• 1 Post By Tractor Tim
  • 2 Post By KD7CAO

Thread: Roll-Off Dump Trailer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 09:22 PM
    Thanks

Question Roll-Off Dump Trailer

Anyone using a roll-off dump trailer to haul their SCUT? Looking at a lot of options and the idea of having interchangeable beds (dump body, flatbed, etc) is really intriguing. I just wonder how well my little 1 series (1025r) will hold up to being tilted at a 45 degree angle and slid off the trailer onto the ground. The benefits are no ramps, easy to haul different equipment around. Drawbacks are high tilt, more securing of equipment necessary, and added cost to whole package. Also, anyone tried to put one in the tub since they are not flat bottomed?

Thanks for your insight!
    BigJim55 and Tractor Tim like this.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7CAO View Post
    Anyone using a roll-off dump trailer to haul their SCUT? Looking at a lot of options and the idea of having interchangeable beds (dump body, flatbed, etc) is really intriguing. I just wonder how well my little 1 series (1025r) will hold up to being tilted at a 45 degree angle and slid off the trailer onto the ground. The benefits are no ramps, easy to haul different equipment around. Drawbacks are high tilt, more securing of equipment necessary, and added cost to whole package. Also, anyone tried to put one in the tub since they are not flat bottomed?

Thanks for your insight!
    do u watch tractor time with tim any on u-tube? he bought a full tilt flat bed trailer from some company out around him-or out of his state i should say. i'm pretty sure it has side boards with itbut -anyways he made a video about it-showed what all it can do-look it up. see what ya think about that.

my neighbor has a 14 ft dump-it came with ramps-no way i'dl want to haul or load my 2520 in it. just me-ok
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (06-02-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Oh yeah I watch every TTWT episode. Better than prime time television. He drives his off the trailer though, I was looking at the roll off where you actually slide the whole bin to the ground.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Oh yeah I watch every TTWT episode. Better than prime time television. He drives his off the trailer though, I was looking at the roll off where you actually slide the whole bin to the ground.

ahh- i think i know what kind ur referring to now. they have a big hook like that unloads either a dump bed-or could do a flat bed. am i right now-i have seen them on u-tube-some. but i haven't seen anybody that uses them for what ur referring about--like loading or unloading ur tractor. will keep my eye out for ya-ok.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:36 PM
    Thanks
    That is the same concept as the PLS (Palletized Loading System) trucks the Army uses. I have seen a lot of stuff loaded on those type of pallets. If you have it secure then it's no big deal to put a tractor on one, make sure you invest in good straps. I can only imagine how much this trailer you are talking about costs.

If you don't want ramps, just find a tilt deck that has stake pockets so you can also use it for other purposes. Years ago, I used to have a set up like this. It worked great for hauling cars and when I put the sides in the stakes, for hauling fire wood.
    mjncad and BigJim55 like this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Think if you install a nice winch- loading and unloading would be easy.
    Last edited by Bulitt; 06-02-2017 at 03:09 AM.
    mjncad and BigJim55 like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Those are very handy. Be sure it has the big axles and I wouldn't settle for less than the gas powered hyd pump. A battery powered one will take much longer and It'll be hard on the pump and batteries. With a gas powered one you'll be able to run a hyd winch too. Unless you have other uses for this I'd bet you'll be into it for around 15-20k on the light end depending how big you go.

My neighbor has a little one that's bumper pull. It's pretty slick

Brett
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks

Thanks for your insight!
    I'm a little surprised that the folks that make the Switch-N-Go truck beds don't have a trailer division. It'd be nice to be able to switch up the trailer bed depending on needs at the moment.

A combination between the Switch-N-Go system and a hydraulic ground lift system like the AirTow would be awesome.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks

Thanks for your insight!
    Having trouble seeing how you'll get more function out of this than what I have? If I had some tall sides for mine, wouldn't I have all the features you are wanting? It would seem to me that removable sides are easier to store and handle than removable beds.

If you have enough room for a removable bed, why not buy two trailers? A 16-18ft flatbed, and a 10-12' dump? I just didn't have space to store two trailers, and I couldn't really handle the weight of a 16-18' bumper pull dump trailer with built-in sides.

Interesting concept....

Tim
    BigJim55 likes this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    My thoughts with the roll off was the ability to drop the box on the ground. Lower height to load such as a refuse container, also I could strap down implements on one flat bed then drop it at a site go back for the tractor and drop it.

Kinda a moot point though. Cost of this concept turns out to be far more than I am willing to spend. One roll off and trailer was almost $12k, add a package of four more roll offs and it was over $20 grand.

I have seen two 16 ft GN dumps go for under $6k used this week alone so probably going to hold out for that. Would love to do an 18 or 20 but not sure I want triple axle or tandem duals. Lot of tire costs.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements