Enclosed Trailer Winch instal... Battery?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Enclosed Trailer Winch instal... Battery?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks

Enclosed Trailer Winch instal... Battery?

Would like to install a Warn Winch M8000 on our new Enclosed Auto Trailer to be purchased soon. It will double in the meantime as our moving back to Texas trailer and haul our tractor back on the second trip. I have viewed quite a few You-Boob Video's about adding a winch and a battery to an Enclosed Trailer etc. Other than running Hot Wires direct from the Tow Vehicle back to the Winch direct, is there a way to keep a Deep Cycle battery charged on the trailer when not in use or while driving? By adding a Deep Cycle battery, is there a way to keep it charged or do I need to remove and bench charge each time? Sounds like I am confuse? Yup!

I guess what I am asking is... If I need a battery on the trailer itself, How do I keep it charged? Solar? Truck charging system? Direct line from Tow Vehicle? Bench charge each time?
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    If you have a typical 7-pin trailer connector, pin 4 should be a 30-amp lead from the tow vehicle. If you have a 6-pin connector, it's the center pin. That's usually used to charge any battery in the towed trailer. That's what they use to charge the house batteries in camping trailers. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to use that to charge your battery too.

For the rest of the time get a decent trickle charger. That will keep the battery charged up and shut itself down once that battery is fully charged.
    Last edited by JimR; 04-15-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    If you have a typical 7-pin trailer connector, pin 4 should be a 30-amp lead from the tow vehicle. If you have a 6-pin connector, it's the center pin. That's usually used to charge any battery in the towed trailer. That's what they use to charge the house batteries in camping trailers. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to use that to charge your battery too.

For the rest of the time get a decent trickle charger. That will keep the battery charged up and shut itself down once that battery is fully charged.
    Awesome. As I understand here, Hook the winch to the battery as normal and run a hot from the #7 pin (Through the Trailer wireing system) direct to the battery? Any in-line fuse?
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    Awesome. As I understand here, Hook the winch to the battery as normal and run a hot from the #7 pin (Through the Trailer wireing system) direct to the battery? Any in-line fuse?
    Yes - and a fuse is always a good idea.

A solar panel is a great idea for when the trailer is parked - you don't need a big one.

Here's a selection:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2HY7Y2II7HT77

You wouldn't have to permanently mount the solar panel - just set it up so that it gets most of the sun during the day then just remove it when you are going to use the trailer. You only need to maintain the battery when the trailer is parked since it will be charged from your truck when towing.
    BigJim55, spferdil and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Yes - and a fuse is always a good idea.

A solar panel is a great idea for when the trailer is parked - you don't need a big one.

Here's a selection:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2HY7Y2II7HT77

You wouldn't have to permanently mount the solar panel - just set it up so that it gets most of the sun during the day then just remove it when you are going to use the trailer. You only need to maintain the battery when the trailer is parked since it will be charged from your truck when towing.
    AWWWWW-Sum!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Solar

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

I've been leaving a little solar charger on my dump trailer and it seems to work ok. I only use it about every two weeks so there's a fair amount of charging time but it's been good so far.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Years ago I set my friends 24' enclosed car trailer with something similar. Only we used a Warn 3,500 lb winch. It had plenty of power to pull in any car that we hauled. I think the heaviest was a 1968 Hemi Road Runner. When the front tires went up onto the ramp door was the only time it bogged a little but nothing major.

We made a 1/4" seel plate that ran across the front of the trailer on the inside. Then winch was mounted to that. The plate was bolted to the floor. Make sure that bolts go through trailers metal frame underneath. Not just the wooden floor.

I mounted a universal plastic battery box in the right front corner. A deep cycle battery was put inside. Then the winch cables ran over to it.

The power wire from the trailer plug (mentioned above) was hooked to the battery. This will charge it when the tow vehicle is hooked & powered up. For storage a 1.25 amp Deltran battery tender was mounted next to the battery. Then just plug it in when not in use.

Also hooked up the inside cargo lights to the battery. This way if he needs to go in after dark the lights work with the switch. Otherwise the tow vehicle needs to power them. Only down side is if you forget to turn them off you will drain the battery.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 04-15-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    BigJim55, HouseMouse and Robnik like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I just added a battery to my flatbed trailer. I wired it in parallel with the breakaway brake battery and both are tied to the aux power wire. I have a quick connect on the charging wires and a small solar charger that I can connect to the new battery. If I forget to disconnect the charger and take off with the trailer both batteries are getting charged, just by different methods.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    I put an electric jack on my utility trailer. The jack came pre-wired with a 7 pin plug for plugging into the socket on the truck so you didn't have to do any wiring to use it. This was OK as long as the truck was nearby, but not if you needed to run the jack when the truck wasn't around. So I mounted a small 12v battery near the breakaway battery and put a 7 pin socket on it's box so the jack could be plugged in to either it or the truck. Wired it with a switch so that with switch open the 2 batteries are not connected (so jack can't use the breakaway battery) but when closed the new battery charges with the breakaway battery, either when hooked to the truck or with a battery minder when it's not. I keep the trailer inside when not using it so solar would'nt work for me.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:07 AM
    Thanks
    one note to consider, some trucks don't enable that pin in some years of the trucks(chevy), for me there was a fuse in the glove box that had to be put in the fuse box, my dodge came wired, I haven't checked the ford yet.
    56FordGuy and mark02tj like this.
    2025r fel snowblower

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wildbranch2007 For This Useful Post:

Treefarmer (04-16-2017)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast