Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: Used Truck Prices

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks

Used Truck Prices

I'll apologize in advance for the lengthy post....

I've been giving a LOT of thought to getting rid of my 15 year old Jeep Wrangler and getting a truck. Before the Jeep I had a '97 Ranger, before that was an '88 Ranger. While in college I had an early '70s F-100. And my parents had a '78 F-250 that I also drove from time to time in high school and college. I guess the point of this "history" is that I've always liked driving pickups. I forgot to mention my 1980 Subaru Brat which was a "truck wanna-be"!

I know that used trucks are outrageously expensive so I've been debating about buying my "forever truck" (I'm 55 now) or buying something more along the beater lines to use around here for now and then buy the forever truck in a few years. I want to get either a 3/4 or 1 ton, at least a Super Cab.

Driving around last week, I drove through the lot of a local GMC dealer just to see what he had sitting there. I noticed an F-250 XL Super Cab 4x4 at the back of the lot. You could tell that it was a fresh trade so I went inside to ask about it. The salesman didn't even know it was back there and when he asked around he found out that it was a "fleet trade-in" and the sales guys hadn't gotten the info on it yet. I went back there today and still no info, but I kind of pushed the issue and they got with the fleet manager to get the keys, etc. The truck is super clean, no rust (a big deal here where we use salt on the roads!) and only has 80,000 miles. You could still see the outline of some vinyl lettering and I figured out it was a trade in from a small city outside of Cincinnati. I called that city earlier this week and talked to their maintenance guy who told me the truck had been serviced regularly and they only got rid of it because their policy is to trade in vehicles once they reach 10 years old. It was a lightly driven supervisor's truck.

I got on KBB.com and put in the specs. KBB says the "dealer retail" price on the truck should be somewhere in the $11-$13.5k range. Sounds good, right? KBB shows a list of "comparable vehicles" in my area so I click on the link. The closest thing I can find to "comparable" (same trim, cab, engine, etc.) is a truck with 100k on the odo and it looks like the inside of the bed rusted out and they replaced the metal with wood! That truck was listed for sale at $16,900. There was nothing listed that was even close the $13.5.

I'm still waiting on my local dealer to come up with a price on the truck I found. They need to run it through their service department before they price it. Based on what I've seen with these other listings, I'm almost expecting a price somewhere around $18k or so. So, why is there such a discrepancy between KBB, Edmunds, etc. and "the real world"?

Should I just suck it up and pay the "market price" for a truck and assume it will hold it's value? Actually, when I bought my Jeep 10 years ago, I was shocked at those prices as well. I paid $12.5 for it then and could probably get $7500-8,500 now. Are pickups like Jeeps?

Or should I buy the "forever truck" now and spend somewhere around $45k for something that I would hope would last me until my kids take my keys from me?

Input is appreciated!
    glc, DRobinson, Bubber and 1 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks
    Gotta have a pic...
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	20170722_112435.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	4.90 MB
ID:	419722
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    I have had friends and relatives buy service vehicles in the past. A lot has to due with the financial health of the city and whether the vehicle was in fact a supervisors. My brother got a beautiful Crown Vic that was a supervisor vehicle and it was expertly maintained, a real tight machine.
    Sounds like a great candidate if they don't jack you up on the price. I would still expect to be putting some maintenance into it. If you keep it decent it should still hold good value when you sell it.
    I'm a sucker for new myself. I have a 2017 F350 sitting in the garage with 300 miles on it right now. You pay a fortune for one of those with a diesel but if you keep the miles down and take care of them they hold their value like no other domestic vehicle.
    I'm not too sure about getting a new gas truck at this time with so many brands going to start-stop and cylinder deactivation and all that.

Be sure to let us know how they treat you.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(07-28-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    I'd go on line and spend some time on the web sites of the big three and GMC, and also Toyota, Nissan, and maybe Honda. Build a lot of trucks, and check out new prices.

You may find that there's not as large a money gap as you thought between used and a good deal on new. If you don't find a great deal on new, the time spent building will point out some things you might not have considered as you keep looking at used.

I did that a few months ago and ended up with a new GMC well under invoice, and even better, the dealer sent me an unexpected $1,000 check the next month for a GM sales incentive that they had missed.

I'd think hard before buying a truck like the one you pictured. Those rear opening doors in the supercab are a real pain if you are loading people or groceries in the back seat in a parking lot.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 07-28-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added door comment
    mjncad and Robnik like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(07-28-2017)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    I'd buy a Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve Diesel 4dr crew for 60k, if you want a good forever truck.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buckteeth445 For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(07-29-2017)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 02:12 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    I'd buy a Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve Diesel 4dr crew for 60k, if you want a good forever truck.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Those are nice trucks but I don't understand the pricing. I bought my 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie with the Cummins for less than I could have bought a 1/2 ton Nissan. My brand loyalty was destroyed by Ford recently but I could have bought a F350 with a PSD for the same money as well. So, nice trucks, but for a truck that can't begin to do what a 2500 or a F350 does, I don't understand how they're getting that price out of them.
    2016 5085E
    2014 318e
    2009 997
    1958 Fordson Dexta

12. The Following User Says Thank You to addy For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(07-29-2017)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 02:12 AM
    Thanks
    I recently helped my step-son buy a fleet maintained Ram; 2011 Ram 1500 W/ 300K miles. I have never seen an engine this well maintained. It was $6K under book (however, see below). We bought it and no issues or regrets. I would not hesitate to buy a fleet maintained vehicle that has records.

That brings me to the KBB's of the world. Autotrader bought KBB in 2010. I tried to sell a vehicle on AT once and it was a disaster. Only wholesalers called me. And they all grossly underbid the value of the car and always referred me to KBB values, which was significantly less than Edwards. Things that make you go hmmmmm....

So now I pull up all the appraisal guides and do an aggregate to get to the value.
    Last edited by addy; 07-28-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    mjncad, DRobinson, em14 and 2 others like this.
    2016 5085E
    2014 318e
    2009 997
    1958 Fordson Dexta

14. The Following User Says Thank You to addy For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(07-29-2017)

15. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    Those are nice trucks but I don't understand the pricing. I bought my 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie with the Cummins for less than I could have bought a 1/2 ton Nissan. My brand loyalty was destroyed by Ford recently but I could have bought a F350 with a PSD for the same money as well. So, nice trucks, but for a truck that can't begin to do what a 2500 or a F350 does, I don't understand how they're getting that price out of them.
    You make a valid point, they are like a Raptor, aka over priced f150. I'm sticking with my z71 Silverado, good value for the $, although, I wish I had a longer bed than 5', the 4dr Crew cab is a good trade-off.

3025e
    mjncad, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to buckteeth445 For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(07-29-2017)

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Thanks
    Mark:

I'd say you're getting good advice, and it's a tough call as to whether to go new or used. I prefer new as I drive them till they die; but I choke at modern pickup truck prices and have a hard time with the thought of $50k, $60k, or more for one. I paid about $26k and change for the 1999 F-250 XLT 4x4 long bed super-cab with a V-10 and 5-speed manual when I ordered the truck. An online inflation calculator I use says that truck would be about $38k and change in 2017 dollars.

I guess you need to ask yourself the following questions:

1. Can I afford it?

2. Do I want or need it?

3. Do I normally trade vehicles frequently, or do I keep them until the wheels fall off?

4. How is my health, and is it realistic to buy such a truck to last you out?

5. Can you stomach the insurance costs and license fees? I know this varies around the country.

6. If you finance the thing, a used vehicle generally carries a shorter term and higher interest rate than a new vehicle that may result in similar payments. Of course you pay off the used one quicker; but if it's a sleeper lemon you may pay it off just in time to replace it.

Of course there are other questions to ask yourself. I have the rear opening doors, and we don't have kids and pets, so stuffing living things back there is not an issue for me. Yeah, there are times the doors could open wider, and if I were to do it again I'd probably get a crew-cab for the extra interior storage room; but a super-cab sure beats a regular cab any day.
    Last edited by mjncad; 07-29-2017 at 01:05 AM.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(07-29-2017)

19. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by addy View Post
    Sounds like prices haven't changed much in 24 years. Back then I had a new 1993 Dodge W250 diesel 2 door 8' bed truck. It was a loaded LE model. One day I'm driving by a Toyota dealership with one of my friends. He sees a little pup truck out front and begged me to stop and look at it. Back then Toyota only sold compact trucks. It was also 4X4 and had all the options. Don't remember what the exact number but it was only like $3,000 cheeper then my truck. The Cummings engine option was around $3,000 and Toyota didn't even offer a diesel (in the US anyway). So comparing gas engines the trucks were around the same price. Like you stated no comparison between the two.

I'm also not a fan of the super cab trucks. The ones with the rear suicide doors. 4 door models have a B pillar that connects the roof to the floor. In my opinion this is a way stronger design. Especially if you are ever get T boned.
    mjncad, johnH123 and Robnik like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

mark02tj(07-29-2017)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast