Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cheesetrain

Thread: Denver auto show

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Thanks

Denver auto show

Today a couple of friends of mine from the renewable energy lab and I went to the Denver auto show, which is similar to the Chicago auto show; but smaller.

Anyway, Iíll try not to bore you with stuff on average cars that us mere mortals can afford; nor on the exotics that were present (e.g. Bentley, Aston-Martin, Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche, etc); but on a couple of things that I found of interest.

The first and most impressive to me was the Tesla model S 4-door sedan. The Tesla is an all electric car made in the former GM/Toyota joint venture factory known as NUMMI (New United Motor Manufacturing Incorporated as I recall) in the bay area of California that produced non-descript Chevy Novaís/Toyota Corollaís of the 80ís and 90ís. Now the model S is a niche market vehicle with a high price tag of about $100k per pop; but of all the pure electrics on the market it comes the closest to my criteria of a vehicle that has a 300 Ė 500 mile range and can refill (charge) in a period of time comparable to a dino fuels powered car to make all electrics viable as a replacement for traditional internal combustion engines. I loved the minimalist simplicity of the vehicle; both mechanically and interior wise. The center stack is a large 17Ē touch screen that appears from a few minutes of sitting in the car to be relatively intuitive and possibly in HD. There were few mechanical controls. Open the hood, and itís a trunk like an original Beetle or Corvair. Open the trunk and itís a trunk. All the mechanicals are out of sight. This vehicle comes the closest to the statement Mr. Spock made to Chief Engineer Scott in the original Star Trek series (Spockís brain) of warp drive engines the size of walnuts. I just wish the car had the 4-camera 360-degree view offered by Nissan/Infinity that my wifeís ~$25,000 - ~$28,000 Rogue has. Unlike most manufacturers, Tesla has company owned stores instead of franchised dealers, which the union infested states of the Midwest and east coast have heartburn with, and are trying to block Tesla from setting up shop. Also on Teslaís website I noticed they list Supercharging (aka rapid charging) stations that reminds me of Mercedes-Benz publishing a list of diesel stations for their customers at that time (circa 1970ís). At the Tesla website, Solar City is mentioned as a partner. Solar City, Tesla, and Space X were all founded by billionaire Elon Musk. I think the companyís namesake Nicola Tesla would be proud. Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

2 or 3 years ago, we noticed that Hyundai was attempting to move up-market with their ~$70k Equus luxury 4-door sedan. Unlike Honda, Toyota, and Nissan that set up separate upscale brands (e.g. Acura, Lexus, Infiniti); Hyundai didnít create their own upscale brand name. Given how much bang-for-the-buck Hyundai was offering in the Azera sedan; I can only assume the Equus offers a similar amount of goodies that would cost over $100k from M-B, BMW, and others. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/equus/comparison.aspx

Anyway, Hyundaiís little sister company KIA (Killed-In-Action as I call it) has done the same with the K900, which is known as the K9 in the non-English speaking part of the world (canít imagine why). The floor model offered a V8 and I about **** a brick when I saw the just under ~$70k price tagÖfor a KIA! My NREL buddy used to own a Ford (KIA) Festiva, and I commented that little KIA has grown up. I still canít get over $70k for a damn KIA! 2015 Kia K900 Luxury Sedan | Challenge the Luxury You Know

Anyway, thatís my report on the 2014 Denver auto show.

p.s. Although the Denver auto show is nowhere near the European versions; there was a decent amount of 2-legged eye-candy on display.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reviews! I don't really look much at Kias, but Hyundai has impressed me. My sister has one (I don't know the model) and they are definitely excellent values.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    The Tesla sounds pretty cool.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Thanks
    I remember the original mid 80's POS Hyundai Excel's; but they have really cleaned up their act since then. Over the past few years the Hyundai Azera has offered a lot of bang for the buck. For some reason they don't advertise that model much. If they made a coupe version of the Azera I'd get interested. The Genesis coupe seems lacking in equipment that is offered in the sedan version.

I guess Hyundai wants its sister company KIA to go upmarket too. Maybe they are bracing themselves against the eventual onslaught of cheap POS Chinese cars that will eventually hit the North American market.

As I keep telling my buddy at the renewable energy lab that for all electric cars to become mainstream they need a 300 - 500 mile range regardless of weather, and a recharge rate comparable to dino powered vehicles refueling times. The Tesla comes the closest. I also like Elon Musk's entrepreneurial spirit.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks

Denver auto show

If you've never seen a Tesla up close they are quite a striking car to look at. A co worker of mine owns one and drew a crowd in the parking lot when he drove it to work the first time. Very sharp looking car, not like anything else on the road but not over the top different. A few of the detail
    bits I picked up on the car-- it has ten total moving parts, instant acceleration from the electric motors and my favorite, the car has it's own web IP address. We joked with the owner about him not being able to drive to work cuz his car had caught a computer virus. He had to get the car from Chicago and was on
    a wait list for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cheesetrain; 04-14-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    mjncad likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements