Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Trailer lock

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks

Trailer lock

I am looking for opinions/experience that you GTT folks have with trailer locks, coupler or otherwise. My new trailer has an adjustable height for coupler so a simple coupler lock is two bolts away from being changed and gone. It is going to get parked in places where I am not around to watch and don't want to drag chain thru the wheels and chip the paint up. Any ideas people? Thanks
    Robnik likes this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 AM
    Thanks
    My local Home Depot uses something like this on their rental trailers

https://smile.amazon.com/Super-buy-T...-no-redirect=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61RSMjLnmGL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	400538
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:05 PM
    Thanks
    From Amazon for the next size up

"I bought one of these last summer. This morning my trailer was stolen. They just used an iron bar or something and wedge it against the wheel and bent one side out no problem. I would not buy this again."

"I purchased two of these through Amazon, and put them on one side of my dual axle trailer. Last week,the trailer (and my new tractor) were stolen. As for the Trimax, it appears the thief used a sawzall to partially cut through one arm, then bent the arm back. I would include pictures, but no sense providing a how-to for bad guys. I'm sure it took a while to saw through two of them, but it sure didn't stop them."
    mjncad, Gizmo2 and Robnik like this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manomet View Post
    From Amazon for the next size up

"I bought one of these last summer. This morning my trailer was stolen. They just used an iron bar or something and wedge it against the wheel and bent one side out no problem. I would not buy this again."

"I purchased two of these through Amazon, and put them on one side of my dual axle trailer. Last week,the trailer (and my new tractor) were stolen. As for the Trimax, it appears the thief used a sawzall to partially cut through one arm, then bent the arm back. I would include pictures, but no sense providing a how-to for bad guys. I'm sure it took a while to saw through two of them, but it sure didn't stop them."
    Yea, if you put a chain through the wheels, they could cut that too. No matter what you do, I don't think there is a foolproof solution for determined criminals. With cordless angle grinders and bolt cutters, you really don't have much of a chance if they want your stuff.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, ColonyPark and 3 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubber View Post
    Yea, if you put a chain through the wheels, they could cut that too. No matter what you do, I don't think there is a foolproof solution for determined criminals. With cordless angle grinders and bolt cutters, you really don't have much of a chance if they want your stuff.
    For sure!
    I would put up some trail cams. And hide a "tile" locating device on the trailer. If you can't prevent the theft then recovering is the next best thing.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, bhill and 3 others like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 2,912 Posts
    Remove a few wheels.
    ColonyPark, bhill, Bubber and 1 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Remove a few wheels.
    In high school I worked for a welding shop that manufactured trailers. All of the inventory was stored inside of a chain link fence with barbed wire at the top. We would only keep one wheel on each trailer. Someone busted through the gate, took a wheel on one trailer, put it on another and stole it. After that, we took all of the wheels off of the trailers. Someone busted through the gate in a truck with a crane on it. They picked them up and drove off. South Carolina does not require VINs, or tags for trailers (or didn't at the time), so they just disappeared.

If they want it, they are taking it.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, 56FordGuy and 1 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Thanks
    Man That sucks. I hate hearing when working people get stuff stolen.

Unfortunately a lock is only used to keep honest people out.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Bubber and 1 others like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Thanks
    Around here a few years ago, they were stealing trailers by having a small ball (1 7/16") on the theft vehicle's hitch...back up to the trailer and drop it on the hitch regardless of whether or not it was locked, hook up the chains and take off til they got to where they could secure it properly.
    I burnt the stud off of several old balls and lock them into my hitches, along with locking up the chains. I know that I'm only slowing down a determined thief, but maybe that'll be enough...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 and Robnik like this.
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    There is not much you can do to stop a motivated thief. The best you can hope for is making it not worth the effort or making sure they get caught. Under some simple things you can do to make it not worth the effort, I can think of a couple that aren't too hard for you but might keep a thief moving.

1: Your coupling is removable; take it with you. Even better, lock something in the way of them putting their own on. Who carries a coupling around with them? Not opportunistic thieves.

2: Put a quick disconnect on your wiring, and take the trailer plug. Not a huge deterrent, but if they are stealing at night it might make them nervous about getting pulled over.

3: Take your jack handle. Even better, take your jack if it's a heavy trailer. I've seen construction company trailers with the couplers on a low block, no jack in sight. They either bring the jack or use their equipment to lift it. Either way, it's a pain for a thief.

Lights and camera's are the best deterrent if you can't be there. Stuff that slows them down and makes them nervous about how long it's taking might make them move on.

Sprinkling .308 brass around on the ground by the coupling might be seed for fears, too.
    mjncad, bhill, Robnik and 1 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast