Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Home Link

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,584 Posts

Home Link

We upgraded from 06 Honda Odyssey to 08 Toyota Sienna AWD the other week. Posted pictures the other week. Since then have been trying to program our garage door opener and garage door at my SIL dads garage. Two of his garage doors had been programmed since he bought the van new. I erased his openers and was planning on programming both of our garage doors and at least one of his doors in case I would forget my keys. For the past 2 weeks have tried at least 6 times here and three times at his place no luck. Went on line home link advised me I would need to buy some add on unit for around $35-40 bucks.. Forget that I'll hang the garage door transmitter on the sun visor. I called Toyota the other day called his dealer today while in Morgantown still no help.
    So this evening did a search on youtube. listened to 3 or 4 videos a, all suggested doing the same thing I had been doing and no help. Finally someone with a older van and a remote that looked like mine..
    Tried holding remote close to overhead console NO GOOD
    He then held remote in front of overhead console pressed remote and homelink button it flashes quickly YES Press that button to open or shut the garage door NOPE
    So then he told to press the learning button on back or side of opener and then within 30 seconds press the button on home link that you had just pressed that was flashing quick. Pressed it YES garage door opened and closed... using the home link button.

The fellow said he had a Chrysler that acted the same way. He did the same thing and it worked fine for him. and certainly helped me.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    How do you like the Sienna? I have the opportunity to buy a 12 with 90k miles next month.

3025e

4. The Following User Says Thank You to buckteeth445 For This Useful Post:

OldmanX (06-27-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 11:08 PM
    Thanks

Home Link

I bought my wife a 12' AWD Sienna new. 5 yrs and 100,000 miles. Fantastic vehicle!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by youngandgreen; 06-22-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    2016' 4044R w/metal canopy and CACL loaded R4's
    H180 loader w/73" materials bucket
    JD MX6 rotary cutter
    imatch quick hitch
    JD ballast box
    Frontier RB2184 angle blade
    front hay fork
    rear hay fork
    Tiger 83" x 20' utility trailer w/5,200 axles

2010' X324 48" deck

03' Excursion 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke w/goodies

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    That sounds like the normal procedure for a newer garage door opener to be integrated with HomeLink (teach HomeLink the remote, press button on opener, press HomeLink button). What had you been doing prior to that??

Rob
    etcallhome and buckteeth445 like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    How do you like the Sienna? I have the opportunity to buy a 12 with 90k miles next month.

3025e
    Compared to 06 Odyssey , I like both, Ody had it for 11 yrs and close to 80K . Ody smother ride than Sienna. Could be because of AWD. Like the steering better on Sienna, seems a little quicker and easier lighter touch turning the steering wheel ,especially in parking lots or low speed. IMO Honda was easier lowering the rear seats wife thinks the Sienna is a little higher getting up in ,, guess at 5' 4" maybe.. I can't notice any difference . Of course , MPG but talking Front wheel to AWD or 20-23 to now 17.7 to I had seen almost 20. Will see come Monday leaving for a tirp to Amish so that should give a better idea.
    Like the auto latch, missed it when we got our Honda because we had it on the Chryslers . Not sure about the run flat tires and no spare...
    One big difference Ody had a hold back feature in Cruise to keep speed at set or near set speed, Toy doesn't so I will need to watch my speed going down hills.

All in all Good , both have good points and I'm sure within the next few months the Toy will feel like I've had it for years. Both have good features and both have a few bad features .

So far in past 2 weeks have put close to 800 miles , that is double to 3 times the amount the SIL father would put on the van in a year. For a van than now has 122xx miles and 9 yrs old sure things will start to loosen up as the miles add up.

I'm sure the newer Toy has to have some improvements over this body style. I've been with the original owner several times when we had his utility trailer loaded and going some places where I was glad we had his AWD and not my Honda. So of course will like having the AWD..

Sorry for long reply.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    That sounds like the normal procedure for a newer garage door opener to be integrated with HomeLink (teach HomeLink the remote, press button on opener, press HomeLink button). What had you been doing prior to that??

Rob
    Lets put it this way , I followed the manual to a T and nothing worked. Tried placing the remote next to overhead console or homelink NOPE.

Tried pressing Learning button then button on home link.. NOPE.

Did these guessing 6-10 times maybe more.

Tried at the original owners building where I had programmed the opener to his van. NOPE would not program 3 different times.

I've programmed my openers to guessing 10 or more different vehicles over the years.

Here is the link that finally worked last evening took maybe a minute. Like it should have with just a little added step...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2tugjjXmTs
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    How you described the final version of procedures that worked for you is what I've always seen in Jeep/Ram and Toyota manuals. Assuming a post-1995 rolling code opener, you:

1. Press the desired HomeLink button until it goes into 'learn' mode, while holding the opener remote close and pressing its button
    2. When trained release both buttons
    3. Go to opener and find 'learn' button and press it
    4. Within 30 seconds go back to vehicle and press the just-trained HomeLink button. May take 2 or 3 presses for it to be recognized.

Just did this with my new Ram so I remember the instructions.

Also be aware of two issues:

- If the HomeLink button was previously trained I've seen it refuse to go into 'learn' mode. Had to reset the whole thing (clear all 3 buttons) to get it to train.
    - Non-rolling code openers require a different procedure which I do not recall.

Rob
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 961 Posts
    Glad you finally got it Gene. In 2013 when Mrs. CP's Hyundai Santa Fe was new, I had a heck of time programming our 2 doors into the Homelink. When the button was pushed, the wrong door would open, etc. Someone, I don't remember who, told me to program one door then wait a few hours or a day to program the other door. That seemed to work, been fine for almost 4 years. All our other vehicles with Homelink always programmed just fine, the first time.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    How you described the final version of procedures that worked for you is what I've always seen in Jeep/Ram and Toyota manuals. Assuming a post-1995 rolling code opener, you:

1. Press the desired HomeLink button until it goes into 'learn' mode, while holding the opener remote close and pressing its button
    2. When trained release both buttons
    3. Go to opener and find 'learn' button and press it
    4. Within 30 seconds go back to vehicle and press the just-trained HomeLink button. May take 2 or 3 presses for it to be recognized.

Just did this with my new Ram so I remember the instructions.

Also be aware of two issues:

- If the HomeLink button was previously trained I've seen it refuse to go into 'learn' mode. Had to reset the whole thing (clear all 3 buttons) to get it to train.
    - Non-rolling code openers require a different procedure which I do not recall.

Rob
    After seeing the youtube took maybe a minute. Never had a problem with any vehicle till this one.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm just curious what the manual said that was different from the 'right' way to program it. Like I said, that's all I've ever seen but I've only seen Daimler/Chrysler, FCA, and Toyota/Lexus manuals. Post the manual's instructions, if you can...

Rob
    1996 345 - Traded

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast