Green Tractor Talk banner

Parking lot scrape - how to reapir?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  gbnpp05 
#1 ·
We both always park out in the boonies in parking lots. Yesterday was a tough day to begin with and Mrs. C went to the pharmacy to get my prescriptions. The parking lot was full which gave her no choice but to park next to other vehicles.

The result -

Front fender:

Vehicle Alloy wheel Car Wheel Tire

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Alloy wheel Wheel

Rear fender:

Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Tire Fender

It doesn't look it in the photos but there is no gouge or scape in the metal at all - at all the places it is just the paint.

I know nothing about auto body repair and am not even good with a spray can. But for an 18 year old car I just want to paint it over with the proper color paint and clearcoat. I've found some on-line outfits that will sell a 12oz aerasol can of paint and clear coat for around $50 plus shipping.

https://touchupdirect.com/shop/touc...=aerosol&attribute_pa_paint-package=essential

I don't know if a place like this is legit. Looks easy enough to mask off the area and spray.

https://d13u3x4md18nsp.cloudfront.net/app/uploads/2014/11/EcoSpray-Instructions_Site.pdf

Would this be just a waste of money? Any other ideas that are cheap and easy?

See less See more
#6 ·
First off I apologize - upon further investigation I see that the fenders are some type of plastic.

That's what I needed to know - that I can get the paint I need in an aerosol can at Advance Auto. As long as I can get the paint and clearcoat there - should I still use a primer being the fenders are plastic? What about sanding - should I sand the areas first and if so what grit should I use?

Feeling all the areas that were scraped they feel quite rough - rough as in they feel like they would if sanded already with rough sandpaper.

I will likely be heading there after the weekend and want to pick up everything I need.

#7 ·
Maybe a professionally made decal to cover the scratch,,,

Coaltrain Mowing Service
Phone - 555-2510
Your Grass Is OUR Concern!!!

And, the income from mowing will pay for a NEW car!! :good2:

#12 ·
She is fine - it happened in a Rite-Aid parking lot while she was inside.

I assume whoever hit the car was long gone before she noticed the damage.
Yeah - long gone. In fact she never noticed it being it is on the passenger side. I went out to the barn for something yesterday and noticed it. She had no idea.

My heart just sank, Stan, when I saw those pictures. I know how well you take care of your equipment and your vehicles and I'm sure you're just sick about it.

I don't know anything about body work, so I'd have to go with SuperGliderSport's recommendation of going to a pro. I know that I couldn't do anything that would be worth looking at.

As long as you and the Mrs. are OK, everything will work out.
Yeah - we are both pretty upset about it, but it is what it is. Even though it is an 18 year old car it still looks pretty much like new. And we just put some money into it getting the timing belt done, new tires, and some other needed maintenance. And I had just detailed it a couple days before. Mrs. C is so proud of her little turbo diesel Beetle Bug.

But you guys are right on. I am no good with even trying to paint something with a spray can. I am going to take it to a body shop and get an estimate - we don't need it to be pristine being the car has such little actual value but absolutely need to hide this more for our own sentiments. There are no detail shops around here so I will try to find a body shop that is willing to just "buff it out".

Thanks for all the replies - you made me realize that I shouldn't attempt this myself. I would likely make a mess of it and be worse than it is now - and make more work then if I took it to a shop for a proper repair.

#9 ·
Stan,

You might want to take it to an auto detail shop and see what they can do with it. They'll probably wet sand the scuffed area with very fine paper and then buff the majority of the scuffs out. Then what's left can be easily touched-up. Some higher end detail shops can also spot paint the bad areas.

If you're not proficient with prep & paint work the end result is going to grind your gears every time you look at the car.

I know how you feel about the hit & run deal. Total BS but remember. Karma!

#10 ·
I assume whoever hit the car was long gone before she noticed the damage.

#11 ·
My heart just sank, Stan, when I saw those pictures. I know how well you take care of your equipment and your vehicles and I'm sure you're just sick about it.

I don't know anything about body work, so I'd have to go with SuperGliderSport's recommendation of going to a pro. I know that I couldn't do anything that would be worth looking at.

As long as you and the Mrs. are OK, everything will work out.

#13 ·
Stan, I did notice, not one person said " That will BUFF Right Out". My guess , not this time. Unfortunately , gone are the days when a person owns up to what they have done. Always the lowlife damage control attitude. In my area we have a rash of hit and run accidents resulting really serious injurys or death. I think Buffalo area has had 7 or 8 this year. Started with a Dr. driving drunk hitting and killing a girl on a skate board. He got off with a slap on the wrist. It took off from there.
Be glad the wife was not exiting the car when this happened.

#14 ·
Oh Stan, this just makes me sick. I am wondering, to minimize costs, if you did try rubbing compound and then polishing compound on the areas that aren't down to bare metal. My MIL scraped her brand new blue Escape against something white. I used the compounds and light pressure and was able to care of most of it, none of it was down to bare metal luckily. She is living with the rest of it. Keep us posted[emoji1360]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.