Beavertail pros & cons on 18' trailer
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Beavertail pros & cons on 18' trailer

  1. Top | #1
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,759
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts

    Beavertail pros & cons on 18' trailer

    I am passively looking at trailers. I am looking primarilay at a dual axle 7k gross (brakes on both axles of course). Trailer dealers are far and few between around here like everything else. If I could handle a 6 hour round trip I would have tons of selection.

    I called a dealer that is the closest with any inventory who seems to sepcialize in Car-Mate. They are popular around here since they are made in Clarion Pa.

    So I asked about a regular flatbed car hauler - he has none in stock. But as far as the beavertail he said he averages selling 1 a day (salesman talk, I know.....).

    My initial use would be hauling Mrs. C's Beetle Bug which sits very very close to the ground. From what I have read that is the reason for having a beavertail. The only other use would be a purchase someday of a side by side machine. Only other use might be hauling my tractor (2520) for repairs some day if needed.

    I know you loose 3' of deck space with a beavertail. But are there any other advantages to one that I might be missing.

    Because of the volume this guy sells of his in-stock beavertails the price is quite a bit better than ordering one with a 7 week wait. He referred to his beavertails as his "loss leader".
    grnspot110, rtgt, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,026
    Thanks
    481
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    I had an 18' bumper pull that was 16' flat and a 2' beaver tail. Aside from the lost ground clearance I didn't have much opinion one way or the other. They do ease the loading angle which can be good for low clearance stuff, at the expense of ground clearance.
    grnspot110, rtgt, OxPath and 6 others like this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  4. Top | #3
    Cutty72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 04:10 PM
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    1,260
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 113 Times in 101 Posts
    You will likely want the beaver to haul the bug. Other two won't require it.
    You *can* use the beaver portion as a load carrying area, as long as cargo can be properly secured yet, so you don't "lose" length completely.

    Unless you are doing a lot of off road hauling with the trailer, the loss of ground clearance shouldn't be an issue.
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,759
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    As usual I am at a loss until I take a ride to look at them. One concern for me are the ramps - the weight. It says the ramps for the beavertail are rear loading which I assume mean they slide into the rear of the trailer. The flat bed trailers in this class I've looked at on-line show the ramps being stowed into the sides of the trailer behind the axles.

    So would the ramps on a beavertail be shorter making them lighter? It also seems an advantage to have them stowed in the rear - just slide them out and lift one end to attach.

    This guy doesn't have any flatbeds in stock so I won't be able to compare.

    Car Mate Trailers 2017 18 FT CAR HAULER
    rtgt and Marlin like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  7. Top | #5
    Plug Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 95 Times in 73 Posts
    I just bought a new trailer after selling one like you're looking at. 16+2 foot dove, 3500# axles. Although I had no issues with that trailer, I do wish I had not bought it in the first place. Once you subtract the weight of the trailer, it really can't haul much weight. Cars, sure. Small tractors, okay. But they can't haul a 3/4 truck or probably even a crew cab 1/2 ton truck. For not much more money you can get a trailer with 7000# axles.

    As far as the dove tail design, definitely get ramps that load out the back. They are simple to slide out and set up, but surprisingly awkward if they are the side loading kind. My dove tail was steel diamond plate, and that can be slippery. When pulling the trailer around with your tractor, the dove tail can drag if you lift the 3pt too high.

    The full tilt trailers are nice, but can be awkward if you can't make them tilt manually with what you're carrying. Meaning you might have to lock out the tilt function so it doesn't tilt when you are half way on, then get out of what you're loading and release it while at an angle. The power ones with remote are great, but spendy. The tilt can be slippery if you deal with hauling when it's snowing, too.

    My new trailer has a beaver tail and big flip over ramps, 7000# axles. I think I'm going to like it a lot, and it will haul anything I want. 18+4 foot dove.
    mjncad, rtgt, OxPath and 6 others like this.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Plug Ugly For This Useful Post:

    coaltrain (05-25-2017)

  9. Top | #6
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:22 PM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,026
    Thanks
    481
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Why do you need to haul the Beetle, and would that be a regular thing? Same goes for the tractor and side by side, the dealers have mobile service techs. It is a little more expensive for a field call than shop service but it's still a lot cheaper than tags and depreciation on a trailer.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 4 others like this.
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  10. Top | #7
    OxPath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    3,469
    Thanks
    786
    Thanked 988 Times in 612 Posts
    I have an 18' wood deck car-hauler with a dovetail. The ramps stow in from the sides and as you guessed, they are pretty heavy. Rear sliding ramps would be nice.

    I dragged a rear corner of the trailer coming out of a gas station on the way home from the dealership. Within the week, I dragged it again when I backed it up an inclined apron at a friends garage and bent the license plate so badly that it was nearly unreadable when straightened. The second week, I installed an axle flip-kit to gain 5 inches of clearance.

    I now have two 3' stepped pads that I put under the ramps when I load. They give me backhoe clearance when loading the tractor and also keep the ramps from sinking into soft ground or damaging blacktop. The treated lumber pads are heavier than the ramps.

    I wouldn't buy another dovetail trailer as I seldom haul cars. The one I have now is going down the road when I get around to choosing a decent 12 or 14K equipment trailer.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

  11. Top | #8
    coaltrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Location
    NW Penna
    Posts
    19,759
    Thanks
    1,054
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
    I just bought a new trailer after selling one like you're looking at. 16+2 foot dove, 3500# axles. Although I had no issues with that trailer, I do wish I had not bought it in the first place. Once you subtract the weight of the trailer, it really can't haul much weight. Cars, sure. Small tractors, okay. But they can't haul a 3/4 truck or probably even a crew cab 1/2 ton truck. For not much more money you can get a trailer with 7000# axles.

    As far as the dove tail design, definitely get ramps that load out the back. They are simple to slide out and set up, but surprisingly awkward if they are the side loading kind. My dove tail was steel diamond plate, and that can be slippery. When pulling the trailer around with your tractor, the dove tail can drag if you lift the 3pt too high.

    The full tilt trailers are nice, but can be awkward if you can't make them tilt manually with what you're carrying. Meaning you might have to lock out the tilt function so it doesn't tilt when you are half way on, then get out of what you're loading and release it while at an angle. The power ones with remote are great, but spendy. The tilt can be slippery if you deal with hauling when it's snowing, too.

    My new trailer has a beaver tail and big flip over ramps, 7000# axles. I think I'm going to like it a lot, and it will haul anything I want. 18+4 foot dove.
    Quick question - do you have or see any need for stabilizers at the rear of the trailer for loading? I had a 16' landscape trailer with a ramp gate. The gate had a "knee" or brace that when in the down position held the rear of the trailer from dropping down when loading and lifting the rear of the truck. This feature worked great but don't know if it is needed with a beavertail.

    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    Why do you need to haul the Beetle, and would that be a regular thing? Same goes for the tractor and side by side, the dealers have mobile service techs. It is a little more expensive for a field call than shop service but it's still a lot cheaper than tags and depreciation on a trailer.
    When I get the timing belt done on the Beetle I want to be able to drop it off. I have some other work that needs done on it while it is there. Other than that it will not be a regular thing.

    And with the tractor and side by side - as I recently found out - my closest Deere dealer is 140 miles away and does not offer delivery or mobile service.

    Yeah....just rent a trailer when needed.....

    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    I have an 18' wood deck car-hauler with a dovetail. The ramps stow in from the sides and as you guessed, they are pretty heavy. Rear sliding ramps would be nice.

    I dragged a rear corner of the trailer coming out of a gas station on the way home from the dealership. Within the week, I dragged it again when I backed it up an inclined apron at a friends garage and bent the license plate so badly that it was nearly unreadable when straightened. The second week, I installed an axle flip-kit to gain 5 inches of clearance.

    I now have two 3' stepped pads that I put under the ramps when I load. They give me backhoe clearance when loading the tractor and also keep the ramps from sinking into soft ground or damaging blacktop. The treated lumber pads are heavier than the ramps.

    I wouldn't buy another dovetail trailer as I seldom haul cars. The one I have now is going down the road when I get around to choosing a decent 12 or 14K equipment trailer.
    My first thought was a 10k equipment trailer. I had a 10k landscape trailer which I used a lot back in the day. But with the rails I couldn't open the doors on the VW's when loaded. Plus I hated the gate as it was not removable or able to lay flat - it was a huge wind drag when empty.
    rtgt, OxPath and BigJim55 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

  12. Top | #9
    spferdil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,174
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 384 Times in 238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    I am passively looking at trailers. I am looking primarilay at a dual axle 7k gross (brakes on both axles of course). Trailer dealers are far and few between around here like everything else. If I could handle a 6 hour round trip I would have tons of selection.

    I called a dealer that is the closest with any inventory who seems to sepcialize in Car-Mate. They are popular around here since they are made in Clarion Pa.

    So I asked about a regular flatbed car hauler - he has none in stock. But as far as the beavertail he said he averages selling 1 a day (salesman talk, I know.....).

    My initial use would be hauling Mrs. C's Beetle Bug which sits very very close to the ground. From what I have read that is the reason for having a beavertail. The only other use would be a purchase someday of a side by side machine. Only other use might be hauling my tractor (2520) for repairs some day if needed.

    I know you loose 3' of deck space with a beavertail. But are there any other advantages to one that I might be missing.

    Because of the volume this guy sells of his in-stock beavertails the price is quite a bit better than ordering one with a 7 week wait. He referred to his beavertails as his "loss leader".
    I'm wondering if what you call a beavertail is the same as what we call a dovetail? Just a section on the rear that slopes down to make loading easier? Or is there some other difference?


    This is a car hauler I used to have that had a 2 foot dovetail on the rear. And the ramps did slide in from the rear. It was a good trailer for hauling vehicles and made loading easier, but I got to the point I hardly every hauled vehicles any more and didn't like not having any side rails on the trailer for hauling anything else. I sold it and bought a utility trailer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	375546

    For an even easier way of loading, this company belongs to a friend of mine, they build rollback trailers that have no ramps or dovetail, and they don't need them. If I did much serious hauling now I would seriously consider one of these.

    KwikLoad Trailers

    I noticed a dealer for them in your state on youtube.

    Kwik Load Texas Rollback
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

  13. Top | #10
    Plug Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 95 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Quick question - do you have or see any need for stabilizers at the rear of the trailer for loading? I had a 16' landscape trailer with a ramp gate. The gate had a "knee" or brace that when in the down position held the rear of the trailer from dropping down when loading and lifting the rear of the truck. This feature worked great but don't know if it is needed with a beavertail.
    Not really, but I have a 4wd truck. So I put it in 4wd if I'm loading something heavy. That's a lesson I learned watching a friend load a skid loader many moons ago, the trailer and truck cruising downhill with the skid loader on the very back and the rear wheels of the truck 2 feet in the air. I was laughing, he was not.

    I don't think it's more or less prevalent with a dove tail trailer, but you can get weld-on round jack rings and DIY, or just carry a few short pieces of 4x4 if you don't have 4wd.
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •