Hitch Ball Mount for new truck - adjustable vs fixed?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Hitch Ball Mount for new truck - adjustable vs fixed?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks

Hitch Ball Mount for new truck - adjustable vs fixed?

My new GMC2500 truck has a 2.5 inch receiver, and my old truck had a 2 receiver hitch. My horse trailer has a 2" bulldog coupler. I used an 8 inch drop ball mount before, but will need to go to six inch drop for the new truck's ball mount for the trailer to sit level. Trailer is a 2 horse that weighs approximately 3000 lbs unloaded, and about 6000 lbs with horses and tack.

I have two questions for you experienced haulers.

1. Move up to a 2.5 inch ball mount, or use the sleeve insert for a 2" mount that came with the new truck?

2. Should I spend the money on an adjustable ball mount, just in case I ever need to tow a different trailer, or stick with a fixed-drop ball mount? If I go adjustable mount, are there specific things to look for?

Thanks.
    Drifterbike and Robnik like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    If you have a 2.5" receiver already, then I would buy a 2.5" drawbar to fit it. As for fixed vs adjustable, if you only pull one trailer and you're sure you have the drop measurement correct then go fixed. Personally I never know what I'll have to hook up to, so I have an adjustable one. It's an older model, don't know what brand it is. If I had to buy one today I'd get this one, B&W is a super well respected company in the hitch industry. It has a 2 and 2 5/16" ball which is all you're ever likely to need.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (05-31-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    I was just in a similar position. Had my Ram 1500 where I used a 2" drop that worked well. Moved to a 2500 and man is the back of that thing higher. Plus the suspension obviously doesn't squat as much. Now I need a solid 8-9" drop for my two trailers. Also moved from 2" receiver to 2.5". No way my prior hitch was going to cut it so I bought adjustable. Also decided to try a Weigh Safe with the tongue weight scale built in because I'm always guessing and worried about tongue weight when I haul something that is not as consistent as my tractor, such as a load of black dirt or sand. I'm not 100% convinced the gauge is accurate, but I've only used it twice and once was with a light aluminum trailer that really didn't have much weight to start with. I'll keep monitoring it. However, even if the gauge turns out to be not exactly accurate it still is better than nothing. For instance, I loaded my 2520 (with loader, loaded tires, and tiller) on today and moved it around. Went from almost nothing when parked over the axles to about 1500# parked as far ahead as possible. The sweet spot where I had previously guessed it should sit was showing just over 500#. This is with said tractor and a trailer than weighs 2500# empty. So I think the gauge is better at higher weights than lower ones. And the hitch is absolute machining perfection. It is a beaut and is worth its price even if it didn't have a gauge. $300 for 10" drop aircraft aluminum billet with 2 balls and locking adjuster. http://a.co/7SjLGL3

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (05-31-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    For that weight, the 2" using the supplied sleeve would be fine. The only downside I can see is if the 2 1/2 to 2 sleeve causes more slop/wiggle room.
    The two adjustable above look good. I bought a cheap one years ago and it stood out farther from the bumper. The increase in distance from the axle/bumper created a lever effect and the bounce was significantly more but that was a 1/2 ton chevy. If the 2 to 2 1/2 sleeve fits flush in the 2 1/2 tube, I could see it getting stuck/hard to remove if it rusts at all.
    Drifterbike likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (06-01-2017)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 2,512 Posts
    I faced the same too when I bought my 2500HD, I just bought a 2" shank aluminum adjustable drop hitch and used the adapter that came with the truck. The selection of 2.5" shank receivers is limited, and much more expense.

Mine is just like this: https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/rapid-hitch.aspx
    Drifterbike likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (06-01-2017)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    For that weight, the 2" using the supplied sleeve would be fine. The only downside I can see is if the 2 1/2 to 2 sleeve causes more slop/wiggle room.
    The two adjustable above look good. I bought a cheap one years ago and it stood out farther from the bumper. The increase in distance from the axle/bumper created a lever effect and the bounce was significantly more but that was a 1/2 ton chevy. If the 2 to 2 1/2 sleeve fits flush in the 2 1/2 tube, I could see it getting stuck/hard to remove if it rusts at all.
    Yeah, the adjustable ones often do stick out further. Can affect chain, wiring, and breakaway cable length requirements. I'm going to have to re-do my breakaway cable now.

The 2-2.5" sleeve that came with my Ram is pretty precisely sized and there isn't much slop at all when used.

Rob
    Drifterbike likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

RetiredDoc (06-01-2017)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    I quess I am behind the times. Never heard of a 2.5" reciever. That's what I liked about this forum you learn something every day.
    Last edited by Drifterbike; 06-01-2017 at 08:00 AM. Reason: I hate spellcheck
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I quests I am behind the times. Never heard of a 2.5" reciever. That's what I liked about this forum you learn something every day.
    Some manufacturers are even offering a 3" now. Completely unnecessary in my opinion, even the 2.5". That much weight does not belong on a tag trailer behind anything smaller than a medium Duty truck like an International 4700 or F-650. It gives marketers something to brag about though.

I had a 2.5" on my last truck and hated it. The sleeve kept getting lost or sliding in, made installing anything a pain in the rear. Wouldn't buy another one, but since he already has it then I would eliminate the sleeve.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (06-01-2017)

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,032 Times in 2,512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Yeah, the adjustable ones often do stick out further. Can affect chain, wiring, and breakaway cable length requirements. I'm going to have to re-do my breakaway cable now.

The 2-2.5" sleeve that came with my Ram is pretty precisely sized and there isn't much slop at all when used.

Rob
    Mine is the same, it fits nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post

I had a 2.5" on my last truck and hated it. The sleeve kept getting lost or sliding in, made installing anything a pain in the rear. Wouldn't buy another one, but since he already has it then I would eliminate the sleeve.
    My sleeve is flared at the end so it can't slide through.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    A few followup questions on my original post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitch2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	380010

Name:	hitch1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	380018

In these pictures you can see the GM supplied sleeve or insert to step down the 2.5 inch receiver tube on the truck to accept my old 2 inch ball mount. There is slop between both the sleeve and the receiver, and the ball mount tube and the sleeve, so to eliminate at least part of the movement, I think I need a 2.5 inch ball mount assembly. Unless you think those anti-rattle add-on things work well? Seems to me like just an added piece of hardware to deal wth.

Now, if I go with an adjustable 2.5 nch ball mount, I'd worry about theft. In the past I have used a locking hitch pin. But if you look at the second picture, I've had to use a short pin to avoid interfering with the hole where one the trailer safety chains needs to be hooked. So that leaves me with an expensive adjustable ball mount with the locking internal pins that extend, like this one, or just using a short hitch pin with a cheaper non-adjustable mount, and accept that theft might happen. Any suggestions, or options I haven't thought of?

Name:	hitch4.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	380026

PS: The galvanized eye bolt you notice I added because there was no place to attach the wire cable from the trailer breakaway switch. The only other place I could see to attach the breakaway was directly to one of the safety chains. Actually my trailer has coiled safety wire cables rather than chains. That's an added question. Which is best, chains or wire cables? The Gore brand trailers all come with coiled wire cables.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 06-02-2017 at 11:04 AM.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast