• 1 Post By Waldershrek
  • 1 Post By pcabe5

Thread: dodge programmer help

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-10-2014 @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks

dodge programmer help

Hi guys Im running an 06 ram 4x4 5.7 Hemi and looking to install a chip/programmer in it to help with fuel economy and towing power

this thing is a dog and at 11 -12 mpg it su$$$$$$

what would be your recommendation's ??

Thanks
    2013 x530
    54 in edge deck
    JD 48in blade w/ HD skids
    JD wheel weights
    JD chains
    JD 17p cart
    JD 40 in. Aerator-Spreader
    HM 2in hitch
    Brinly 40 in Thatcher
    2013 Home Made trailer 10,000 Sold
    2014 HM enclosed trailer 7,000
    21 Daytona Jet W/ 548 BBC 700hp

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Save your money......

Gas programmers do not do that much for performance nor do they help much with fuel mileage. Some will add some timing and push you to use premium fuel.

If you were going to "go big" you would end up with a cold air intake, ported throttle body, and maybe long tube headers to flow more air with a good tune. But at some point, you have have to add injectors to keep up with fuel and then fuel mileage goes out the door.

If I were in your shoes, I would make sure my tires were at the max recommended pressure and that I was running the stock size tires the truck came with. Is all the maintenance up to date? Have you changed your spark plugs and cleaned your mass air flow sensor recently? That is extremely important, especially if you run an oil based air filter.

While its a lot more money, a new truck might serve you better for your wishes.

supersoaker likes this.
    Brian

4. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,994 Times in 2,951 Posts
    I would agree with Brian about the MPG, performance not so much.
    We run a 91 octane performance tune in my wife's Mustang and need to run 93 octane (no local 91 octane).
    We tried the Street tunes and did not care for them regardless of the octane required for the type of Street tune. The 91 octane Race tune we tried was unmanageable for everyday use. The 91 octane Performance tune makes the car an absolute blast to drive. Of course none of this helps you out with the MPG issue.
    supersoaker likes this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-10-2014 @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    thanks for the replys guys
    I thought about this 2yrs ago and said it's not worth it
    just had new tires put on and one of the guys there has an 05 dually hemi and said he put one in his and pick up 5mpg and a ton more power
    just thought I would ask again
    would like to get more power when towing but I don't think it will be that big of a help

need to buy another chevy

brain I did stay all most stock
    stock was 265-65 now im running 265-70
    Last edited by supersoaker; 12-08-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    2013 x530
    54 in edge deck
    JD 48in blade w/ HD skids
    JD wheel weights
    JD chains
    JD 17p cart
    JD 40 in. Aerator-Spreader
    HM 2in hitch
    Brinly 40 in Thatcher
    2013 Home Made trailer 10,000 Sold
    2014 HM enclosed trailer 7,000
    21 Daytona Jet W/ 548 BBC 700hp

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-12-2015 @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    The biggest thing you can do to get better mileage is control your right foot. Not being a smart ass, just saying. Programmers on gas trucks are pretty much worthless.
    supersoaker likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-01-2015 @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    I had an 04 Dodge Hemi 2500 HD. It was a GOOD day to get 12mph with it... consistent was 11.
    I tuned it and tuned it, drove lightly... etc... and due to a stupid situation with my now Ex-wife, was driving 140 miles a day. I calculated I burned about $600 a month thanks to her. The MPG tunes basically just lean out your mixture.. which can get bad and cause knock...

The killer you have in your truck is the 4speed auto. Especially if you have the 4:10 gears (it was common on that gen Dodge, to get the 3:73 in the 2500s... and if you do have the 3:73 like I did, the tow rating is only 8800lbs, pathetic for a 2500).

More bad news? Most of the other brand trucks aren't MUCH better (in the HD line anyway)... Don't get me started on the EcoBoost stuff from Ford in the 150. Now, I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with 4:10 gears Crew Cab but Long bed (so basically the same sized truck as my dodge except 2 feet longer)... it gets about 13.8 mpg on a good day. It has a 6 speed auto, so that's ALL you get. I hear the 5.3 Chevy 1500 does as good as 18mpg, but you'll need a newer one also with 6 speed (I don't think Dodge went to 6 speed autos until 2010ish, and they also finally went to the economy in the HEMI around 2006, where they shut off cylinders going down the highway without a load).

The best investment would be to buy a sub-$2000 beater car with a 4cyl, but it'd take you a while to make up that cost, depending on how much you drive.

If you STILL have to have a truck to drive lots (say you tow a lot)... I'd strongly recommend a 2004-2008 Chevy Duramax 6.6, or the Dodge Cummins 5.9 in the 2004-2007 range with the manual 6 speed. You can expect up to 20mpg with either (I've heard wild stories as much as 24mpg, but that's not common). What is the killer on newer trucks (2011 or newer) is the smog garbage, for the diesels anyway. They are therefore back down in mpg, to 15-17mpg. With the cost of diesel versus gas, it's really a no win with the newer trucks (as far as MPG goes). Of course the newer engines from the big 3 (diesel again) are all pretty reliable again (thank god)... My money is still on the 6.6 from Chevy though. Although I hear the Newer Cummins is also quite good.

I have a bias (truth in information act here) against Dodge, as there was a killer design flaw in the Hemi (not really, it was Dodge cheaping out)... the exhaust manifold bolts were cheap, and broke off in the heads (dissimilar metals), a bear to get out, or stupid expensive (if you pay someone to drill and tap them all out), if you haven't changed them yet in YOURS do it NOW, before they are corroded towards not being able to get them out now (possible)... Also the Dodge had terrible electrical systems, and a major amount of problems with the auto-locking hubs (I got only 10k on a brand new set, and I replaced them like 4 times in 40k miles, 2 each side). They are so bad that a guy I work with gave up on his Dodge 3500 that he went to manual hubs, that have zerks.

Sorry for the book here, but I've done a LOT of research on trucks... as we are HARD on our trucks (towing lots), and several of us (all field trialers) have experienced what happens when your rig isn't reliable (nothing like getting stranded on the side of the road towing horses, NOW WHAT? I'll answer, Rider insurance, those folks can be a god send if you don't have a friend with a similar sized tow rig).

Anyway, most of our field-trialer friends have gone Chevy/Gm, and haven't looked back. They all stink really in MPG.
    Deere 3005 with 300 loader, 7 foot Back Blade, and #7 Backhoe. Someone asked me to go green, so this is what I came up with.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    02-23-2019 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    I just found myself in a bind and had to buy a 'new'/ used vehicle in November. I previously had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. 160K It just seized up! I suspect that it wasn't totally topped off with oil at the last change, but can't prove anything! It only delivered 14 MPG with a 4.7 V-8. Just bought a 2006 Grand Limited w/72K. Ran to NYC and Delaware Last week and it came in at 16.5-17MPG. It's a 5.7 Hemi. So far I'm pleased. I knew what I was getting into, and it's no Prius .....mileage wise. ~Scotty~

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty370 View Post
    I just found myself in a bind and had to buy a 'new'/ used vehicle in November. I previously had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. 160K It just seized up! I suspect that it wasn't totally topped off with oil at the last change, but can't prove anything! It only delivered 14 MPG with a 4.7 V-8. Just bought a 2006 Grand Limited w/72K. Ran to NYC and Delaware Last week and it came in at 16.5-17MPG. It's a 5.7 Hemi. So far I'm pleased. I knew what I was getting into, and it's no Prius .....mileage wise. ~Scotty~
    Scotty, it should be absoloutely nothing like a Prius, in any way!
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #9
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by supersoaker View Post
    Hi guys Im running an 06 ram 4x4 5.7 Hemi and looking to install a chip/programmer in it to help with fuel economy and towing power

this thing is a dog and at 11 -12 mpg it su$$$$$$

what would be your recommendation's ??

Thanks
    Honesty the best factory option with a warranty is Toyota. Their 5.7 with the TRD supercharger will be 400-500hp and the couple that I do know see a mpg improvement as well. A tuner is a waste of money IMO.
    supersoaker likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements