Question on "baddery" terminals...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Question on "baddery" terminals...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks

Question on "baddery" terminals...

I "don't do car engines" anymore, I don't know what all that stuff is under the hood which appeared in the last 30 years. The other day Wifey's '04 Explorer battery wouldn't spin the engine, had juice just not enough. Last time when the old battery went totally dead it did some sort of computer reset and had to be "seen by a professional" to get it going again... I charged it a bit and it started.

All it needs is cleaning the battery terminals properly and then grease them. BUT, what happens when I disconnect the cables for the cleaning? These are the cheapo Ford springy/no bolt type. I really don't want another service call to the house for a reset.

Thanx!!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 AM
    Thanks
    Your last experience sounds like an anomaly. I had the terminals disconnected on an 05 Explorer a couple days ago. When I reconnected and started the vehicle, the only warning light that stayed on was the "Charge" light. I shut the engine off and restarted and the light cleared. However, I had taken the alternator out and that may have been the cause of the warning light, rather than the disconnected terminals.

I say, go for it. You should be fine. However, if you want to be super-safe, I don't see why you couldn't jumper a 12 volt source to the cables during the removal and cleaning. It's probably not needed, but may be good for piece of mind.

If I'm wrong ... I won't hold it against you.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    I "don't do car engines" anymore, I don't know what all that stuff is under the hood which appeared in the last 30 years. The other day Wifey's '04 Explorer battery wouldn't spin the engine, had juice just not enough. Last time when the old battery went totally dead it did some sort of computer reset and had to be "seen by a professional" to get it going again... I charged it a bit and it started.

All it needs is cleaning the battery terminals properly and then grease them. BUT, what happens when I disconnect the cables for the cleaning? These are the cheapo Ford springy/no bolt type. I really don't want another service call to the house for a reset.

Thanx!!

Put a set of jumper cables on and hook to another car before taking wires off battery post. You could also, use a charger to maintain a voltage to cars CPU.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Firemark For This Useful Post:

HydroHarold (04-20-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    Put a set of jumper cables on and hook to another car before taking wires off battery post. You could also, use a charger to maintain a voltage to cars CPU.
    Great, thanks! Battery charger it is!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Great, thanks! Battery charger it is!
    If the "baddery" charger is less than ~10 years old,,, the charger probably has technology built in that will shut it off when the battery is disconnected from the cables.

I keep a real old charger around for such tasks.
    I mostly use it for rust removal.

If the charger clips will not "spark" if touched together,, the charger is too new to work for this.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

HydroHarold (04-20-2017)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    I don't have the same vehicle but my thoughts are you have nothing to worry about. When I replaced the battery in my 2011 Toyota I simply removed the battery, drove to the auto parts store and bought a new one (turning in my core) and returned home and installed the new battery. The vehicle was without a battery for probably close to 1 1/2 hours. Once reconnected the engine started and everything was fine.
    DRobinson likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    I don't think there would be a problem with just disconnecting the battery. One problem with older cars when all this electronic memory first started is they would lose the radio station settings and we used to use these memory savers to prevent that.

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-300.../dp/B000GKD5Q0

However, while searching for this just now, I came across this, warning not to use a memory saver today. So I probably would not use one on cars today. YMMV.

Memory savers not recommended by industry experts | Search Autoparts
    HydroHarold and coaltrain like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Well I changed my battery in my Passat TDi, and it was supposed to need all this stuff reset by the dealer, like auto down and up window function, etc.... everything still works as it should. Just want to make ya think the dealer has to do it.... Not!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    HydroHarold likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spferdil View Post
    I don't think there would be a problem with just disconnecting the battery. One problem with older cars when all this electronic memory first started is they would lose the radio station settings and we used to use these memory savers to prevent that.

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-300.../dp/B000GKD5Q0

However, while searching for this just now, I came across this, warning not to use a memory saver today. So I probably would not use one on cars today. YMMV.

Memory savers not recommended by industry experts | Search Autoparts
    Only if you are welding. This dongle ain't supposed to be used for other things than changing the battery. My Passat the cigarette lighters die with the engine. Went through the trouble of hooking up the fuse box to back feed while changing the DSG fluid. Was to cold when I changed the battery. Only had to reset the clock and radio. That was it. Total waste of time first time around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John Deere 1025R TLB; 04-20-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    THANKS EVERYONE!!! I'm sure my box type chargers are "old enough" as one of 'em was my Dad's and the other I brought with me to this shop 20 years ago. I'll give that hookup a go "just to be on the safe side".

I'm trying to talk Wifey into buying a new something, she only likes "big and high vehicles" (bad back/legs). The car only has 18k mi. on it but small plastic objects are failing on my side (shotgun) like the assembly that used to hold the visor up had to be "permanently rewired" in the up position...

NRA Life Member

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast