Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Paint suggestion for a dump trailer

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks

Paint suggestion for a dump trailer

We have a small horse farm, and we have to truck our manure away. There is a decent sized creek that runs through the property, and the only way to store the manure would be to build an expensive containment shed. So, we had decided to put the money into a dump truck or trailer, rather than a shed. The state approved us taking it up to my dad's place, which has no creeks or streams nearby. The manure is given away twice a year for gardens, so only so much is accrued.
    We had a dump truck, but dad decided that he'd rather have a dump trailer. I won't go into the reasons why, because it has no bearing on the question. I will say that we sold the dump truck, and have purchased a new, 16' Kaufman gooseneck dump trailer. I am driving down to NC on Tuesday to pick it up, and before we put it into service, we want to do more to the inside of the bed than the standard enamel paint that is on it. I will spray the underside and frame with Fluidfilm, but I'm thinking of an etching primer and marine paint on the interior. Anybody got experience with a dump trailer and manure, and have a good plan that has worked?
    On the dump truck, we had painted the inside and outside of the bed with POR-15. It help up well to the manure, but it faded and flaked- we've learned some lessons since doing that job. I'm not opposed to POR-15 again, but would rather use something else that is easier to work, and probably less expensive, but effective. I'm thinking that marine paint will resist the acids pretty well, but that's just a guess. Any experienced input would be appreciated!
    pcabe5 and Robnik like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks

Fiberglass?

What about rolling on a coat or two of epoxy resin? That's a bit more expensive than the regular resin but has some flex in it. I don't think you would add too much weight if it's just the resin and no cloth to saturate.

Treefarmer
    Robnik likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    hodge-when i was gonna paint this here dump trailer that the boy made. i went to Sherwin Williams for the paint. they i think-have great paint--but the paint he thought i should use--cost a little over a $100 a gal. course i wanted the top side to be red-and all the frame to be black.

so other than that-i can't help ya outsorry!
    pcabe5, Marlin, hodge and 1 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Don't be sorry! I enjoy the replies. Makes me feel important!

7. Top | #5
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I have no recommendation but I'm curious on others inputs and what your final decision is.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks
    Have you considered a spray on bed liner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    I was thinking along the same lines as bhill. I have a big tex 10sr dump trailer and the paint in the bed was the 1st to start peeling. I was considering checking into the spray in bedliners like they put in trucks but I am sure it would not be cheap and have not talked to anyone that has done it so I am unsure as to how it would hold up
    pcabe5, BigJim55, Marlin and 1 others like this.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhill View Post
    Have you considered a spray on bed liner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The expense would be high, I'm sure. But, not as high as having to rebuild it after a couple of years. But, bedliner coating is designed to keep the load from shifting and sliding. There would be too much texture for a dump bed to work effectively. Ideally, a commercial, heat applied, spray in liner that is glossy and slick would be the ticket. I don't think there is any such thing, though. There are panels you can buy to line the bed, and it looks like the same material that cutting boards are made out of. It is pricey, too.

I'm thinking of an industrial paint that is designed to withstand the chemicals in manure. I'm imagining a marine paint, purposefully designed to resist a harsh environment.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I'm thinking you'd want an epoxy paint that was glossy so the contents would slide out.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks
    Por 15. Paint won't cut it. Used epoxy on underside of mowing deck and was shot in a couple cuttings. Easy isn't always good.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast