far I like them (and I remounted my spare with a new spare, and topped all THESE up to 90psi, because the F rated ones are at 95psi cold)....

Finally last thing I'll tell you is the onboard computers telling you the PSI of your truck tires, are WAY off! Or rather they are accurate, but only update every couple minutes... with cold air coming in the PSI in the tires lowers... My trucks E rated 10 ply were reading 72psi... and they are rated to 85psi... I inflated to 80psi, before we left, and it took some of the buckle out of them.

The gooseneck of my trailer puts about #2200 in the bed of my 2500. We put Timbrens on the truck as helpers to level the truck some... but we only have singles, not doubles on the back of our 2500. My concern is blowing out a rear while towing (that's gotta be a lot of fun!).

So basically what I am saying is you likely had some pressure issues going on before the blow out... any tiny variation can cause a massive catastrophic failure... I'd expect BFG to have a pretty decent quality, and not really do this if inflated properly.

I've become a tire freak lately... and frankly also bearing freak... because this stuff is just to dangerous to leave to chance.. I am always topping off all 5 tires on the trailer and also 4 on the truck. here's our rig:
    Myasis Dragon likes this.
    Deere 3005 with 300 loader, 7 foot Back Blade, and #7 Backhoe. Someone asked me to go green, so this is what I came up with.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-04-2019 @ 02:29 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
    I am still running the factory tires on my truck. They are generic bridgestones... and I am ALMOST to the wear bars (am sitting in Ionia Michigan right now, 600+ miles from home)...
    I hope you are not serving time. I don't know of to much else to do in Ionia, MI.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post

Last week, and the week before that I blew out 2 different tires on my trailer! The first one went, and changing the tire was a PITA, as my spare was low on air. Getting a tire gauge that can properly register 100+ psi is a bear (RV tire gauge is what you want).

Anyway, I changed the tire, purchased (from across the street) a smaller compressor (I have a decent one at home, but didn't bring it with me)... by the way I had JUST refilled all my trailer tires to 85PSI, because they max at 90PSI cold, and I figured 85 was correct... they were 10 ply tires.

When we took it to get replaced, we asked (since the tires looked BRAND NEW, and we purchased our trailer used 2 years ago, and its a 2004, and we KNEW they weren't original tires)... if the tires were OK, as we had 3 more on the trailer if they were OK (asking specifically about dry rot!)... NO PROBLEM they said...

Next week no interstate 83, we blew one out on the other side, grumble grumble...

4 tires later, we upgraded from 10ply E rated to 12 ply F rated, and went with Carlise tires... Jury is still out on them, but so far I like them (and I remounted my spare with a new spare, and topped all THESE up to 90psi, because the F rated ones are at 95psi cold)....

Finally last thing I'll tell you is the onboard computers telling you the PSI of your truck tires, are WAY off! Or rather they are accurate, but only update every couple minutes... with cold air coming in the PSI in the tires lowers... My trucks E rated 10 ply were reading 72psi... and they are rated to 85psi... I inflated to 80psi, before we left, and it took some of the buckle out of them.

The gooseneck of my trailer puts about #2200 in the bed of my 2500. We put Timbrens on the truck as helpers to level the truck some... but we only have singles, not doubles on the back of our 2500. My concern is blowing out a rear while towing (that's gotta be a lot of fun!).

So basically what I am saying is you likely had some pressure issues going on before the blow out... any tiny variation can cause a massive catastrophic failure... I'd expect BFG to have a pretty decent quality, and not really do this if inflated properly.

I've become a tire freak lately... and frankly also bearing freak... because this stuff is just to dangerous to leave to chance.. I am always topping off all 5 tires on the trailer and also 4 on the truck. here's our rig:
    Carlisle makes a good trailer tire in my opinion.

I have been doing some research and it seems tires are really only good for about 4 years. That is, they still meet their original spec. Not to say you can't get more life depending on a lot of factors. My Bridgestones are maybe two years old. I will have to look at the receipt again. No auto pressure readings in my truck. Too old.

Two of the original BFG's still held air but the belt stuck up about two inches. The one I tried to use for a spare this time went 40 miles and blew like a cannon.

I am going to try and get to the tire store tomorrow and see what they have to say. Fortunately for me I had a redundant truck and had someone bring it to me.

I have always been kind of anal about checking and topping my tires off with air as needed.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast